Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met (merged)

Old 06-02-2014, 19:46
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

Just got back from David Walliams' book signing at Waterstones in my home town, Loughborough. I got there at quarter past four, with a copy of his autobiography to be signed. There was already a fairly large queue, which grew substantially after I joined it. The signing only began at half-past five and I didn't get to see him until just after 6.30pm. It was cold and rainy, and not particularly pleasant waiting weather. David was fairly brisk and short, with the numbers of people waiting, but was pleasant and civil. He smiled and said 'Hello' and 'Thanks for waiting'. He's a pretty big guy in real life, with a muscular upper body. He was very smartly turned out and looking like he's recently been somewhere rather hot as he was looking very brown!
Phoenix Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-02-2014, 20:47
Westy2
Forum Member

Prtobably for crimes against comedy (joke)
There is probably a 'To Me To You' joke in there somewhere but I'm blowed if I'm gonna look for it!
Westy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 00:13
neatlyfolded
Forum Member

OK -

My wife used to work for an airline and has met a lot of famous people. She met David and Victoria Beckham and says they were both very polite and courteous. She also met Tom Jones and says the same about him. She has met dozens of famous people as a matter of fact so I might ask her about some more. She met the singer from Hot Chocolate and said he was very nice as well. Can't think of any others (there were lots) because this was many years ago now. Because of the nature of her job she often met these people more than once so she can make a good judgement of them.

She says Cilla Black was (surprise surprise, if you excuse the pun) "bad tempered". She sent a lackey up to her for some reason and when that didn't work out she went up herself and was whinging about something. She got seat 1A and 1C for the lackey.

Stephen Gately was all right, she says.

Ronan Keating and his wife wanted business class but there was only one seat there. He was nice about it and gave it to his wife and then he sat in economy.

Alistair Campbell - was nice, apparently. Same thing happened to him that happened to Keating and he was very decent about it.

I have met a couple of Hollywood actors and they were both polite and respectful, and I also spent some time with various members of Radiohead. The drummer Phil and bassist Coz were always very polite and good fun, the rhythm guitarist Ed I didn't spend much time with but he seemed less talkative and a little distracted on the one time I met him.

The lead guitarist Jonny was aloof and unnecessarily rude to me, but I think he has a rather high opinion of himself, and the singer Thom, who once pretentiously styled himself "Thomas E. Yorke" back when he sang in an American accent and who is the only one approaching "famous" was also rather rude and dismissive of people - and this was before he was famous, I should add. I met him several times in the early days. He used to strut around Oxford with dyed hair and aviator shades and a Look-At-Me face. When he was filming one of his early videos he didn't engage with anyone like the other guys, but just spent time by himself. I'm told he has mellowed but he was unnecessarily rude to me all those years ago, on more than one occasion, and ridiculed me and my group of friends to our faces for no reason, but then on that occasion he had been drinking. I used to live one street away from him and often saw him stomping up and down the street in a long black coat with his headphones on. If you're reading this Thom, that's the "house that Creep built".

I saw Brett Anderson of Suede on the Piccadilly Line once, not to talk to sadly as I hear he's quite pleasant and polite (I knew the cousin of the keyboard player) and I was a fan at the time so I missed out there. I could tell a story about something someone in Radiohead said to me about Suede once, but I'll keep it to myself. It doesn't reflect badly on Suede at all, by the way.

I met Jon Snow, the journalist, once in a small talk he gave to a limited group of people. He said something about George W. Bush that also raised an eyebrow or two but I'll also keep that to myself as well because I was a little surprised he said it.

I met Prince Charles & Camilla but not to talk to. I was present in a line once when they were doing a grip and grin. They could have just gone straight into the building but they spent half an an hour talking to people in the line. It was a thirty second walk to the building so they were really engaging with people. They seemed polite and good-humoured but they were at work, so to speak. I did notice that Charles's jacket was frayed, which surprised me.

Just remembered my wife also met Richard Briers and said he was nice but he was quite old at the time.

I know someone who is very honest and totally reliable and he has met Dan Cruikshank, who he says was really nice, and also Adam Hart-Davis, who he says was obnoxious. I know someone else who met Prince Andrew and says he was serious but charming.

