Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Metallica at Glastonbury.

Old 12-06-2014, 00:10
Old Man 43
Forum Member

How do you think the audience at Glastonbury will respond the Metallica.

Remember that the tickets sold out before Metallica were announced as headliners. So there are not going to be many hardcore fans there.
Old Man 43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:02
shackfan
Forum Member

What do YOU think?
shackfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:40
Glawster2002
Forum Member

I think they will go down very well.

Whilst for me their last truly great album was ...and Justice For All, released in 1988, they are still a great live band.

Set-wise I would have thought it will be "commercial" Metallica, so most of the Black album plus the more commercial tracks from their other albums, they have already said they are thinking of opening with Oasis' Wonderwall however I doubt they will do their cover of The Anti-Nowhere League's So What? somehow...
Glawster2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:01
Soupietwist
Forum Member

Whilst for me their last truly great album was ...and Justice For All, released in 1988, they are still a great live band.
If ever there was an album that needed remastering!
I'd actually say 'The Black Album' was there last truly great album - Although if you took the best songs from Load/Reload and stuck them onto one album it could have been great too.

Pasta of Muppets is their undoubted masterpiece though.
Soupietwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:18
Glawster2002
Forum Member

If ever there was an album that needed remastering!
I'd actually say 'The Black Album' was there last truly great album - Although if you took the best songs from Load/Reload and stuck them onto one album it could have been great too.

Pasta of Muppets is their undoubted masterpiece though.
100% agree!!

The re-mastered vinyl re-releasse a couple of years ago is much better than the original CD version.

I'm going to see them @ Sonisphere next month and it will be interesting to see just how different the set is, as it is a By Request set.

At the moment the Sonisphere set will be:

Master of Puppets
For Whom the Bell Tolls
One
Battery
Fade to Black
Seek and Destroy
Enter Sandman
Nothing Else Matters
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Creeping Death
Sad But True
Ride the Lightning
Whiskey in the Jar
The Unforgiven
Blackened
Fuel

The Four Horsemen
Wherever I May Roam
...And Justice for All
Glawster2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 13:11
walterwhite
Forum Member

How do you think the audience at Glastonbury will respond the Metallica.

Remember that the tickets sold out before Metallica were announced as headliners. So there are not going to be many hardcore fans there.
Isn't this the same with a huge percentage of headliners?
walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 14:58
Kiko H Fan
Inactive Member

100% agree!!

The re-mastered vinyl re-releasse a couple of years ago is much better than the original CD version.

I'm going to see them @ Sonisphere next month and it will be interesting to see just how different the set is, as it is a By Request set.

At the moment the Sonisphere set will be:

Master of Puppets
For Whom the Bell Tolls
One
Battery
Fade to Black
Seek and Destroy
Enter Sandman
Nothing Else Matters
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Creeping Death
Sad But True
Ride the Lightning

Whiskey in the Jar
The Unforgiven
Blackened
Fuel

The Four Horsemen
Wherever I May Roam
...And Justice for All
That's 3 total bruisers in a row, mid set. Nice.

I'd like to see those 3 open the Glastonbury set. Just watch those trendy girls on their boyfriends shoulders suddenly start screaming for help!
Kiko H Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 16:45
ags_rule
Forum Member

They'll go down well.

People act as though Metallica have never played to such a large group of non-fans before, conveniently overlooking that they played to Wembley Stadium at Live Earth (albeit a 20 min set) and went down very well. They're also huge draws at festivals like Rock In Rio which, despite the name, is not a rock festival (indeed their website currently has a picture of Robbie Williams performing).
ags_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 20:36
Tejas
Forum Member

I don't get the whole thing about Metallica being a strange booking for Glasto - they're a rock band, its a festival, and they've sold millions of records... they'll do fine! I think they'll go down a storm.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 21:18
Old Man 43
Forum Member

What do YOU think?
I don't know I have never been to Glastonbury.

The only festivals I have been to are Reading (80's), Donington Monsters of Rock (In the 80's and 90's), Knebworth (In the 80's) and various open air concerts at Milton Keynes, Wembley & Twickenham.

So I don't know what the normal Glastonbury festival goer is like.
Old 13-06-2014, 08:11
Heston Veston
Forum Member

They'll go down well.

