Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Deanna Durbin dies

Old 01-05-2013, 15:59
Jimmy Connors
Forum Member

Can't find a thread on this.

91 years old .... I was watching a film of hers a few weeks ago on YouTube. What a beautiful voice she had.

RIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22364605
Jimmy Connors is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-05-2013, 16:00
stvn758
Forum Member

My Mum loves her, she had a good innings as they say.
stvn758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 16:43
Sloopy
Forum Member

Sad to hear about this, not widely publicised. Still, 91 is a solid innings.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 17:33
Walter Neff
Forum Member

Both Deanna and Judy Garland made their film debut in a ten minute MGM short, entitled, Every Sunday Afternoon, released in 1936.

Deanna retired aged just 27, and seemed to have had a happy and fulfilling life, she also outlived Judy by 44 years, not bad going.
Walter Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 18:54
BritFlicks1
Forum Member

I don't mean this in a nasty way but I thought she was already dead.

RIP.
BritFlicks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 18:58
mrcynical
Forum Member

That's a hell of a retirement.
mrcynical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 00:08
IRITALIA
Forum Member

One forgets just what a huge, huge star she was in her heyday. RIP.
IRITALIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:26
GORTONIAN
Forum Member

Both Deanna and Judy Garland made their film debut in a ten minute MGM short, entitled, Every Sunday Afternoon, released in 1936.

Deanna retired aged just 27, and seemed to have had a happy and fulfilling life, she also outlived Judy by 44 years, not bad going.
She did indeed...After two marriages broke down and producers wanting to shoe box her into the same roles she decided enough was enough met and wed Henri David and moved to France.
She apparently continued to sing for her family and friends and despite being offered millions of pounds over the years to make concert appearances and films (they were particularly interested in pairing her with Mario Lanza) resisted ALL attempts to do so...how different from todays called "celebs"
Having said that never forgot her fans and remember had it not been for her films Universal studios would have gone bust in the 1930s
RIP Deanna ..x
GORTONIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:12
Bungitin
Forum Member

Golly.

IIRC she kept Universal profitable so they could make Abbott and Costello films.
Bungitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25
angelafisher
Forum Member

Can't find a thread on this.

91 years old .... I was watching a film of hers a few weeks ago on YouTube. What a beautiful voice she had.

RIP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22364605
Sad news, I enjoyed her films and thought her singing was lovely.
angelafisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:57
jeff_vader
Forum Member

Love musicals and, yes, sad news. She was worthy of that title Living Legend. Can't be many of the classic MGM musical stars left (Mickey Rooney?).
jeff_vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42
Walter Neff
Forum Member

Love musicals and, yes, sad news. She was worthy of that title Living Legend. Can't be many of the classic MGM musical stars left (Mickey Rooney?).
Thankfully, Debbie Reynolds, Jane Powell, and Leslie Caron are still with us, as is the amazing Marge Champion at 93, and the fabulous swimmer, Esther Williams at 91.
Walter Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:35
Birdsworth
Forum Member

In her time she was probably the biggest star in the world, but because she retired so young, she'd been all but forgotten. Coverage of her death has been miniscule which is very sad, although perhaps that's what she would have wanted.

Fantastic voice, and it seems like she had a very happy retirement, so RIP Miss Durbin.
Birdsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38
Birdsworth
Forum Member

Golly.

IIRC she kept Universal profitable so they could make Abbott and Costello films.
So, she wasn't all good, then.

She was still one of the best, despite that criminal behaviour.
Birdsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:27
Cstar2229
Forum Member

Sad, my mum loves her voice
Cstar2229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 17:54
FilliA
Forum Member

Didn't Joseph Cotton kick Louella Parsons in her rear end for besmirching Deanna's honour in her horrible gossip column?
Deanna was lovely, I saw all her films in a BBC2 Saturday afternoon season when I was a child. Lovely that she had such a long happy life after her retirement.
FilliA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 20:08
Flanno
Forum Member

Didn't Joseph Cotton kick Louella Parsons in her rear end for besmirching Deanna's honour in her horrible gossip column?
Deanna was lovely, I saw all her films in a BBC2 Saturday afternoon season when I was a child. Lovely that she had such a long happy life after her retirement.
Actually it was Hedda Hopper whom Joseph Cotten pulled a chair from under her at a social event after she published a story of Joseph & Deanna committing an extramartial affair together in her gossip column. Joseph kept pulling the chair several times as she attempted to sit down.

