Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Gay England Soccer Player to Come Out Publically This Sunday

Old 09-03-2014, 21:41
edEx
Forum Member

Does it really matter these days if a footballer is gay? The majority of people in the UK don't care anymore. It is organisations like Stonewall that make out people are anti gay still so they can get more money. Looking at their advertising on the London Underground they are making out that we are in the 70s and 80s when people weren't all accepting of homosexuality. Although people who are from African or middle eastern ancestry who are still mostly anti gay and I think that might be who they were aiming it at but they would be accused of being racist if they made it clear they were aiming it at them.
Have you noticed that there are large numbers of people of African or middle eastern ancestry in London, where Stonewall run adverts on the Underground?

Some might say there's a correlation there. No harm done by reminding people to "get over it" IMO. Makes for a much better society.
edEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-03-2014, 22:56
mseven1
Forum Member

Have you noticed that there are large numbers of people of African or middle eastern ancestry in London, where Stonewall run adverts on the Underground?

Some might say there's a correlation there. No harm done by reminding people to "get over it" IMO. Makes for a much better society.
The majority of people who ride underground trains aren't of African or middle eastern ancestry. The majority of people are over it but Stonewall make out it's still a big issue. One said "some people are gay, get over it" the advert gave me more of an impression they were making out that homosexuality was being anti establishment than a sexuality. Another said something like "one of these people is gay, if that bothers you we need to keep going" with a black woman and white woman which might go with aiming at African people and that advert made me think it was more making more of a divide than saying they are both human.

In the UK homosexuality in the pre 60s was and among African and middle eastern people currently is still treated how paedophilia and bestiality is seen today in our society. I don't think that those who don't agree with homosexuality would see those adverts and it will change the way they think. If it was for example an advert for rights of other sexualities and they said "some people are paedophiles, get over it" or "one of these people is in a sexual relationship with a dog, if that bothers you we need to keep going" they wouldn't make me think different, I would feel uncomfortable that some people think like that and I would wonder how they got someone to agree to appear on a poster advert claiming they might be in a relationship with a dog.
mseven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 23:28
IntoTheBlue
Forum Member

So I take it this was just a fake rumour then?
I should have known *yawn*
IntoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 23:55
edEx
Forum Member

The majority of people who ride underground trains aren't of African or middle eastern ancestry. The majority of people are over it but Stonewall make out it's still a big issue.
My partner and I knew Ian Baynham, the man who only five years ago was kicked to death by two young thugs near Trafalgar Square. I myself got into a fight about three years ago when some young tosspot decided he wanted to have a go. His reason for starting on us, and I quote, was "two men together, that's just wrong".

Please don't try and tell me homophobia isn't an issue in London now. I know from bitter experience it is.
Old 10-03-2014, 00:01
ChristmasCake
Forum Member

My partner and I knew Ian Baynham, the man who only five years ago was kicked to death by two young thugs near Trafalgar Square. I myself got into a fight about three years ago when some young tosspot decided he wanted to have a go. His reason for starting on us, and I quote, was "two men together, that's just wrong".

Please don't try and tell me homophobia isn't an issue in London now. I know from bitter experience it is.
I got jumped a few years ago myself, on Old Compton Street of all places, I was a bit tipsy so just wasn't expecting it at all, and the worst thing about it was getting my blood on my fabulous white jacket.
ChristmasCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 13:31
mseven1
Forum Member

My sisters friend was a witness to what I think might have been Ian Baynham or might have been another "homophobic" attack and there was already an argument going on before any homophobic remarks were thrown. Some people see slutty women or fat people and shout abuse at them why is it seen worse if a gay couple have abuse shouted at them?

I wasn't saying homophobia wasn't an issue I am saying that Stonewall are making out as if it is bigger than it actually is. I understand that those adverts might have been aimed at ethnic minorities who don't agree with homosexuality or pretend they don't agree to hide their own homosexuality but I felt that those adverts were making out that homosexuals and straight people are different when really we are all humans, it's just the sexuality that is different. Personally it would not bother me if one person on the poster is gay but pointing out one is gay and another isn't makes out there are differences. One person could have a glass eye or a wooden leg why would it matter?

Was the person that said that to you of African or middle eastern ancestry?
Old 10-03-2014, 13:51
dee123
Forum Member

My sisters friend was a witness to what I think might have been Ian Baynham or might have been another "homophobic" attack and there was already an argument going on before any homophobic remarks were thrown. Some people see slutty women or fat people and shout abuse at them why is it seen worse if a gay couple have abuse shouted at them?

I wasn't saying homophobia wasn't an issue I am saying that Stonewall are making out as if it is bigger than it actually is. I understand that those adverts might have been aimed at ethnic minorities who don't agree with homosexuality or pretend they don't agree to hide their own homosexuality but I felt that those adverts were making out that homosexuals and straight people are different when really we are all humans, it's just the sexuality that is different. Personally it would not bother me if one person on the poster is gay but pointing out one is gay and another isn't makes out there are differences. One person could have a glass eye or a wooden leg why would it matter?

Was the person that said that to you of African or middle eastern ancestry?
*Rolls eyes*
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 16:08
JohnHughes
Forum Member

Jack Wilshire has always made me wonder.
JohnHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 17:10
attackmusic
Forum Member

Jack Wilshire has always made me wonder.
Is it his girlfriend and two kids that made you wonder?
attackmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 17:29
JohnHughes
Forum Member

Is it his girlfriend and two kids that made you wonder?
I hadn't realised he had either. Thanks for correcting me, I can officially stop wondering now.
JohnHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 23:28
mseven1
Forum Member

I hadn't realised he had either. Thanks for correcting me, I can officially stop wondering now.
If someone's sexuality is homosexual doesn't mean they can't have sex with women.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:40
wilehelmas
Forum Member

Unlike men in war killing complete strangers (whom, shock, they may even get on with under other circumstances) because they're told to... with guns and bombs, and which is a perfectly acceptable (and often paid) social norm.

Ironic, isn't it?
wilehelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:46
edEx
Forum Member

Unlike men in war killing complete strangers (whom, shock, they may even get on with under other circumstances) because they're told to... with guns and bombs, and which is a perfectly acceptable (and often paid) social norm.

Ironic, isn't it?
Indeed.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:25
mseven1
Forum Member

Ironic, isn't it?
I think it is ironic that if someone's opinion on someone's sexuality it's treated like someone's opinion on war. In the end of the day what does it matter what someone's sexuality is
Old 12-03-2014, 12:27
wilehelmas
Forum Member

I think it is ironic that if someone's opinion on someone's sexuality it's treated like someone's opinion on war. In the end of the day what does it matter what someone's sexuality is
I was discussing and musing the gentleman above's experience with him.
Old 12-03-2014, 16:55
Jenny_Meadows
Forum Member

How can people seriously think that no one would care if a footballer came out?! Football is one of the worst areas for this hence why no top male footballer has come out and they clearly exist. It's like people acting like no one in the public eye is in a fake relationship or in the closet. News flash: there is a reason the terms bearding and in the closet exist. People in and out of the public do these things and to suggest they don't is seriously deluded. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying everyone is gay, just that a lot of people are and can't be honest about it because of the attitudes of a lot of people. I know this myself. I hate it when people act like suggesting someone is gay is wrong and get annoyed by that instead of lamenting the fact that people have to hide a part of themselves and it Is a fact of many peoples lives this thread is proof of the insulting view of homosexuality.
Jenny_Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 23:58
mseven1
Forum Member

How can people seriously think that no one would care if a footballer came out?! Football is one of the worst areas for this hence why no top male footballer has come out and they clearly exist. It's like people acting like no one in the public eye is in a fake relationship or in the closet. News flash: there is a reason the terms bearding and in the closet exist. People in and out of the public do these things and to suggest they don't is seriously deluded. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not saying everyone is gay, just that a lot of people are and can't be honest about it because of the attitudes of a lot of people. I know this myself. I hate it when people act like suggesting someone is gay is wrong and get annoyed by that instead of lamenting the fact that people have to hide a part of themselves and it Is a fact of many peoples lives this thread is proof of the insulting view of homosexuality.
A football player coming out as gay doesn't change anything. They will still be the same person they always were. All what happens when famous people come out the closet these days is it creates hype of how some how it will change everything and is some kind of break through for man kind. In most cases everyone already knows or assumed they already are gay. If someone is "coming out the closet" they're saying their sexuality and by making out it's a big thing and creating high hype about it like making out they have the plague it creates a bigger gap between sexualities.
Old 13-03-2014, 00:03
ChristmasCake
Forum Member

A football player coming out as gay doesn't change anything. They will still be the same person they always were. All what happens when famous people come out the closet these days is it creates hype of how some how it will change everything and is some kind of break through for man kind. In most cases everyone already knows or assumed they already are gay. If someone is "coming out the closet" they're saying their sexuality and by making out it's a big thing and creating high hype about it like making out they have the plague it creates a bigger gap between sexualities.
When LGBT identifying teens are 40% more likely to commit suicide, compared to their heterosexual peers, I don't think you can write off something like this so easily. Having a premier league footballer out and proud would be a very good thing in terms of teens having someone to relate to. Being in the closet can be so isolating, and having someone you can identify with makes such a difference.
Old 13-03-2014, 00:36
dee123
Forum Member

