Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Karen Carpenter

Old 06-02-2014, 19:29
IntoTheBlue
Forum Member

Altho Richard did end up marrying his cousin
It's not something I'd ever want to do, but isn't marrying cousins pretty common in some parts of America?
IntoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-02-2014, 20:17
Michael_Eve
Forum Member

Don't really want to know about the more depressing aspects of her private life (and if that sounds pious it wasn't meant to be.) Just want to add 'This Masquerade' to the songs being mentioned...absolutely and beautifully haunting. One of my favourite songs by anybody ever.
Michael_Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 14:33
Honestweegie
Forum Member

Song for You, especially after she died is so haunting and moving
Honestweegie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:17
Microkorg
Forum Member

Wonderful voice, but wasted singing that nauseating cheese they knocked out
Microkorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:46
plymgary
Forum Member

Just want to add 'This Masquerade' to the songs being mentioned...absolutely and beautifully haunting. One of my favourite songs by anybody ever.
That's Richard Carpenters favourite song of theirs.
plymgary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:18
IntoTheBlue
Forum Member

Wonderful voice, but wasted singing that nauseating cheese they knocked out
It's a matter of taste but I would take the Carpenters music over almost every artist who won a Grammy this year. Sure, some of their stuff IS cheesy but a lot of it is very beautiful and I would rather listen to some harmless cheese than filth like, for example, Miley Cyrus' song 4x4 which pollutes music today. I wasn't even born when Karen Carpenter died but I'm a fan of her sort of music far more than I am of most of the rubbish in the charts. The innocence of the Carpenters songs is comforting.
IntoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 00:31
hopwoodl
Forum Member

For me it's the fact that she just sang the melody with no showboating like today's singers, who seem to have to warble every damn line (I blame Mariah Carey!)

Karen's voice was so unique and the melodies haunting
hopwoodl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:06
Honestweegie
Forum Member

For me it's the fact that she just sang the melody with no showboating like today's singers, who seem to have to warble every damn line (I blame Mariah Carey!)

Indeed, she had nothing to prove, unlike the others who cant hold a candle to her
Honestweegie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 17:54
Seabird
Forum Member

Absolutely, I actually have an adversion to female singers since the Mariahs, Whitneys and Celines dictated that every damned note has to be screeched in God knows how many octaves. My old music teacher was a huge fan of the Carpenters and used them as examples of how a pure voice and melody needed no embelishment. As a legacy I now know every singly word of every Carpenters song whether I wanted to or not! I love Masquerade as well.
Seabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 19:04
Microkorg
Forum Member

It's a matter of taste but I would take the Carpenters music over almost every artist who won a Grammy this year. Sure, some of their stuff IS cheesy but a lot of it is very beautiful and I would rather listen to some harmless cheese than filth like, for example, Miley Cyrus' song 4x4 which pollutes music today. I wasn't even born when Karen Carpenter died but I'm a fan of her sort of music far more than I am of most of the rubbish in the charts. The innocence of the Carpenters songs is comforting.
When you put it like that, I have to agree
Microkorg is offline   Reply With Quote