Options

Huffington Post kills anonymity; if Digital Spy did the same, would you stay?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Not to mention you are going to seriously temper and self censor yourself, which isn't good for proper debate on a large forum like GD. Yes, we get a lot of nonsense and daft threads, but we also get a good number of serious threads with good discussions, debates etc.

If you suddenly realise anything you post can show up in around 2 seconds on a Google search, under your real name and linked to your FB profile, you'll be far less likely to engage in the more controversial debates and less likely to put forward your real views on such topics, in case it comes back to haunt you later.

^^^^^ this. Agree 100%
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    Eventually I can see internet users being tied to a super ID, linked to real life verification, that all websites you want to sign up to will request as evidence of identity. You'll probably need it just to get online.

Yo Soupy :D

You're probably right. Until then, though, I think I prefer my anonymity ^_^
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirkfnw wrote: »
    Also, if people weren't anonymous, they'd get attacked and stalked since we'd know a posters real name.
    This is the most important thing. People are awful enough to others they disagree with on the internet; I can't imagine why anyone thinks it would be a good idea to make it easier for them to track them down in real life and be awful for them there, too.

Plus there's all sorts of situations where anonymity is crucial, like teenagers looking for advice, people who have left abusive relationships (especially if they also have kids with them), gay people posting from countries where being gay is illegal, etc.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to mention you are going to seriously temper and self censor yourself, which isn't good for proper debate on a large forum like GD. Yes, we get a lot of nonsense and daft threads, but we also get a good number of serious threads with good discussions, debates etc.

If you suddenly realise anything you post can show up in around 2 seconds on a Google search, under your real name and linked to your FB profile, you'll be far less likely to engage in the more controversial debates and less likely to put forward your real views on such topics, in case it comes back to haunt you later.

My name is Jason Desouza, I can post my Facebook and Twitter if you like. It wouldn't change what I say or feel. I would never self-censor.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another possible reason why some may not be keen on revealing their real names: they visit sites during their working hours.

When I was a temp forum mod, the traffic usually dropped during weekends, which suggested the majority used their work computers to visit sites and forums. I don't know if my guess is right, though.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    This is the most important thing. People are awful enough to others they disagree with on the internet; I can't imagine why anyone thinks it would be a good idea to make it easier for them to track them down in real life and be awful for them there, too.

Plus there's all sorts of situations where anonymity is crucial, like teenagers looking for advice, people who have left abusive relationships (especially if they also have kids with them), gay people posting from countries where being gay is illegal, etc.

There are forums for people who want to discuss sensitive personal issues though. Advice could have an anonymous choice. That's really a different subject.

I just don't think many people would voice the same opinions if they had to attach their names to them. It is also important in that many people read posts and take them seriously, when the poster may have no serious intent.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd have to be mental to stay, with the doxing nutters that are always watching the place.

Yes there's been the odd creepy basement dwelling doxer here and on other sites related to this one. Stuff giving them any ammo and making their weird snooping easier when they feel they've been slighted by someone.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Or verified by e-mail address.

No, in this instance when they say verified account they mean verified by using a mobile number.

https://www.facebook.com/help/398085743567023

What's the point of using an email to verify an account when the email address in question is most likely a throwaway Hotmail address?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    What's the point of using an email to verify an account when the email address in question is most likely a throwaway Hotmail address?

To confirm you are the owner of the account. Otherwise you could set up an account with someone else's e-mail and then they may get a load of unwanted e-mails.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm already looking for a replacement to huffingtonpost. Didn't particularly like the articles, but being able to freely comment on almost every story, makes it more interesting. Having to make yourself a potential target for everyone, and give sensitive information to a company that lives on selling personal information, is unacceptable.

So if DS went the same way, I'd need a replacement British forum.
  • Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would most certainly leave DS if they went down that route. I haven't got a Facebook account and have no intention of ever having one.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't stick around. The anonymity of it here is the beauty of it for me.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I would because surely its up to the user how much information they want to share.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing Facebook Inc. bought shares in the Huff Post?