Sky removing RF2 voltage? (Merged)

Comments

• Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CTD101 wrote: »
    And you still can with WiFi senders. Tell me another Pay TV company that offered a magic eye facility

Don't think any do, do they? But I was talking about the RF output rather than the EYE.

I use both of these, RF into the bedroom and Wireless into whichever room needed.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,498
    Forum Member
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Tell me another Pay TV company that offered a magic eye facility

Tell me a NON-Pay TV company that did? :p

Sky Digital was really incredibly well thought out before it was launched, probably more so than any other product?.
  • Mr.BMr.B Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think any do, do they? But I was talking about the RF output rather than the EYE.

I use both of these, RF into the bedroom and Wireless into whichever room needed.

does this have the same capabilities as a magic eye,
    ie change channels etc?
    and can you watch in HD on the 2nd TV?
    and what equipment do you need if you have a non Wi-Fi (2nd) TV?

all i want to do is watch sky and recordings from my one box in 3 different locations around the house
  • Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
    Forum Member
    I`ve just been onto Global who have given me some more info on their IO link which are needed to get the RF2 working on the Sky box. One problem with them is that the IO link will not provide enough power to work non mains powered Digilink amps, i.e. the ones which used to be powered by the Sky box (often in lofts or wherever).
    Don`t you just love technology and Sky, not. Why couldn`t they just leave the bleedin` thing alone. It`s not always the case that newer is better, it certainly isn`t here......
    Forum Member
    Why couldn`t they just leave the bleedin` thing alone. It`s not always the case that newer is better, it certainly isn`t here......

Removing the RF modulator has presumably paid for adding WiFi in it's place, and may even have been necessary in order to 'squeeze it in' :D

No one else provides a box with an RF modulator, and no one else has ever provided a box with magic eye capabilities - the new Sky boxes still provide the capability for the fewer people who might need it now.
    Forum Member
    Removing the RF modulator has presumably paid for adding WiFi in it's place, and may even have been necessary in order to 'squeeze it in' :D

No one else provides a box with an RF modulator, and no one else has ever provided a box with magic eye capabilities - the new Sky boxes still provide the capability for the fewer people who might need it now.

Well just in the last week or so we`ve had a few customers who have been moaning to high heaven about it, and, to be frank, I don`t blame them. The interesting thing is that, contrary to the popularly held belief, people don`t complain enough......
  • daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel , didn`t you say sky could have removed RF2 to increase multi-room uptake(more revenue)?.
    Must be thousands of homes wired for RF2 setup.
    Forum Member
    daver34 wrote: »
    Nigel , didn`t you say sky could have removed RF2 to increase multi-room uptake(more revenue)?.

I`d say tens of thousands, easily.
    Forum Member
    daver34 wrote: »

I probably mentioned it as a possibility, but Sky stopped fitting (and supporting) magic eyes a number of years ago.

As Justin said, certainly well in the tens of thousands, if not in the hundreds of thousands? - it's a VERY, VERY commonly used facility.

Thinking on, there must be over 20 million Sky boxes in use, it wouldn't surprise me if magic eye and RF usage easily exceeds a million, and possibly a few million.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Thinking on, there must be over 20 million Sky boxes in use, it wouldn't surprise me if magic eye and RF usage easily exceeds a million, and possibly a few million.
    The RF distribution approach (without magic eye) was certainly commonplace with VCRs 30-odd years ago and a lot of people who got Sky would have just connected the boxes up to the existing distribution setup. Heading for a million is quite possible.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Allegedly, Sky has removed the RF modulator to reduce the power consumption and conform to Some EU Regulation (which I've never heard of - amazing how everything is getting regulated - is it illegal to use more than two sheets of toilet paper yet?)

Sky's policy is that you purchase the "Sky IO-Link Module". :cool:

A nice little earner? Still, think how much electricity everyone else will save! :)

Have you not heard of the new EU "Dock leaf" declaration, you will have to have a dock leaf plant growing in your toilet, just hope there is a good harvest this year:eek: as Andrex will be banned:)
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The most recent ofcom Digital Television Update has the number of pay satalite households at 9.4m. When people subscribe to Sky do they usual use 2 or more Sky boxes? Digital Television Update - 2012 Q4 (161 kB) Chart Pack
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    The most recent ofcom Digital Television Update has the number of pay satalite households at 9.4m. When people subscribe to Sky do they usual use 2 or more Sky boxes? Digital Television Update - 2012 Q4 (161 kB) Chart Pack

As far as I'm aware the number of Sky subscribers is MORE than 10 million, on top of that there's the Freesat From Sky users, but more importantly there's millions of old Sky boxes being used either with an old expired card, or no card at all.

