Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 7)

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2013, 10:16
stargazer61
Forum Member

I think we all need to be careful here. As far as the "accused" is concerned it was a false, malicious or mistaken claim. As far as the "victim" is concerned it was none of those things. By saying the police weed out the false claims then it is close to saying that the "accused" is guilty before they have had a fair trial.

There are two views, only one can be correct and it has to be the courts that decide that, not keyboard warriors on DS.

ETA. Having said all of that, I do agree that calling someone mentally disturbed is not right either.
I'm sorry, I did not explain my point very well.Yes, it is totally up to a jury to decide as whether the accused is guilty or not. Presumed innocent until found guilty is quite fundamental.

What I meant by the police weeding out false or malicicious claims, is that some claims are, upon investigation, patently false. e.g the accused could have been out of the country for 6 months when the allegation is made. The accuser may indeed have a history of making all sorts of false accusations (very rare but it does happen). All this needs to be established and, hopefully, sufficient evidence, even if circumstantial, gathered to allow the CPS to let the case go before a jury.
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18
pinkpowerranger
Forum Member

Stuart Hall has admitted 14 sexual assaults on children as young as 9

ETA http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-...cent-assaults/
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19
Asmo
Forum Member

Sky News: Stuart Hall has admitted 14 counts of indecent assault on children as young as 9 years old

Admission was made in an earlier hearing, but has only been made public today.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19
stargazer61
Forum Member

Sky news ...Stuart Hall admits guilt to 14 charges of indecent assault on children as young as 9
Old 02-05-2013, 10:20
*Clem*
Forum Member

Whaat? Wow I didn't think he'd admit it..
Old 02-05-2013, 10:20
divingbboy
Forum Member

At least he spared the victims from having to give evidence, I suppose.
divingbboy is offline Follow this poster on Twitter  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21
JSemple3
Forum Member

Stuart Hall has admitted 14 sexual assaults on children as young as 9

ETA http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-...cent-assaults/
Well! I was kind of hoping it wasn't true when it first came out about this but god um wow
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22
stargazer61
Forum Member

At least he spared the victims from having to give evidence, I suppose.
Small mercies, I guess
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24
divingbboy
Forum Member

He actually pleaded guilty last month, but reporting restrictions have only now been lifted. Weird.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:30
echorose
Forum Member

But hasn't he been charged with rape of a 22year old and more assault charges? What happened to those charges?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34
divingbboy
Forum Member

Apparently, the rape charge has been left on file.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35
IzzyS
Forum Member

I just spotted this:-

Grace Dent: Bill Roache is the latest celebrity in the dock and we’re the judge and jury. It all makes me uneasy
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...y-8599402.html
don't have time to read the whole thing but I read the start - seems a good article. I agree with what I read. I also note it mentions Bill Roache's arrest wasn't linked to Operation Yewtree but I noticed posts here (either this thread or in GD forum?) yesterday stating it was - probably just presuming that to be the case. The lines are getting blurred somewhat - I imagine anyone famous charged with abuse or assault of underage girls at the moment, people will think its part of Operation Yewtree and/or linked to JS.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:36
divingbboy
Forum Member

His wikipedia entry got an update:

"James Stuart Hall, OBE (born 25 December 1929) is an English rapist, radio and television presenter."
Old 02-05-2013, 10:39
stargazer61
Forum Member

Looks like the woman who alleged rape has decided not to pursue her claim as he has pleaded guilty to the other offences. I think I understand that
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41
echorose
Forum Member

How can you have a charge like that left on file!

I don't understand our justice system
Old 02-05-2013, 10:42
echorose
Forum Member

Looks like the woman who alleged rape has decided not to pursue her claim as he has pleaded guilty to the other offences. I think I understand that
Oh I see. I guess its up to her.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43
divingbboy
Forum Member

How can you have a charge like that left on file!

I don't understand our justice system
Presumably, the victim consented to it being left on file on the basis that he was pleading guilty to the child offences.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45
divingbboy
Forum Member

Apparently, most of his victims were daughters of his friends. Bloody hell.........
Old 02-05-2013, 10:46
stargazer61
Forum Member

Oh I see. I guess its up to her.
She may well have felt that, as he has pleaded guilty to other serious offences, then he will get some sort of sentence and feels that is enough for her to see that justice has been served.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:10
basdfg
Forum Member

Sky News: Stuart Hall has admitted 14 counts of indecent assault on children as young as 9 years old

Admission was made in an earlier hearing, but has only been made public today.
Maybe the reason it was not published is that the CPS have decided to drop a rape charge and the other two charges he did not confess to. However they had not been dropped last month so it could not be announced in case those charges went to trial.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18
dodrade
Forum Member

Apologies for being dim but what does that actually mean? Is it the same as being left on the books? Can they be reinstated at a later date?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:22
Asmo
Forum Member

Apparently, most of his victims were daughters of his friends. Bloody hell.........
And apparently in each case the parents were made aware of what happened (by the child), choosing just to keep them away from Hall from then on.
I suspect the fact that friends and associates of Hall's also support the accusations went some way to making him admit it rather than have a trial where they would testify against him.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:26
Freeman000
Forum Member

What was wrong with men back then? Even taking into account that some of the famous faces from the 70s and 80s who have been charged or arrested are innocent, that still leaves a worryingly high proportion of male TV stars from that era as child abusers...and then there's all those we don't know about. Just how many more men from this era will be outed?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32
stargazer61
Forum Member

What was wrong with men back then? Even taking into account that some of the famous faces from the 70s and 80s who have been charged or arrested are innocent, that still leaves a worryingly high proportion of male TV stars from that era as child abusers...and then there's all those we don't know about. Just how many more men from this era will be outed?
It was NOT just celeb men. Groping etc. just happened.....it was simply not viewed in the same way as it is today. Many things were just shrugged off as being 'that is the way it is' especially in attitudes of men towards women. It is difficult to seperate todays cultural/moral standards with what was 'accepted' in the past
Old 02-05-2013, 11:33
stargazer61
Forum Member

Apologies for being dim but what does that actually mean? Is it the same as being left on the books? Can they be reinstated at a later date?
The accuser has decided not to pursue the case in court. If she wishes to proceed in the future, then the case could be re-instated.

Closed Thread