Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Which Sitcom Classic Would You Like to Revive?

Old 21-06-2013, 10:50
Nessun Dorma
Forum Member

2 Point 4 Children though I would have David and Jenny as the main characters playing parents , David has a son (a minature David, into violence and dead bodies LOL) and a newborn daughter, there mum and David's wife died during childbirth so David is now living back with Bill (Ben is also sadly announced as to of died a few years ago )

Jenny is living with Keith (the guy she met at uni) tho in these modern times they arent married, Jenny has one daughter from another partner and is pregnant with another by Keith. Jenny and Keith however are always aruging so Jenny is always found back home.

Bill is happy that she has her family but misses Ben terribly, Bill meets David's father in law who is also widowed and these two get close through the series but Bill finds it difficult to let another man in after Ben's death. Jenny, David and Rona all try and help her.

Rona is still around and chasing men,Tony has left her for a younger women. Her and Bill are still running there catering business and Christine is there employer
Sounds a bit familiar, but I don't know why.
Nessun Dorma is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 21-06-2013, 12:55
FluxCapacitor
Forum Member

Only if it went back to basics. One linear storyline in real time; no need for slapstick or musical montages (don't mind things like the dance scenes to Mambo No 5).

Think there is scope for Carole to become a main character as she has potential, but there is no need for jokes like leaving the Xmas tree up all year round to save time putting it up again and having the sofa being like Mary Poppins magical bag.

Think they can make use of shows like Pointless, Call The Midwife and The Apprentice for social commentary. Keep it in the lounge/kitchen of the Royles and don't go anywhere and don't have Denise as a lazy mother.
Agreed - on all points. I'd also want the kids to feature. It's getting a bit tedious (and highly unrealistic) that they're never seen any more. Sure Little David is now around the same age Anthony was when the series first started?!

I even think a few 30 min specials over the Christmas period would be better than the one hour long special. They seem to really struggle when it's stretched out that long...
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 15:05
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

Spitting Image. Not really a sitcom, but they would have such a field day if it returned.
I can imagine what they would have made of the 2010 General Election
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 15:13
L_Roberts
Forum Member

Only When I Laugh.

A sitcom carried by a stellar cast, with every episode being damn funny. All four main actors are still alive and working. Does not seem any disagreements there. If ITV wants to create a 60 minute one-off episode in which Glover, Figgis and Binns find themselves sharing the same hospital room in their twilight years...
L_Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 15:48
woot_whoo
Inactive Member

I can imagine what they would have made of the 2010 General Election
Politicians of today don't seem to have the personalities (good or bad) of the politicians of the 80s (and before). They all come across as PR friendly, set-speech quoting automatons. There don't seem to be the quirks and idiosyncrasies that would lend themselves to caricature.

They did try with 2D TV, though - which brough in celebrities as well as politicians.
woot_whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 16:18
boksbox
Forum Member

Can you imagine Friends in 2013? all the characters sitting around, heads down using Twitter
boksbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 16:53
Nessun Dorma
Forum Member

Only When I Laugh.

A sitcom carried by a stellar cast, with every episode being damn funny. All four main actors are still alive and working. Does not seem any disagreements there. If ITV wants to create a 60 minute one-off episode in which Glover, Figgis and Binns find themselves sharing the same hospital room in their twilight years...
Or perhaps a care home that goes bust and they all end up on the streets; that would make more real to life.
Nessun Dorma is offline   Reply With Quote