Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lordoz, I had got fed up of my posts getting deleted but it seems to have settled down. Since I have been away for a while it is time for a moan.

I have drifted away from 5 live where in the past I would have listened right through from Breakfast to Drive plus late night, now I just dip in. The station is stale and needs a shake up and define what its purpose is, what comes first, news or sport? Being licence fee funded they should be providing something not delivered by the commercial sector rather than increasingly going down the Talk Sport route.

My reduced listening is in part down to the lack of in depth coverage of the news, 5 live no longer sets the news agenda (apart from the occasional VD abuse / addiction story) they seem to follow the Daily Mail / Telegraph agenda with little more than Press Association copy. This is probably in part down to funding cuts but also the station has become stale. Like the rest of the BBC, 5 live they appear to be scared of their own shadow and no longer hold the government and politicians to account or break stories. Also foreign news is rarely covered.

The need to go to inaudible press conference or a wicket at the cricket live interrupting the current item is really irritating, however the need to go live seems to be dropped when they are covering football or tennis.

I also find it annoying and unnecessary when they lead the news with a sports story and then again the sports news with the same story.

It is understandable that there will be more sport during the World Cup and Wimbledon but even during the rest of the year sport, in particular football, seems to be increasingly dominating at the expense of the news coverage. The sports news bulletins seem to be increasingly filled with tittle tattle such as some ex footballer tweeting some disparaging comment about a current player / manager rather than what I would call real sports news, there is plenty of material that could be reported, sports such as swimming and cycling get little coverage. Too many of the sports shows are just filled with pundits waffling on discussing football rather than commentaries or other sports.

Late nights are poor with Phil Williams and Nolan, when you think back to the days of Fi Glover and Matthew Banister when there was interesting discussions and analysis of the day’s news and coverage of foreign news stories instead of the Nolan shock jock nonsense we have now.

The station hasn't got any better since Wall took over from AVK as controller, he hasn't really made he mark with any changes to daytime. A freshening up is needed, maybe part time Shelagh Fogarty should be the first to be replaced with a more news focused lunchtime show?

Totally this ^ ^ ^
  • Options
    chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interruptions to the tune of "a wicket at the cricket" really get on my freaking nerves. No matter what they are currently covering, ANYTHING happens at the cricket and they interrupt. It is hardly the most fast moving of sports so surely they can wait for the next sports bulletin to tell us or at least wait until after the current item. It is incredibly disrespectful to their guests.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alistair Bruce Ball has just repeated exactly what Clive Tyldesley said: 5 of the 12 European teams are through and seven are out. How are they both forgetting on
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do we need a tennis phone in at lunctime?

6-love-6 now on with John McEnroe and Tim Henman

If there is no live tennis on why is daytime given over to this rather than a midday news programme?

I think it is clear the answer is sport!

Not a fan of the contrived ignorance of UK place pronunciations by JM but I thought the moving to 12 made sense. Several shows in past years have had to be cancelled because important games have still been going on at 7.30
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    Interruptions to the tune of "a wicket at the cricket" really get on my freaking nerves. No matter what they are currently covering, ANYTHING happens at the cricket and they interrupt. It is hardly the most fast moving of sports so surely they can wait for the next sports bulletin to tell us or at least wait until after the current item. It is incredibly disrespectful to their guests.

I don't know. Anyone coming on R5L must know it's a breaking news and sport station so interruptions are inevitable. A "wicket at the cricket" is news. You wouldn't expect them to say "there's been a goal in the England game but we won't tell you about it until the news."
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 cover stint on LBC is hardly 'getting her feet under the table' lol. anyway, she'd have been off for these 2 weeks because of Wimbledon so good luck to her for getting some other work during this time. if you are worried about the amount of time she has off and that she only works 3 days a week or something, then this is a problem with the management rather than the presenter. if the management was strong, they would just say no and she'd either leave or do the 5 days a week you think she should do.

sorry should I put an irony or sarcasm emoticon in? :confused: i know it's text on page but I though most knew my tone on 5 live by now......
    there's been plenty of comment on that time slot being filled by presenters at great fanfare who gradually fade away and fogerty continuing tradition....i'd rather her stay there and not ruin LBC which I mostly like and prefer to 5 at the moment...

oh well now have derbyshire cluttering up This Week as well ....in chiswick auction rooms...a long way from salford anyways.... ;-):)
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Lordoz, I had got fed up of my posts getting deleted but it seems to have settled down. Since I have been away for a while it is time for a moan.

I have drifted away from 5 live where in the past I would have listened right through from Breakfast to Drive plus late night, now I just dip in. The station is stale and needs a shake up and define what its purpose is, what comes first, news or sport? Being licence fee funded they should be providing something not delivered by the commercial sector rather than increasingly going down the Talk Sport route.

My reduced listening is in part down to the lack of in depth coverage of the news, 5 live no longer sets the news agenda (apart from the occasional VD abuse / addiction story) they seem to follow the Daily Mail / Telegraph agenda with little more than Press Association copy. This is probably in part down to funding cuts but also the station has become stale. Like the rest of the BBC, 5 live they appear to be scared of their own shadow and no longer hold the government and politicians to account or break stories. Also foreign news is rarely covered.

The need to go to inaudible press conference or a wicket at the cricket live interrupting the current item is really irritating, however the need to go live seems to be dropped when they are covering football or tennis.