There must be others but I can't recall them frankly.
neatlyfolded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 13:40
Beautiful_Harv
Forum Member

Tell us the Suede story if it's not bad!!
Beautiful_Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 20:04
soundcheck
Forum Member

I know someone who worked on Hart-Davis' tv show. "Science Shack" or something, wasn't it called? Apparently he got progressively harder to deal with the more famous he became, although he was always perfectly well-behaved around fans. Diva-strops were reserved for the crew.
soundcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 00:53
dodrade
Forum Member

I know someone who worked on Hart-Davis' tv show. "Science Shack" or something, wasn't it called? Apparently he got progressively harder to deal with the more famous he became, although he was always perfectly well-behaved around fans. Diva-strops were reserved for the crew.
I did wonder why he suddenly stopped appearing on TV.
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 18:15
Glenn A
Forum Member

I met Bruno Brookes outside Radio 1 and he was lovely, was really interesting to talk to and pleasant. Next day I saw Mike Smith and he just blanked everyone and muttered under his breath. Also saw Jimmy Young, who was extremely polite and very dapper in an expensive looking suit.
I've always wondered what Wogan is like. My cousin interviewed hom for the Sunday Express and found him OK but very full of himself and a few people on here have said he's not very pleasant.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 18:43
Glenn A
Forum Member

A real misery I did see at a local sports day was Geoff Capes. He looked old and was very sweaty and threw a shot putt a couple of times and then refused to talk to anyone and stormed off.
OTOH I met judo champion Karen Briggs at the local sports centre and she was really keen to talk to everyone and demonstrated a few moves with the local club. I do remember being short but extremely strong.
Old 09-02-2014, 22:36
Multimedia81
Forum Member

I met Bruno Brookes outside Radio 1 and he was lovely, was really interesting to talk to and pleasant. Next day I saw Mike Smith and he just blanked everyone and muttered under his breath. Also saw Jimmy Young, who was extremely polite and very dapper in an expensive looking suit.
I've always wondered what Wogan is like. My cousin interviewed hom for the Sunday Express and found him OK but very full of himself and a few people on here have said he's not very pleasant.
I met Bruno in 1986 but, just as I asked him to sign a Radio 1 photo for me, I dropped the lid of my pen! He was a real gent and immediately picked it up before signing the photo!
Multimedia81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 23:22
Conehead
Forum Member

I ran into Keith Lemon in the street - he was all right, but then it turns out he is a satanist and he put a curse on my whole family.

Bloomin' cheek! That's the last time I peek through his keyhole.
Conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:11
katmobile
Forum Member

My friend Richard comes from Sheffield and says Oakey is to be frequently seen walking his dog and Suzanne is a gym bunny who is happy to work out among the other people at the gym. There's nothing arrogant or unpleasant about the band and Joanne doesn't seem bothered that she has porked out a lot since the eighties.
They come across that way sometimes in interviews - they were quite rudely dismissive about my two favourite bands and I don't forgive that easily However there's not liking the same bands as me and possible being a bit jealous that they acheived the level of stardom that the HL used to have and then there's being decent people when not being interviewed. If people who have actually met them think they're ok then that has to the overiding opinion especially as someone who is overweight myself I can't hate someone who is cool with having 'porked' out .
katmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 15:57
Belligerence
Forum Member

My wife used to work for an airline and has met a lot of famous people. She met David and Victoria Beckham and says they were both very polite and courteous.
My cousin met Victoria Beckham a month ago; said she was very courteous and charming. In fact she happened to speak to David a few years ago and said the same thing.
Belligerence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 00:09
Phoenix Lazarus
Forum Member

I met Bruno in 1986 but, just as I asked him to sign a Radio 1 photo for me, I dropped the lid of my pen!
A most execrable faux-pas! No wonder you blush to recall it!

