Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Pacific Rim is so going to flop..

Old 01-07-2013, 13:25
Metal Mickey
Forum Member

I have a lot of faith in GDT, but there are a number of strikes against the movie becoming a super-hit;

1) a dreadful title that means nothing to the general public,
2) a few recognisable faces, but no stars,
3) and it looks like another just Transformers movie from the trailers and posters.

I'd be wary of the "buzz" too - it could mean it'll be another Avengers, or it could be the next Snakes On A Plane or Scott Pilgrim...

It's virtually impossible for a blockbuster movie to actually lose money worldwide (especially with DVD & TV sales factored in), so "flop" is a relative term, but I think this could "underperform" without stellar word-of-mouth...
Metal Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-07-2013, 13:49
Gemma_Harding
Forum Member

Have to admit, when I first saw the trailer my mum turned round to me and said, "Another Transformers movie?"
Gemma_Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 15:16
Nattie01
Forum Member

I'm looking forward to it. I have seen lots of bus posters- every one in Leeds seems to have one at the moment - and one advert on TV but have to agree that cinema advertising has been virtually non-existent

As for a film needing "big" names to guarantee success. How many LOTR stars were "big" names before the films?
Nattie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 17:50
shoestring25
Forum Member

i think it will look amazing andi hope it will do ok
shoestring25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 18:33
Darthchaffinch
Forum Member

I'm looking forward to it. I have seen lots of bus posters- every one in Leeds seems to have one at the moment - and one advert on TV but have to agree that cinema advertising has been virtually non-existent

As for a film needing "big" names to guarantee success. How many LOTR stars were "big" names before the films?
Viggo mortenson
Ian McKellen
Ian Holm
Sean Bean
Bloke from Lost
Christopher Lee
Bloke from Matrix

Darthchaffinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:29
Aurora04
Forum Member

I have seen it and in my opinion it was awful.
Aurora04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:43
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

Erm..true. But LotR was a book once, or so I'm told. Some people may even have read it.

Whereas Pacific Rim is just....Pacific Rim.
Johnny Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:33
MrSuper
Forum Member

I have seen it and in my opinion it was awful.
Sorry, but i need more.

When, where and how? Give us your proper review of the film.
MrSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:33
Darthchaffinch
Forum Member

Sorry, but i need more.

When, where and how? Give us your proper review of the film.
yes please enlighten us!!!
Darthchaffinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

I haven't heard of any preview screenings of the film, so I doubt anyone outside of the cast and crew has seen it ..
JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 00:28
Motthus
Forum Member

I've read that the reviews for Pacific Rim are embargoed but I don't know untill when.Im guessing it will be early next week as the film is out next Friday!
Motthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:37
MrSuper
Forum Member

Anyone seen the DS story of celebs praising the movie?

Tweets smell something fishy! In my opinion.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:57
NinjyBear
Forum Member

Elba's Luther co-star Sienna Guillory also turned out for the film's debut, as did 'MMMBop' hitmakers Hanson.

Oooooookay......
NinjyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:36
Muttley76
Forum Member

I haven't heard of any preview screenings of the film, so I doubt anyone outside of the cast and crew has seen it ..
There have definitely been preview screenings, actually, with test screenings as far back as feb and march of this year. So quite a lot of people outside the cast and crew has seen it at this point.
Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 19:24
sinbad8982
Forum Member

I watched Olympus Has Fallen this morning. Damn good action flick. Had no idea it had done so poorly at the box office. It had no advertising over here that I saw of, but it should've done much better than $160m worldwide.
That's actually quite healthy for an R/15 rated movie it took just shy of $100 million in the U.S on a production budget of 80. The movie is more a less in the black already with international takings too.
sinbad8982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 22:53
Motthus
Forum Member

Both Boyd Hilton and Simon Mayo have put on twitter that they would see Pacific Rim again but they can't say anymore.Boyd them said its like Transformers with characters you actually care about!
Motthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 23:31
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

Both Boyd Hilton and Simon Mayo have put on twitter that they would see Pacific Rim again but they can't say anymore.Boyd them said its like Transformers with characters you actually care about!
Well Kanye West has tweeted that it's the greatest film he's ever seen so what more endorsement than that do you need?
JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:39
Muttley76
Forum Member

Well Kanye West has tweeted that it's the greatest film he's ever seen so what more endorsement than that do you need?
*tumbleweed*

Muttley76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 14:56
Tribute
Inactive Member

Anyway, the buzz about Pacific Rim started last year since it was the film that Del Toro left the Hobbit to make.
This is such a wildly inaccurate statement.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 17:22
RAZORBACK
Forum Member

Went to a preview screening earlier today and I thought that it was just an absolutely fantastic big budget summer blockbuster. Loved the design & implementation of both the Kaiju & Jaegers and felt the fight sequences were very well choreographed indeed.

Although performance wise the only actors that really stood out were Mana Ashida (as 'Young Mako') & Ron Perlman I still thought everyone else involved was pretty solid and I even warmed to the two (initially) very irritating research scientists by the time we were about midway through the movie. Story wise I'm not going to pretend there was anything particular deep going on here but it moved along at a decent pace and to be fair this film was more about delivering a visual spectacle (which it did in spades).

Overall this gets a 9/10 from me and as I think that it's trailers are pretty representative of the film that is on offer I'd suggest using them as a guide when deciding whether or not to go and see this when it opens nationwide on Friday...
RAZORBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 17:37
Voynich
Forum Member

It's getting publicity. My cheap Red Bull substitute (39p compared to 1.20) has it all over their cans.
Voynich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 00:26
MrSuper
Forum Member

Story wise I'm not going to pretend there was anything particular deep going on here but it moved along at a decent pace and to be fair this film was more about delivering a visual spectacle (which it did in spades).

Overall this gets a 9/10 from me and as I think that it's trailers are pretty representative of the film that is on offer
So it really is just robots fighting monsters? Remind you of Transformers at all?

By the way Idris Elba was on The One Show last night doing promo for Pacific Rim.
Old 07-07-2013, 00:55
RAZORBACK
Forum Member

So it really is just robots fighting monsters? Remind you of Transformers at all?
Well there's a bit more to it than that but yeah essentially robots vs monsters represents a substantial proportion of the film's running time.

I have to say that I didn't get a Transformers type vibe from the fight sequences, they're certainly far more fluid & less chaotic than those directed by Michael Bay.

There's a lot of shots switching between the pilots making a move & the Jaegers implementing it so it feels very much like watching a man vs animal fight than anything else...
RAZORBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:00
MrSuper
Forum Member

Well there's a bit more to it than that but yeah essentially robots vs monsters represents a substantial proportion of the film's running time.

I have to say that I didn't get a Transformers type vibe from the fight sequences, they're certainly far more fluid & less chaotic than those directed by Michael Bay.

There's a lot of shots switching between the pilots making a move & the Jaegers implementing it so it feels very much like watching a man vs animal fight than anything else...
Cool, well either way i'm still gonna check it out because the trailers do make the film look awesome!
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04
Tassium
Forum Member

The money available world-wide has obviously led the US film studios astray.

They can make films like "Pacific Rim" and they will make some money, even if the US public reject it big time.

So the world is the under-writer for US movies. At the moment.

It will probably crash and burn very soon as "the world" get's sick of the same old shallow tat.
Tassium is offline   Reply With Quote