Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Eagle (1980s version)

Old 27-08-2013, 23:23
saturn5
Forum Member

There was a story in which a man called Boothby got transformed into a monstrous looking mentally-subnormal creature, in some sort of scientific experiment. I recall the sequence with him roaming the streets going, 'Boothbbyyy!' -trying to tell people that was who he was, as they all fled in terror.

Does anyone recall that strip in which two blokes have a man prisoner and put a poisonous tarantula spider on him, and taunt and gloat over him, with evil laughs, before one of them tickles him with a feather to make him squirm and get the spider to sting and kill him?
I think you might be referring to a story from Mannix which had a similar theme?
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-08-2013, 23:28
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

I think you might be referring to a story from Mannix which had a similar theme?
Which one? The one with the tarantula spider?
Phoenix Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 23:44
be more pacific
Forum Member

Wasn't it the Manix photo strip called The Uglies which featured transformed scientists in bad joke shop masks?
be more pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2013, 09:00
saturn5
Forum Member

Wasn't it the Manix photo strip called The Uglies which featured transformed scientists in bad joke shop masks?
Yes, that's the one. Boy was it a relief when they started drawing the strip instead.
Old 28-08-2013, 11:52
be more pacific
Forum Member

Yes, that's the one. Boy was it a relief when they started drawing the strip instead.
Plus they had three very different models playing Manix; a medium build dark-haired guy, a stocky bald guy and a thin blonde guy. IIRC, the story only ever accounted for changes to Manix's face and hair, even though each new model was a different build from the last one.
be more pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 09:54
saturn5
Forum Member

Plus they had three very different models playing Manix; a medium build dark-haired guy, a stocky bald guy and a thin blonde guy. IIRC, the story only ever accounted for changes to Manix's face and hair, even though each new model was a different build from the last one.
Yeah, they obviously used different actors/models, maybe they got better gigs. in the meantime. Mannix was so much better when it was drawn, then you could have storys with nuclear submarines and jet fighters in them
Old 03-09-2013, 21:12
saturn5
Forum Member

Thunderbolt and Smokey was the one with the two boys in the schools' football tournament, wasn't it? I recall there was a bully, called Jaws Jenner, and an obnoxious teacher, Mr Ferris, who were the nemeses of the two heroes.

I'm fairly certain I saw the man who played the lead character in Joe Soap the photo strip, in an old episode of The Sweeney that I saw repeated not long ago.
I may be hallucinating but I seem to remember Gary Glitter guest-starring in that strip? Also speaking of The Sweeney didn't they guest star in The Invisible Kid?
Old 03-09-2013, 21:51
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

I may be hallucinating but I seem to remember Gary Glitter guest-starring in that strip? Also speaking of The Sweeney didn't they guest star in The Invisible Kid?
It wasn't Gary Glitter. A story in Joe Soap included an aging pop star who dressed rather similarly, and who seemed to have suffered a downturn in popularity. As it was the early 80s, he had no doubt been edged out by punk then the New Romantics and synth music.
Old 13-09-2013, 15:40
DavetheSensible
Forum Member

It wasn't Gary Glitter. A story in Joe Soap included an aging pop star who dressed rather similarly, and who seemed to have suffered a downturn in popularity.
I'd always assumed it was a barely-disguised GG.
As it was the early 80s, he had no doubt been edged out by punk then the New Romantics and synth music.
Quite the reverse!
After his career as GG nosedived around 1976, he was actually sustained by the late 1970s-early 1980s punks and post-punks, and then the New Romantics and synth-pop fans. 1981-84 was a second coming almost - there were a number of sold-out tours which were astounding tribal gatherings packed to the rafters. University audiences loved him too.
DavetheSensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 14:24
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

I may be hallucinating but I seem to remember Gary Glitter guest-starring in that strip?
I can remember the model playing the character in the photo-strip was far too slim to be Gary Glitter.
Old 04-10-2013, 20:35
Biffo the Bear
Forum Member

I bought a load of 80s Eagles from issue 1 to 250 odd a couple of years back but still haven't read them.. will have a look for these gems when I get some time
Biffo the Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:18
alcockell
Forum Member

Quite the reverse!
After his career as GG nosedived around 1976, he was actually sustained by the late 1970s-early 1980s punks and post-punks, and then the New Romantics and synth-pop fans. 1981-84 was a second coming almost - there were a number of sold-out tours which were astounding tribal gatherings packed to the rafters. University audiences loved him too.
Hence his couple of times presenting TOTP in about 1987?
alcockell is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:34
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

I remember an episode of Sergeant Streetwise, when it was still a photo-strip, not drawn, which had a scene in which a real psycho of a villain broke into a courtroom during a trial, carrying a shotgun. I remember one photo had him doing this really hilarious face, with a big grimacing grin, just like Jack Nicholson after he chopped through the door in The Shining.