OK, this comment settles it. You really are a WUM.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:22
mseven1
Forum Member

When LGBT identifying teens are 40% more likely to commit suicide, compared to their heterosexual peers, I don't think you can write off something like this so easily. Having a premier league footballer out and proud would be a very good thing in terms of teens having someone to relate to. Being in the closet can be so isolating, and having someone you can identify with makes such a difference.
LGBT identifying teens being more likely to commit suicide could be for many reasons and if making out like coming out of the closet is a big thing it will increase that. Someone that is transgender for example might be more suicidal about having sex change surgeries than having different genitals. Today it is more easy for people to come out of the closet, even for those of African or middle eastern origin. Creating hype about a premier league football player or similar and making out that coming out of the closet is a big thing only creates a bigger gap with sexuality and homosexuality acceptance. You're making out that coming out of the closet is like saying you're not human and that creates a bigger divide, if you coming out of the closet is treated less than someone's preference to chocolate or non chocolate biscuits it would be more accepted. In the end of the day homosexuality is a sexuality which is only applicable to your sex life, it doesn't change the person you are.

OK, this comment settles it. You really are a WUM.
What is a WUM? It sounds like something bad, if it is a bad thing then why are you preaching tolerance but being intolerant?
Old 13-03-2014, 16:01
wilehelmas
Forum Member

LGBT identifying teens being more likely to commit suicide could be for many reasons and if making out like coming out of the closet is a big thing it will increase that. Someone that is transgender for example might be more suicidal about having sex change surgeries than having different genitals. Today it is more easy for people to come out of the closet, even for those of African or middle eastern origin. Creating hype about a premier league football player or similar and making out that coming out of the closet is a big thing only creates a bigger gap with sexuality and homosexuality acceptance. You're making out that coming out of the closet is like saying you're not human and that creates a bigger divide, if you coming out of the closet is treated less than someone's preference to chocolate or non chocolate biscuits it would be more accepted. In the end of the day homosexuality is a sexuality which is only applicable to your sex life, it doesn't change the person you are.
I think you make some genuine points but everything you've stated above would only work in a one-dimensional universe where everyone lives in harmony and sees eye-to-eye on the same subjects.

In reality: life does too much: religious extremism/intolerance, general ignorance, hype and interest, paranoia and fear, isolation, community differences, generational differences, cultural differences...for your portrayal to successfully blueprint across the globe at this point in time.
Old 13-03-2014, 18:05
Betty Britain

What happened to this big announcement??
Betty Britain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 22:58
mseven1
Forum Member

In reality: life does too much: religious extremism/intolerance, general ignorance, hype and interest, paranoia and fear, isolation, community differences, generational differences, cultural differences...for your portrayal to successfully blueprint across the globe at this point in time.
Religion has nothing to do with sexuality. As an agnostic I don't see things with a religious view. Apparently the bible actually condemns homosexuality twice and heterosexuality 350 times and it's anti religious people that are making out that homosexuality is against Christianity. The Qur'an however condemns homosexuality more but in society it's worse to be racist. I agree that it's due to community and cultural beliefs though. But like I said a sexuality shouldn't be something to condemn or celebrate. It's just a sexuality and shouldn't effect their day to day life
Old 14-03-2014, 00:35
ChristmasCake
Forum Member

No I'm not making that out at all, but you'll genuinely never understand how isolating it can be to be in the closet. I get that it's generally easier these days, but it's still not always easy.

There's completely nothing wrong with being LGBT, but at the same time, you can't ignore the big differences between realising you are LGBT, or realising you are heterosexual.

It's not about highlighting difference, it's about accepting difference.

Your analogy to chocolate is frankly ridiculous.
Old 14-03-2014, 01:06
mseven1
Forum Member

No I'm not making that out at all, but you'll genuinely never understand how isolating it can be to be in the closet. I get that it's generally easier these days, but it's still not always easy.

There's completely nothing wrong with being LGBT, but at the same time, you can't ignore the big differences between realising you are LGBT, or realising you are heterosexual.

It's not about highlighting difference, it's about accepting difference.

Your analogy to chocolate is frankly ridiculous.
Making out it is isolating is what is making it isolating for them. Why should it be such a big thing? The chocolate biscuit thing was to illustrate how ridiculous making coming out of the closet a big thing is. People should be happy with who they are, why should anyone need to make out it's such a big thing, it just makes it harder for them to come out.