Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Prisoners

Old 03-10-2013, 02:56
Button62
Forum Member

I have seen this for the second time tonight. Saw it a week ago in USA and went with my daughter tonight. A second viewing was great as there were some parts I didn't quite get.

I still have no idea how Jackman knew

Spoiler

Very thought provoking and I agree Gyllenhall was superb.
Button62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:27
whedon247
Forum Member

Spoiler
whedon247 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10
Sez_babe
Forum Member

Spoiler
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 20:27
jabegy
Forum Member

Saw this the other day and thought it was the best film I've seen in ages, absolutely fantastic 10/10. It kept me on the edge of my seat right till the end. Can't wait to see it again.
jabegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 20:44
paulsh1
Forum Member

Definitely the best film I've seen this year.Two and a half hours went by in a flash.
Great acting all round but the show was stolen by a brilliant performance by Jake Gyllenhaal.
paulsh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 00:16
Sez_babe
Forum Member

Definitely the best film I've seen this year.Two and a half hours went by in a flash.
Great acting all round but the show was stolen by a brilliant performance by Jake Gyllenhaal.
I agree, Jake stole it for me as well.
Spoiler
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:17
whedon247
Forum Member

he came accross almost like an anti hero at times

also thought hugh jackman was amazing in his scene with jake when hes trying to get answers on the start of the investigation.
Old 08-10-2013, 15:39
ratty0
Forum Member

Watched this at the weekend and I found it quite mesmerising. The cinema was very busy but was mostly silent throughout the film.

It wasn't a feel-good film for sure, but it was quite gripping. I had read something about it making the audience question their morals and posing lots of difficult questions - however as much as this was partly true, it didn't quite get me thinking/reflecting to the same extent I thought it might.

There were some things I think could have been improved - as some people have already said, Keller Dover was a main character but it would have been good to showcase some others too. I think there were a few things that were thrown in to make it a bit more sinister when, on reflection, they perhaps needed more development - for example:

Spoiler

There were also parts of the storyline that I felt weren't fully developed:
Spoiler

Also a couple more questions for anyone who has seen it:

Spoiler
ratty0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 16:28
whedon247
Forum Member

i think

Spoiler
Old 08-10-2013, 17:45
Parthenon
Forum Member

Spoiler
Spoiler

I was left a little confused after watching it. I found it a convoluted plot. I thought that
Spoiler

I'll have to watch it again for sure when it's released on DVD. Perhaps I'll pick up things I missed; it often happens with these intricate films. I wonder if there'll be a director's cut.
Parthenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 17:50
The Sack
Forum Member

Saw it last week, i really enjoyed it and it is in the top 5 films i have seen this year.
The Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 00:51
munta
Forum Member

I thought it was a great film. Was it really 2.5 hours long? The time just flew by.

Dover certainly didn't seem like an anti hero to me. He had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. In fact I don't think there was a single character in the film other than the children who were anything other than unlikeable.

That being said, it was thought provoking. But even though I tried to put myself in Dovers position I just couldn't. In my mind he was as much an animal as the abductor.
munta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 02:05
MrSuper
Forum Member

Saw this tonight. One of the best films i've seen this year and probably one of the best 'adult' films i've seen which we rarely get at the cinema nowadays for obvious reasons.

All the cast were great. Jackman acted his socks off, Dano pulled off the creepy weirdo extremely well, Melissa Leo proves yet again what an excellent character actor she is, but the standout for me was Gyllenhall. Fantastic actor and always has been. Thought he was brilliant in this. I liked that he didn't have a backstory. He had all those tattoos on his hands and neck, we literally didn't know anything about him.

Lots of twists and turns, didn't know what path it was taking me down or how it was going to end but i was along for the ride. This is a film that respects its audience and doesn't treat them for fools. It makes you think what would you do if you were Keller. Did what Keller do was right? Was it understandable? Should he be punished for it?

And that ending was great! Best ending to a film i've seen in years. That was the perfect ending to the film and the exact cut off point to end it at. You didn't need to see or be shown any more.

Probably a film that needs to be seen twice as because it's so intricate you miss things first time round. With all the crap we get at the cinema nowadays films like this are a rare breed. Highly, highly recommended.
MrSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 09:26
whedon247
Forum Member

Saw this tonight. One of the best films i've seen this year and probably one of the best 'adult' films i've seen which we rarely get at the cinema nowadays for obvious reasons.

All the cast were great. Jackman acted his socks off, Dano pulled off the creepy weirdo extremely well, Melissa Leo proves yet again what an excellent character actor she is, but the standout for me was Gyllenhall. Fantastic actor and always has been. Thought he was brilliant in this. I liked that he didn't have a backstory. He had all those tattoos on his hands and neck, we literally didn't know anything about him.

Lots of twists and turns, didn't know what path it was taking me down or how it was going to end but i was along for the ride. This is a film that respects its audience and doesn't treat them for fools. It makes you think what would you do if you were Keller. Did what Keller do was right? Was it understandable? Should he be punished for it?

And that ending was great! Best ending to a film i've seen in years. That was the perfect ending to the film and the exact cut off point to end it at. You didn't need to see or be shown any more.

Probably a film that needs to be seen twice as because it's so intricate you miss things first time round. With all the crap we get at the cinema nowadays films like this are a rare breed. Highly, highly recommended.
great post, i 100% agree
Old 23-10-2013, 10:23
mimicole
Forum Member

My brother and I saw this last night.

Watched this tonight. Loved it. Excellent performance from jake but Hugh in particular. Very difficult (emotions) film to watch at times. Ending was a bit frustrating for me, but all in all, top film!
My experience, also. very good film. It's a long film though, so be prepared for that if you plan to see it.
mimicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 19:52
mialicious
Forum Member

Saw this recently and overall i thought it was good, but there was something that bugged me...

Spoiler
mialicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 16:30
Ted Cunterblast
Forum Member

I watched this last night on blu ray, and enjoyed it. It really kept me guessing and took some interesting twists and turns, and was superbly acted by all.

One thing puzzled me though -

Spoiler
Ted Cunterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:36
whedon247
Forum Member

yeah that confused me a bit too, i think she overheard his voice when he went to visit the old women and do those odd jobs.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:54
TommyNooka
Forum Member

yeah that confused me a bit too, i think she overheard his voice when he went to visit the old women and do those odd jobs.
Spoiler

I really enjoyed it but my girlfriend found it a bit too heavy/dark, probably due to the fact we have a young daughter.
TommyNooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:26
whedon247
Forum Member

Spoiler

I really enjoyed it but my girlfriend found it a bit too heavy/dark, probably due to the fact we have a young daughter.
yeh must be a totally different experience for parents.
Old 26-01-2014, 10:40
coolmum123
Forum Member

We just saw this last night, omg what a movie!! really enjoyed it.

We found it really gripping, what was syrprising was our opinions on Dovers actions, I am a parent and found it quite hard to watch.

Will need to watch it again to pick up the inner details
coolmum123 is offline   Reply With Quote