He was a real gent and immediately picked it up before signing the photo!
A veritable saint of a man! Deserves to be canonised!
Phoenix Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 00:19
odie30
Forum Member

Ive met literally hundreds of celebs over the years and all of them listed below were fantastic with their fans, very generous with their time, warm and friendly including:

Orlando Bloom (met Orlando many times when he did a London play in 2007)
Nathaniel Parker (Inspector Lynley)
Neil Dudgeon (Midsomer Murders I run his website)
Colin Morgan (Merlin)
Bradley James (Merlin)
Anthony Head (Merlin)
Katie McGrath (Merlin)
Alex Vlahos (Merlin)
Eoin Macken (Merlin)
Santiago Cabrera (Merlin)
Tom Hopper (Merlin)
Steve Tompkinson
Neil Pearson
Ben Whishaw
Daniel Radcliffe
Helen Mirren
Judi Dench
Darren Hayes
Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean
Matt Evers (Dancing on Ice)
Dan Whiston (Dancing on Ice)
Matthew Wolfenden
David Tennant
Matt Smith
John Nettles
New Kids on the Block
Evansecence
Elijah Wood
Viggo Mortensen
Billy Boyd
Sean Austin
Michael Barrymore
Nick Reding (ex Silent Witness)
Iain Fletcher (ex The Bill)
Kevin Whately
John McGlynn (Silent Witness, All Creatures great and small)
Eddie Izzard
Billy Connolly
Simon Shepherd
Nigel Le Vaillant (ex Casualty)
Adam Rickitt
Dan Corsi (male model)
John Simm

and loads more

I'm a civil servant and have worked for Tony Blair, John Prescott, Gordon Brown, Tessa Jowell and David Miliband and my then local MP Tony McWalter and was very fond of them of esp Tony Blair. He was amazing to work with, I learnt so much from him and got on really well with him.

The only celeb I met that was really off was Michael French when he did Art alongside Steve Tompkinson at the Wyndhams theatre but there was a really annoying women there so it might have been because she kept trying to catch him whenever he arrived or left.
ONLy adore Nick Redding and David tennant and love most of th he others on your list
odie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 14:33
Susie_Wilcox
Inactive Member

I come from a family of female opera buffs and in 1991 myself, mum and my aunt bought tickets to see Jose Carreras in concert in Sydney as we were riding high after the Three Tenors smash hit the previous year. We spent a small fortune between the three of us on an overnight at the Park Hyatt hotel booking a suite overlooking the opera house and the harbour. A real treat for us and we were so excited at seeing our hero in concert and staying at this wonderful hotel. Concert was great, hotel was everything we expected. We found out Jose was staying at the same hotel in the Govenor Suite the floor above us - wow .

Next morning after checking out we stood outside waiting for a taxi and saw a flash looking car parked at the door with 'Jose Carreras' printed on a card in the windscreen - his personal car - again...wow .

Just before our taxi arrived the man himself emerges from the VIP exit and someone holds his door open, my aunt was absolutely beside herself with excitement and said 'Im going to say hello before he gets in!'. She walks the few steps over, says 'Mr Carreras we were at the concert last night and we just want to say thank you for coming to Sydney'. Carreras stopped with raised eyebrows, looked at her like she was something he'd scraped off his shoe and then got into the car and was whisked away. He was with his then German girlfriend.

To say my aunt was devastated and embarrassed to the point of being upset is an understatement. At the end of the concert the night before when taking his bows four old dears stood at the foot of the stage with flowers for him, directly under his nose, and he completely ignored them. Mum said because he'd been very ill for a few years he was probably still not himself. Not likely - rude little bugger
Susie_Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 15:11
moonlily
Forum Member

When I was about nine years old I met Leslie Crowther coming out of our village shop. He held the door open for me and said "Good afternoon' very pleasantly. He had a Rolls Royce in the car park. He seemed a true gentleman.
moonlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 16:50
Poppy99_Poppy
Forum Member

I come from a family of female opera buffs and in 1991 myself, mum and my aunt bought tickets to see Jose Carreras in concert in Sydney as we were riding high after the Three Tenors smash hit the previous year. We spent a small fortune between the three of us on an overnight at the Park Hyatt hotel booking a suite overlooking the opera house and the harbour. A real treat for us and we were so excited at seeing our hero in concert and staying at this wonderful hotel. Concert was great, hotel was everything we expected. We found out Jose was staying at the same hotel in the Govenor Suite the floor above us - wow .

Next morning after checking out we stood outside waiting for a taxi and saw a flash looking car parked at the door with 'Jose Carreras' printed on a card in the windscreen - his personal car - again...wow .

Just before our taxi arrived the man himself emerges from the VIP exit and someone holds his door open, my aunt was absolutely beside herself with excitement and said 'Im going to say hello before he gets in!'. She walks the few steps over, says 'Mr Carreras we were at the concert last night and we just want to say thank you for coming to Sydney'. Carreras stopped with raised eyebrows, looked at her like she was something he'd scraped off his shoe and then got into the car and was whisked away. He was with his then German girlfriend.

To say my aunt was devastated and embarrassed to the point of being upset is an understatement. At the end of the concert the night before when taking his bows four old dears stood at the foot of the stage with flowers for him, directly under his nose, and he completely ignored them. Mum said because he'd been very ill for a few years he was probably still not himself. Not likely - rude little bugger
That is nasty, particularly for people who have been long term fans. A real disillusionment. I would not be able to listen to their music again.
Poppy99_Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 15:24
Glenn A
Forum Member

They come across that way sometimes in interviews - they were quite rudely dismissive about my two favourite bands and I don't forgive that easily However there's not liking the same bands as me and possible being a bit jealous that they acheived the level of stardom that the HL used to have and then there's being decent people when not being interviewed. If people who have actually met them think they're ok then that has to the overiding opinion especially as someone who is overweight myself I can't hate someone who is cool with having 'porked' out .
That's music for you. Mind you, Morrissey can be particularly vindictive about music he doesn't like, once referring to Diana Ross as disgusting( a diva maybe, but certainly not disgusting), The Human League as vile, and referring to dance music in borderline racist terms.
Old 15-02-2014, 15:45
dodrade
Forum Member

That's music for you. Mind you, Morrissey can be particularly vindictive about music he doesn't like, once referring to Diana Ross as disgusting( a diva maybe, but certainly not disgusting), The Human League as vile, and referring to dance music in borderline racist terms.
Is Morrissey really as misanthropic as he seems or is it just an act for interviews?
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 17:08
Raven_Crow
Forum Member

And then he goes and plans a tour with Cliff Richard.
Raven_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 17:56
Lil_M
Forum Member

Richard fleeshman -arrogant and full of himself.
Lil_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 19:22
Glenn A
Forum Member

And then he goes and plans a tour with Cliff Richard.
I used to like the music, but in his interviews he became progressively more unpleasant and bitter in his views. I'm sure this Cliff Richard thing is some ironic stunt in the same way he tried to get down with National Front skinheads in the nineties until they bottled him off the stage.
Someone did say Morrissey in the flesh isn't very pleasant and has been rude to fans.
Old 15-02-2014, 21:43
boddism
Forum Member

I used to like the music, but in his interviews he became progressively more unpleasant and bitter in his views. I'm sure this Cliff Richard thing is some ironic stunt in the same way he tried to get down with National Front skinheads in the nineties until they bottled him off the stage.
Someone did say Morrissey in the flesh isn't very pleasant and has been rude to fans.
I dont get the appeal of Morrissey. He may have been a great counter-culture character of the 80's, but he just comes accross as a TOSSER to me. I dont get the hero worship??
Maybe fans are dining on past glories??
boddism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 11:15
Susie_Wilcox
Inactive Member

That is nasty, particularly for people who have been long term fans. A real disillusionment. I would not be able to listen to their music again.
It does leave a bad taste and a feeling of deflation. You have an impression of how your fave star will be if you met them, especially when they come across all humble, affable and charming in interviews, and then you encounter them in reality where they are being themselves and...

I still listen to his recordings from time to time, though generally the ones from his early days (1970's). But you're right, the admiration has gone since he showed himself to be just another jumped up little song diva.
Susie_Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 23:34
Raquello
Forum Member

I've met Michael Schumacher and he was lovely. Spent lots of time signing autographs and talking to all the F1 fans
Raquello is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote