Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Morecambe and Wise Writer Eddie Braben Dies

Old 21-05-2013, 11:04
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

RIP. The man behind some of TV's funniest moments http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22607531
Eddie Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-05-2013, 11:27
stvn758
Forum Member

Never realised someone actually wrote their stuff, they always made it look like a couple of blokes having a laugh and making it up as they went along.
stvn758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 11:35
codeblue
Forum Member

Never realised someone actually wrote their stuff, they always made it look like a couple of blokes having a laugh and making it up as they went along.
Absolutely not.
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 11:44
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

Everything they did was very carefully rehearsed over and over. They had the skill and timing to make it look like they were ad-libbing.
Eddie Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 12:30
iaindb
Forum Member

Sad news. And one of M&W's BBC producers, John Ammonds, died in February. It really feels like the end of an era.

iaindb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 12:55
Evs814
Forum Member

This is so sad. What a genius. He refined the on screen relationship and created the personas of M & W so it was required viewing through the 70s and early 80s
Evs814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 14:00
soundcheck
Forum Member

Everything they did was very carefully rehearsed over and over. They had the skill and timing to make it look like they were ad-libbing.
Saw a programme a year or so after Eric's death, where Eddie Braben was talking about what it was like working with the pair. He talked about the famous piano sketch, featuring Andre (Mr Preview) Previn, and said that Eric in particular spent HOURS just walking backwards and forwards on the set, moving the piano and stool backwards and forwards, tripping on different steps, until he was satisfied that he had made the whole thing as funny as it could be. Braben said that this was fairly common.
soundcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 14:06
dorydaryl
Forum Member

Seen him interviewed a few times. Likeable chap. Sad to read this. R.I.P, Eddie.
dorydaryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 14:57
Blueju
Forum Member

Seen him interviewed a few times. Likeable chap. Sad to read this. R.I.P, Eddie.
Very much so. The Morecambe and Wise vintage years were a result of Eddie's superb writing and reflected how he "got" the duo completely. From one Scouse to another, Goodnight and God bless Eddie...you brought us sunshine.
Blueju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 15:21
mrblank
Forum Member

oh come off it you didnt really think that
mrblank is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:55
konebyvax
Forum Member

Saw a programme a year or so after Eric's death, where Eddie Braben was talking about what it was like working with the pair. He talked about the famous piano sketch, featuring Andre (Mr Preview) Previn, and said that Eric in particular spent HOURS just walking backwards and forwards on the set, moving the piano and stool backwards and forwards, tripping on different steps, until he was satisfied that he had made the whole thing as funny as it could be. Braben said that this was fairly common.

And i remember seeing an interview with Andrew Preview who said at the time he was too busy to rehearse the sketch as much as M&W wanted and that stressed Eric out. The genius of the two of them was to make everything look so ad libbed when in actual fact the show was rehearsed to within an inch of its life.
konebyvax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 18:58
stvn758
Forum Member

Obviously, but when they were just stood there chatting, really didn't look like someone would have written it.

Next you'll be telling me Ant & Dec have writers.
stvn758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 19:15
NotaTypo
Forum Member

And that was down to the genius of Morcambe and Wise and Braben.

I saw The Play What I Wrote a few years ago and I not only was it very funny, but it had a warmth and affection to it that moved me.

RIP Mr Braben. You brought me sunshine.
NotaTypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 01:41
DavetheScot
Forum Member

RIP. Thanks for all the laughs.
DavetheScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 01:48
Bungitin
Forum Member

Without Eric Braben the M&W act would have been just like other duos. M&W changed when they went back to ITV and left EB behind.
Bungitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 11:01
Salbates
Forum Member

R.I.P Eric
Salbates is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2013, 22:57
Nesta Robbins
Forum Member

but the fact people think that, is a compliment to the man himself, such a good writer that their pairing seemed completely natural and the dialogue flowing and effortless!
Nesta Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 01:08
pothuthic
Forum Member

RIP Braben
pothuthic is online now Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote