Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Human League appreciation

Old 19-01-2014, 16:30
Glenn A
Forum Member

There must be quite a few fans out there, so I've started a thread devoted to Sheffield's finest group. From Being Boiled to Mirror Man, this band really were good and for all later stuff is a bit patchy, it's still quite good. Dare and Travelogue are masterpieces and the best albums to come out in the synthpop era.
Also worthy of mention, Phil Oakey, Susanne Sully and Joanne Catherall haven't forgotten their roots, still live in Sheffield and are prepared to talk to fans in the street.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-02-2014, 18:39
digit al
Forum Member

There must be quite a few fans out there, so I've started a thread devoted to Sheffield's finest group. From Being Boiled to Mirror Man, this band really were good and for all later stuff is a bit patchy, it's still quite good. Dare and Travelogue are masterpieces and the best albums to come out in the synthpop era.
Also worthy of mention, Phil Oakey, Susanne Sully and Joanne Catherall haven't forgotten their roots, still live in Sheffield and are prepared to talk to fans in the street.
Dare has got to be in the top 3 best albums of the 80's, every song is well worth it's place on that album.
digit al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 17:39
embryo
Forum Member

I love 'Dare' but I think the first two albums are really underrated - 'Reproduction' might even be my favourite overall. 'The Dignity of Labour' EP is also well worth a listen, though it's very different from their 80s pop work.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 22:21
Multimedia81
Forum Member

I like quite a few of their songs. Examples are Open Your Heart, Don't You Want Me?, Mirror Man, Life On Your Own, Louise and Tell Me When. Also the album track Things that Dreams Are Made Of.
Multimedia81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 22:33
Michael_Eve
Forum Member

Dare was one of the first albums I bought...that was quite a lot of pocket money back in the day! Still think it's a superb pop record and know the lyrics off by heart decades later. Hysteria was bought on release, and I still like it, but Dare is the one for me. (vividly remember Mirror Man and Fascination coming out too, and really liked them.)

Will have to look into the earlier stuff some time. Being Boiled is great. ("Listen to the sound of Buddah...")
Michael_Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:18
Michael_Eve
Forum Member

It's "....VOICE of Buddah" isn't it. How embarrassing. (Thanks youtube; on a Human League binge now thanks to this thread. )
Michael_Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 17:56
Glenn A
Forum Member

It's "....VOICE of Buddah" isn't it. How embarrassing. (Thanks youtube; on a Human League binge now thanks to this thread. )
Oh thankyou, it took a while to get replies to this.
I'd say from Being Boiled to Mirror Man the Human League did everything right. However, Hysteria was a bit of a let down and the attempts at rock on The Lebanon were woeful. Yet Crash, an album I remember Smash Hits massacring, sounded more contemporary and produced the excellent single Human.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 12:10
muggins14
Forum Member

Dare was one of the first albums I bought...that was quite a lot of pocket money back in the day! Still think it's a superb pop record and know the lyrics off by heart decades later. Hysteria was bought on release, and I still like it, but Dare is the one for me. (vividly remember Mirror Man and Fascination coming out too, and really liked them.)

Will have to look into the earlier stuff some time. Being Boiled is great. ("Listen to the sound of Buddah...")
Being boiled is the first song I remember listening to on stereo headphones and being wowed by the sound going through and around my brain

It took me nearly 15 years to see The Human League from first hearing them, seeing them finally in 1995. They were terrific.

Martyn Ware, along with Vince Clarke, owns the company that created the sensory room at my daughter's school. I e-mailed him gushing about The Human League, he responded kindly

I have made sure that my daughter appreciates their sound and other great music from back in the day.
muggins14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 14:29
Pontin64
Forum Member

Dare is such an iconic classic album!

I'm so glad i managed to find it on vinyl, in my old local record store..

I do have a huge love for the 80s and synth pop as a whole and always turn to music of the past when i'm un inspired or lacking belief in the music which is being pumped out today...

However i always like to try and find new music, and for this particular sound and genre... for me, there is one clean cut winner!!!

PEPPERMINT HEAVEN !!!

New track; 'In You Or Out Of You' and 'Changing The World' are my favourites!
https://soundcloud.com/pepperminthea...and-out-of-you
Pontin64 is offline   Reply With Quote