Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Free upgrade for Thompson sky+hd box owners

Old 15-08-2013, 16:51
jogu
Forum Member

So you got the new WiFi box then?.
It seems likely that he's talking about an Amstrad DRX-595 - I've not see the new wifi box on sale anywhere yet.
jogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-08-2013, 17:25
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

It seems likely that he's talking about an Amstrad DRX-595 - I've not see the new wifi box on sale anywhere yet.
It seems unlikely Sky would replace a PVR with a non-PVR - and I certainly wouldn't accept that!

The new box are out on Sky installer's vans, and are available now for ASA's to order, with the non-WiFi ones no longer even listed.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 17:26
Nsewell
Forum Member

Some Sky engineers are installing them now, so possibly sky are also shipping them to people who have ordered drx890s from them.
Nsewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 17:43
jogu
Forum Member

Ahha, thanks for the update guys. I had quick scout around but doesn't seem to be anywhere us "end users" can order one yet!
jogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 16:34
hdtvfan20
Forum Member

I still got my Thomson box for my main tv. Can I still get a free upgrade to a new wifi enabled box
hdtvfan20 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 16:47
sodafountain
Forum Member

I still got my Thomson box for my main tv. Can I still get a free upgrade to a new wifi enabled box
This thread is over a year old, try phoning Sky and asking them?
sodafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 19:07
hdtvfan20
Forum Member

This thread is over a year old, try phoning Sky and asking them?
Thanks, I will try or just hop onto the sky page for upgrade and just order another box
Old 13-11-2014, 19:53
Nsewell
Forum Member

I asked about this.

The Thomson swap offer has officially closed. Only those who subscribe to HD and still use one of these boxes would be entitled to a free one because of the incompatibility with HD channels. Although I doubt there will be anyone left.

For customers who use these boxes without a HD sub standard upgrade practice applies.

There are a number of offers available for each customer to cover all Sky products. These are based on your current package and account history ect. These offers change frequently and agents are encouraged to give the best offers available.

These offers usually require some form of commitment such a package upgrade or re-contract ect.
Old 13-11-2014, 22:55
lotrjw
Forum Member

I asked about this.

The Thomson swap offer has officially closed. Only those who subscribe to HD and still use one of these boxes would be entitled to a free one because of the incompatibility with HD channels. Although I doubt there will be anyone left.

For customers who use these boxes without a HD sub standard upgrade practice applies.

There are a number of offers available for each customer to cover all Sky products. These are based on your current package and account history ect. These offers change frequently and agents are encouraged to give the best offers available.

These offers usually require some form of commitment such a package upgrade or re-contract ect.
So sky now basically treat this box like the other old SD boxes.
lotrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 23:08
Nsewell
Forum Member

So sky now basically treat this box like the other old SD boxes.
Yes the box is officially un-supported.
Old 14-11-2014, 02:52
hdtvfan20
Forum Member

I asked about this.

Thanks so much, I do sub to HD so I might be able to get it whether free or not. And I still use the box
Old 14-11-2014, 06:49
lotrjw
Forum Member

Yes the box is officially un-supported.
Yes that's what I thought but on top of that as it can no longer decode HD subscription channels sky treat it like its an SD box I presume? With the added bonus of being able to view FTA HD channels like BBC's HD channels and ITV HD and channel 4 HD but with no swapping as sky treat it like an SD box.
lotrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2014, 19:34
moox
Forum Member

Thanks so much, I do sub to HD so I might be able to get it whether free or not. And I still use the box
Even if you don't get anything out of Sky, a much newer Amstrad is only about 20 quid on the likes of eBay or Cash Converters. They won't all have wifi, but Sky might still be handing out free "wireless connectors"
moox is offline   Reply With Quote