Also it was Spencer Tracy who actually kicked Hedda's rear-end at a Hollywood nightclub after she did a similiar thing by hinting that Spencer & Katharine Hepburn were more than just friends in her gossip column.
Flanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 22:40
Fizzbin
Forum Member

From when my Mum was young until she was a teenager, the only films her mother would allow her to watch at the cineams were Deanna Durbin ones. Anything else (even cartoons) would have too much sexual content for her. My grandmother was a very dour woman with an uncanny resemblance to Queen Victoria, but had they met, Victoria would have told her to damn well cheer up and stop being so frumpy.
Fizzbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 23:09
Jimmy Connors
Forum Member

There are some lovely anecdotes and stories about Deanna in this thread.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:23
GORTONIAN
Forum Member

There are some lovely anecdotes and stories about Deanna in this thread.
There are Jimmy.
A couple more ...Her first screen kiss was from Robert Stack (Elliot Ness from the tv show The Untouchables)and just to prove her popularity ..many cinemas block booked seven of her films together in a promotion called Seven Happy Days With Deanna Durbin showing one a night and packing cinemas out....we are talking 2500 seater venues not the mini screens we have today...How many "stars" could do that now??
GORTONIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:15
MJS
Forum Member

Actually it was Hedda Hopper whom Joseph Cotten pulled a chair from under her at a social event after she published a story of Joseph & Deanna committing an extramartial affair together in her gossip column. Joseph kept pulling the chair several times as she attempted to sit down.

Also it was Spencer Tracy who actually kicked Hedda's rear-end at a Hollywood nightclub after she did a similiar thing by hinting that Spencer & Katharine Hepburn were more than just friends in her gossip column.
Both Louella and Hopper wrote very malicious colums, but for once Hopper told the truth about Tracy/Hepburn. They had a very long ongoing affair which lasted until he died. I read somewhere he and his wife were RC so he couldn't/wouldn't divorce his wife.

But that aside I'm very sad to hear that Deanna has died. As has been said she had a beautiful voice.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:48
Metal Mickey
Forum Member

In her time she was probably the biggest star in the world, but because she retired so young, she'd been all but forgotten. Coverage of her death has been miniscule which is very sad, although perhaps that's what she would have wanted.
Just to echo this, really - she was an absolutely massive star in her time, and so loved, yet she's very much a movie footnote today... and I have to admit, that if you'd asked me last week, I'd have said she was already dead, too.

But, she had a fabulous voice, and brought genuine happiness to a lot of people in a short time, including my Mum RIP Deanna.
Metal Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 16:07
Old'un
Forum Member

Aw..my Dad loved her - just last week found an old video of hers in one of our charity shops which I bought for him - sorry to hear the news
Old'un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 21:36
cyril-furr
Inactive Member

Yes some great tributes to the late, great Deanna.

My late mother loved her voice & in fact tried to sing like her & entertained my Dad's mates with her singing at RAF Henlow during WW2.

Deanna was equal in popularity to Vera Lynn in those difficult times.

My Fav titles?
"When april sings", from the very rare film: Spring Parade
&
"There will aways be an England" from Nice girl.

Yes, rest in peace Deanna - not only a great singer, but one who "Did her bit" in her own way, to help rid the world of evil dictators, such as Hitler.
cyril-furr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 22:55
Jimmy Connors
Forum Member

Yes some great tributes to the late, great Deanna.

My late mother loved her voice & in fact tried to sing like her & entertained my Dad's mates with her singing at RAF Henlow during WW2.

Deanna was equal in popularity to Vera Lynn in those difficult times.

My Fav titles?
"When april sings", from the very rare film: Spring Parade
&
"There will aways be an England" from Nice girl.

Yes, rest in peace Deanna - not only a great singer, but one who "Did her bit" in her own way, to help rid the world of evil dictators, such as Hitler.
Cyril, 'Spring Parade' is on YT in its entirety. I watched it a few weeks ago with my youngest (who loved it too)

It's a wonderful film, with wonderful performances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT32OjDYX5Q