Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

suggestions for the best tablet & docking station to connect to a TV

Old 07-02-2014, 13:46
spanishmark
Forum Member

Hi,

I have quite a specific need and I am not sure if there is a product that does just what I want. I'd like to get IPTV (I'm not in the UK and the BBC channels are now not available via satellite). I priced up an HTPC and, for the money, it looks like it would be more worth it to get a tablet and use it for the same purpose, plus I'd be able to carry it around!

I'm trying to see if there is any tablet that has a docking station (that could sit by the TV) which offers a gigabit LAN connection (for HD streaming on my LAN) and an HDMI output.

All suggestions appreciated!

Mark
spanishmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-02-2014, 15:18
victorslot
Forum Member

Firstly is the only reason you can't get the BBC channels now is that you can't tune a receiver in? If so then what you could do, assuming you have friends or family in the UK, is get them to tune a receiver box e.g. Humax Freesat box on their dish in the UK and send it to you. I did this for a friend in France and it has worked fine for the past 2 or 3 years, just don't update the location settings.

As for your Tablet question the only way that I know of to do what you want would be an iPad and Apple TV. Not sure that the LAN connection is a gigabit one though.
victorslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 13:37
Mr Madras
Forum Member

Mark, you can do all that and much more with a smart TV and a rooted Android tablet (with good wifi abilities) which is able to sit behind a VPN (or even Hola). Tablet in hand and a VPN to 'change' your real location, you can access live HD TV for free from almost anywhere in the world - the US being the main exception.
Mr Madras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 14:53
spanishmark
Forum Member

Hi,

The issue I have is that the BBC satellite coverage no longer covers Europe. I have Sky and get pretty much everything else, but the BBC channels disappeared a couple of days ago, when they switched to a new satellite.

Anyway, I was looking around to try and solve the gigabit Ethernet connection (wifi is good, but not as good for HD streaming). I came across USB3 to gigabit adaptors (like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-Gig...pr_product_top). Is there a tablet that has USB3 and HDMI out? I am guessing that you could use a USB wireless keyboard/mouse for when it is plugged into the TV...

I have a VPN that (theoretically) works on Android, Windows, Mac, etc.

Mark
spanishmark is offline   Reply With Quote