Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The "All New" (Old) Gadget Show 2: The Re-Launch - Mondays @ 8pm on C5

Old 15-07-2013, 22:18
boksbox
Forum Member

What the hell.

Lets show people a Sony tablet and an ipad to see which they like based on name only. Come on Gadget Show you have proven you can do better than that.

Also Jon made an interesting comment.... You can get better tablets at a cheaper price, so why were they not in the test? The lack of the Nexus tablet in the test just stinks of Gadget Show I devices fix again. The Nexus 10 beats the Ipad in most areas certainly the big 3, price, design, and specs.

Very disappointing Gadget Show.

Have to admit i am also over those Tech thrills with Polly
Don't think you'll ever be satisfied
boksbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-07-2013, 23:05
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

You can get better tablets at a cheaper price, so why were they not in the test?
Probably for the same reason that if they had included the Nexus over the Sony tablet, people would have complained about the Sony tablet not being in the test. You can't test everything in a show like that.

And with regards to the survey they did, the whole point of the survey wasn't to see what tablet people preferred due to performance, spec e.t.c.., it was more a 'first impressions' sort of test.

Anyway, enjoyed the show again - the flying people build at the end was very good
JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 06:11
Blomkvist
Inactive Member

I enjoyed the cleava.....Gadget show last night.
Blomkvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 07:04
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

I enjoyed the cleava.....Gadget show last night.
Indeed. We're edging ever closer to a Riley bikini challenge .. heh
Old 16-07-2013, 08:02
Philip Wales
Forum Member

What the hell was Polly's section about, they start off saying "we've tried radio controlled cars, we've even tried a full sized radio controlled Range Rover, but here's something completely different a 1/3 scale radio controlled car...wow" so not that much different then, talk about over hype. And please are we going to see a test where Polly doesn't break the item, the last 3 she's broken!!
Philip Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 09:22
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

funny thing is, the "live feed" afterwards is looking even more pre-recorded than it clearly already is ..
Old 16-07-2013, 09:51
barclay55
Forum Member

No photocopying is a good term.
No more than taking the sample of your spit or blood could be. You still need the initial sample. I could take your discarded cigarette butt and put it in a crime scene too. DNA isn't the only thing used when finding criminals though. Mind you if you were stood over her body with an axe in your hand saying the PCR did it won't really wash
It's not copying and reproducing the whole sample though. You are taking something from the sample and reproducing it so you can analyse it properly.
Thanks Opaque, now I get it - I can see it clearly now !
barclay55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 20:15
fmradiotuner1
Forum Member

LOL there saying don't buy a camcorder any more get a Canon EOS 5 and compact camera but I dough most will ever have one due to the crazy price.
fmradiotuner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 20:24
SnapeyDS
Forum Member

Cant believe a word they say on this program. The quality of the video from that nokia phone was nowhere near as good as the camcorder, not even sure if it was a decent camcorder
SnapeyDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 21:42
Rodney McKay
Forum Member

What gets me is the price of all the add ons for iphones to. Use as camcorders. I have an old tape camcorder that has a cracking zoom and great video quality and I have a digital HD camcorder that also has great quality.

I thought that was a poorly thought out segment.
Rodney McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 22:02
Opaque
Forum Member

I thought it was a very good story ruined by the camera they showed off that cost over £10k for just the body. They have got a very good point though. Why have a camcorder which can only do one thing when my Lumix TZ30 (so not even the new one they showed) can film in 1080 and take photos as well. With the TZ40 you could even use wifi to transfer your files. With the piece you just need to compare something that can only do one thing against something you might already have that can do many (which makes sense). Which is how they started.

Just a pity they messed it up at the end.