People act as though Metallica have never played to such a large group of non-fans before, conveniently overlooking that they played to Wembley Stadium at Live Earth (albeit a 20 min set) and went down very well. They're also huge draws at festivals like Rock In Rio which, despite the name, is not a rock festival (indeed their website currently has a picture of Robbie Williams performing).
At least Metallica won't be prancing around in a smug fashion going "here's one you know" and holding the microphone out to the audience.
Heston Veston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 12:26
mushymanrob
Forum Member

they ought to be boo'd off stage for the antics of james hetfield.... pictured posing over a huge grizzly bear he just shot. the complete c**t.
mushymanrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 13:02
walterwhite
Forum Member

I don't know I have never been to Glastonbury.

The only festivals I have been to are Reading (80's), Donington Monsters of Rock (In the 80's and 90's), Knebworth (In the 80's) and various open air concerts at Milton Keynes, Wembley & Twickenham.

So I don't know what the normal Glastonbury festival goer is like.
Considering Jay-Z went down well a few years ago I don't think there will be an issue with Metallica.
Old 13-06-2014, 15:57
ags_rule
Forum Member

they ought to be boo'd off stage for the antics of james hetfield.... pictured posing over a huge grizzly bear he just shot. the complete c**t.
Would love to see this picture.
Old 13-06-2014, 17:03
robo2
Forum Member

some amercians hunt - its not a big deal to most people, dont personally agree with it myself, but there are far worse things he could have done
robo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 19:27
walterwhite
Forum Member

Would love to see this picture.
Google it then, it's not hard to find.
Old 13-06-2014, 20:27
PhilH36
Forum Member

I'd like to see them playing the whole of Puppets.... or Justice.... in sequence.
PhilH36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 21:25
mushymanrob
Forum Member

some amercians hunt - its not a big deal to most people, dont personally agree with it myself, but there are far worse things he could have done
theres hunting and theres hunting. shooting something youre going to eat isnt the same thing as needlessly shooting something for the sake of it.

pictured standing over a dead bear in a river.... what tf is he going to do with that?
Old 13-06-2014, 21:35
Electra
Forum Member

theres hunting and theres hunting. shooting something youre going to eat isnt the same thing as needlessly shooting something for the sake of it.

pictured standing over a dead bear in a river.... what tf is he going to do with that?
It's not actually Hetfield in the photo. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ival-bill.html

Having said that, I 100% agree with your stance on hunting.
Electra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 22:44
Old Man 43
Forum Member

It's not actually Hetfield in the photo. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ival-bill.html

Having said that, I 100% agree with your stance on hunting.
Well that says it all doesn't it.
Old 13-06-2014, 22:47
lawd004
Forum Member

For what it's worth, here's a quote from Hetfield concerning his views on hunting, circa 2009:

"Nowadays it doesn’t feel necessary, killing things just to kill them. I’m not against hunting, but it doesn’t seem as necessary as going 150 miles an hour in my car now." [laughs]

http://www.guitarworld.com/james-het...n-man?page=0,4

He was big into hunting in the past, but not so much anymore. It's a non-issue, blown out of all proportion...
lawd004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 07:32
mushymanrob
Forum Member

fair play....
Old 14-06-2014, 09:06
Johnny_Cash
Forum Member

Snobbery and a predetermined outlook will stop them being truly appreciated whilst shite like Kasabian will triumph. How anyone can not enjoy Master of Puppets or the ridiculously good Four Horseman is beyond me.
Johnny_Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 12:17
Soupietwist
Forum Member

It's a sad day when it's the Daily Mail that is that puts an end to a nothing mock outrage fake story.

Look a that picture, the guy in it doesn't look remotely like James.. Cc
Soupietwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 15:52
ags_rule
Forum Member

Google it then, it's not hard to find.
You were saying?

Was hoping the satisfaction myself of being the one to say that said photograph is not actual James Hetfield but kudos to the others in this thread for getting there before me

I am opposed to hunting for recreational reasons (I am more open to it as a means of controlling a population of animals when that is deemed necessary). But the thoughts of a single band member - who, as the 2009 quote posted early illustrates, no longer actively hunts - somehow being enough to kick them off the festival bill is ridiculous. It's nothing more than anti-metal snobbery dressed up with a fancy excuse.