I would imagine 20 million or so is a pretty good estimate?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 449
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the number of Sky subscribers is MORE than 10 million, on top of that there's the Freesat From Sky users, but more importantly there's millions of old Sky boxes being used either with an old expired card, or no card at all.

I would imagine 20 million or so is a pretty good estimate?.

Sky's latest corporate results press release indicated 10,422,000 TV subscribers in the UK and Ireland (they do not split the UK out in the results).

Ofcom's figures - a survey by GfK, sampling 12,000 households in Great Britain (excluding Northern Ireland) and scaling demographically to the population of 25.1m households - show 2.1m households using FTA satellite, either using Sky boxes with no card, Freesat from Sky, Freesat or generic FTA satellite receivers. GfK reckon their method has a plus-or-minus 500,000 household margin of error.

I can't find a recent figure for take-up of satellite on additional TV sets, but the Ofcom Communications Market Report for 2011 showed a figure of 14% of second sets using satellite, compared to 61% DTT (plus, at the time, still 21% analogue), and smaller percentages for third and fourth sets. The proportion using satellite had stayed roughly constant across the previous five years, so I wouldn't extrapolate this higher.

Sadly it doesn't say what proportion of homes had second, third and fourth sets at that time. The 2013 CMR has a chart showing proportion of viewing on main versus additional sets, which indicates that 41% of households have a single TV set (the figure across the top), while of multi-set households, 87% of viewing is done on the main set.

So if we assume that there are around 14.8m households with a second set (59% of 25.1m households), and 14% of them use satellite, that's a potential extra 2m set-top boxes. Again, many of them would be Freesat or generic FTA, if not simply using the RF output of the main box. I would expect the contribution from third and fourth sets to be even smaller.

As a check, Sky claim 2,489,000 subscribers have Multiroom. So my estimate would be a bit low, if all those subscribers really actually use the feature. But I really cannot see how you can get to 20 million.
    Forum Member
    kruador wrote: »
    But I really cannot see how you can get to 20 million.

The GfK figures are totally ludicrous, there are massive numbers of ex-Sky boxes in use - we probably see as many ex-Sky boxes in use as we do subscription boxes (if not more).

Perhaps the GfK sample is only for the main TV?, but even at that I would say it's seriously low - and for all TV's in a house EXTREMELY low.

This of course is just in the UK/Ireland, there are also huge numbers of ex-Sky boxes on the continent, and huge numbers in caravans :D
  • Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Is it any surprise that they and I assume other manufacturers are ditching RF out? It's now old legacy technology.

That said, ignoring the multi-room aspect, I wonder how many TVs there are out there with no HDMI, Scart or any other form of AV in
    Forum Member
    That said, ignoring the multi-room aspect, I wonder how many TVs there are out there with no HDMI, Scart or any other form of AV in

I would have thought very, very few - most will have long since been scrapped. The few that are still out there are likely to be portables, they still made CRT portables without SCART sockets until fairly late.
  • Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had same issues.......spoke to a local company who advised that the best device to get round this issue is http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRI-LINK-Control-Freesat-Freeview-around/dp/B002R634DU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376921917&sr=8-2&keywords=modulator+tv

Dearer than the Sky item but apparantly gets the job done much better than the IO.
    Forum Member
    Is it any surprise that they and I assume other manufacturers are ditching RF out? It's now old legacy technology.

This is a common misconception. Most people in this country don`t even know what streaming video or CAT5 or a networked house is, I`m not really sure myself. The proportion of houses in this country which are "networked" is minute compared with the number which have an RF distribution system, The problem is that people who design these things are Geeks (in the niceset possible way) and so imagine everyone else is as keen on (and know as much about) technology as they do*. They don`t, and they aren`t interested.

* I suffer from a similar problem myself, I know quite a bit about aerials so just expect everyone else to as well. I have to keep reminding myself that the vast majority of people in this country don`t actually know what a grouped aerial is, and, just so long as their signal is OK, they don`t care.
  • liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we have just heard the software rollout to turn the 12v on RF2 is now underway
    Forum Member
    liamhere wrote: »

Who are 'we', who have you heard 'from', and what have you actually heard (your post makes no sense).
  • liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "we" are a sat warehouse who supply the trade and sky.....sorry i meant to say "off" not on.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and which rollout would that be exactly ?
    Forum Member
    "we" are a sat warehouse who supply the trade and sky.....sorry i meant to say "off" not on.

And who have you heard from?.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And who have you heard from?.

the fairies by the sound of it.....