That microphone add-on is utterly pointless though, can't see why they needed to show that.
Opaque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 12:24
NoEntry2k
Forum Member

Cant believe a word they say on this program. The quality of the video from that nokia phone was nowhere near as good as the camcorder, not even sure if it was a decent camcorder
I was thinking the exact same thing, but after saying they couldnít notice any difference they did say that when they watched the footage back side by side on a large monitor screen (as we the viewer were) the camcorder footage was better.
NoEntry2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 13:08
Philip Wales
Forum Member

Yes stupid piece, don't buy a camcorder, but instead buy a 5k+ digital slr camara
Philip Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 18:10
Gormond
Forum Member

Using a Raspberry Pi for an ice cream machine seemed rather silly, you would be better using a micro controller like the Arduino IMHO.
Gormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 19:14
cylon6
Forum Member

Why is the final Gadget Show of the series on at 7pm next week?
cylon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 20:01
Opaque
Forum Member

Using a Raspberry Pi for an ice cream machine seemed rather silly, you would be better using a micro controller like the Arduino IMHO.
More people will have heard of the Pi though, and it just gives it more of an exposure which has always been the idea.

I was wondering how that next week could be the last one as well!

Looking forwards to the Photobook review as well.
Old 23-07-2013, 20:11
jonbwfc
Forum Member

Yes, but it wouldn't have been as pun-worthy.
jonbwfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 12:27
NoEntry2k
Forum Member

Why is the final Gadget Show of the series on at 7pm next week?
Channel 5 have a new series of Monster Moves next Monday at 8pm (and every week at that time for the next 7 weeks) so Iím guessing theyíd rather have the final Gadget Show at a one-off different time rather than the first episode of Monster Moves at a one-off different time (which could impact the series ratings overall from the very start). Iím not sure why Monster Moves canít start the week after, but they probably have their reasons.
Old 24-07-2013, 14:06
cylon6
Forum Member

Channel 5 have a new series of Monster Moves next Monday at 8pm (and every week at that time for the next 7 weeks) so Iím guessing theyíd rather have the final Gadget Show at a one-off different time rather than the first episode of Monster Moves at a one-off different time (which could impact the series ratings overall from the very start). Iím not sure why Monster Moves canít start the week after, but they probably have their reasons.
I think it's a shame they're moving the final edition. Time change could catch a few out. Have to say this series has won me over. I'm a fan again.
cylon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 15:37
Gormond
Forum Member

I think it's a shame they're moving the final edition. Time change could catch a few out. Have to say this series has won me over. I'm a fan again.
I'm the same, I hated the world tour series' but the new studio format with Rachel and Jon is far superior (I actually prefer Rachel to Suzi).
Old 24-07-2013, 16:03
NoEntry2k
Forum Member

I agree. But with Channel 5 +1 hopefully most people tuning in at 8pm will still get the chance to watch it, especially if Channel 5 give a prompt to those who accidently missed it before Monster Moves starts on the regular channel.
Plus thereís Demand 5 too, which I image the typical Gadget Show viewers will be more than capable of using.

But I agree, it will no doubt impact the final viewing figure somewhat which is a shame as its been a good series in my opinion.
Old 24-07-2013, 20:38
brangdon
Forum Member

I'm finding it increasingly hard to care about Polyanna's segments. It's partly because they're all she does, and she's so far away and doesn't really interact with the studio presenters that she now feels like an outsider. The segments themselves aren't very interesting either. She rides around for a bit and then it breaks.
brangdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 20:46
Opaque
Forum Member

I wonder what the cost of sending her round the world for those pieces are compared to the rest of the segments for the show.
Old 24-07-2013, 21:58
Gormond
Forum Member

I'm finding it increasingly hard to care about Polyanna's segments. It's partly because they're all she does, and she's so far away and doesn't really interact with the studio presenters that she now feels like an outsider. The segments themselves aren't very interesting either. She rides around for a bit and then it breaks.
Yeah I skip them I must admit
Old 26-07-2013, 14:24
koantemplation
Forum Member

LOL Dom said he couldn't say the name of the software he was using to hack the wifi, but they showed enough for it on screen so that a google would find it.
koantemplation is offline   Reply With Quote