I also find it annoying and unnecessary when they lead the news with a sports story and then again the sports news with the same story.

It is understandable that there will be more sport during the World Cup and Wimbledon but even during the rest of the year sport, in particular football, seems to be increasingly dominating at the expense of the news coverage. The sports news bulletins seem to be increasingly filled with tittle tattle such as some ex footballer tweeting some disparaging comment about a current player / manager rather than what I would call real sports news, there is plenty of material that could be reported, sports such as swimming and cycling get little coverage. Too many of the sports shows are just filled with pundits waffling on discussing football rather than commentaries or other sports.

Late nights are poor with Phil Williams and Nolan, when you think back to the days of Fi Glover and Matthew Banister when there was interesting discussions and analysis of the day’s news and coverage of foreign news stories instead of the Nolan shock jock nonsense we have now.

The station hasn't got any better since Wall took over from AVK as controller, he hasn't really made he mark with any changes to daytime. A freshening up is needed, maybe part time Shelagh Fogarty should be the first to be replaced with a more news focused lunchtime show?

well yes it's more sensible here these days with the mapperley factor gone it's a nicer place to be....and your post is exactly why I've missed you so much....on the same wavelength with opinion on 5 live and I agree with every word you say........ ^_^

it really is lovely to have you back :):):)
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chandlerp wrote: »
    LostFool wrote: »
    I don't know. Anyone coming on R5L must know it's a breaking news and sport station so interruptions are inevitable. A "wicket at the cricket" is news. You wouldn't expect them to say "there's been a goal in the England game but we won't tell you about it until the news."

On the "wicket at the cricket" debate, I think Radio 5 Live should take a leaf out of talkSPORT's book when it comes to updating the cricket...hear me out before jumping to conclusions about what I've written below. ;-)

Over on talkSPORT, which as you all know is a station devoted totally to sport, even they won't necessarily interrupt whatever they are doing to update a fall of wicket. When a wicket falls or something else significant (a century gets scored, a team declares etc) occurs in the cricket, usually they will not curtail a caller or cut into an interview to immediately update it, instead they normally wait until the call/item has concluded before crossing to the cricket. General progress reports from the cricket are also sensibly timed, with them usually airing during sports news bulletins (as per Radio 5 Live) or just before they go to or after they return from commercial breaks.

Obviously this isn't the case all of the time - when something major like a match/series winning wicket falls, that will obviously take priority over just about everything and rightly so - but they're not in the business of interrupting a big interview with a notable guest just to update listeners on say the fall of the fifth wicket in the first inning of the match as quickly as possible. With cricket updates usually coming during shows presented by a big cricket fan, a former England international and an ex-Test Match Special commentator, I'd have to say that they strike a pretty successful balance between updating the cricket and allocating everything else the time it merits IMO.

I'm certainly not of the school of thought that thinks BBC Radio 5 Live should heavily scale back on the number of updates they provide from England cricket matches, but even as a cricket fan I feel that those who object to the seeming need to immediately drop everything to update any wicket as quickly as possible have a point. I feel they could do an awful lot worse than to strike the sort of balance talkSPORT have, I know I'm writing this as a fan of that station so some of you will probably take this post with a pinch of salt, but I genuinely think they get it about right.
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the "wicket at the cricket" debate, I think Radio 5 Live should take a leaf out of talkSPORT's book when it comes to updating the cricket...hear me out before jumping to conclusions about what I've written below. ;-)

Over on talkSPORT, which as you all know is a station devoted totally to sport, even they won't necessarily interrupt whatever they are doing to update a fall of wicket. When a wicket falls or something else significant (a century gets scored, a team declares etc) occurs in the cricket, usually they will not curtail a caller or cut into an interview to immediately update it, instead they normally wait until the call/item has concluded before crossing to the cricket. General progress reports from the cricket are also sensibly timed, with them usually airing during sports news bulletins (as per Radio 5 Live) or just before they go to or after they return from commercial breaks.

Obviously this isn't the case all of the time - when something major like a match/series winning wicket falls, that will obviously take priority over just about everything and rightly so - but they're not in the business of interrupting a big interview with a notable guest just to update listeners on say the fall of the fifth wicket in the first inning of the match as quickly as possible. With cricket updates usually coming during shows presented by a big cricket fan, a former England international and an ex-Test Match Special commentator, I'd have to say that they strike a pretty successful balance between updating the cricket and allocating everything else the time it merits IMO.

I'm certainly not of the school of thought that thinks BBC Radio 5 Live should heavily scale back on the number of updates they provide from England cricket matches, but even as a cricket fan I feel that those who object to the seeming need to immediately drop everything to update any wicket as quickly as possible have a point. I feel they could do an awful lot worse than to strike the sort of balance talkSPORT have, I know I'm writing this as a fan of that station so some of you will probably take this post with a pinch of salt, but I genuinely think they get it about right.

seems sensible to me. as a live news and sport station, 5Live should let listeners know about what is happening at the cricket, but waiting 2 extra minutes to finish an item isn't going to hurt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Jasmine - well said - you have put my thoughts into words :)
  • Options
    dazcdazc Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who was the commanter on djockvic vs Simon
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazc wrote: »
    who was the commanter on djockvic vs Simon

if you mean the female one, it was Gigi Salmon
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was impressed with Gigi Salmon. She actually commentated on the match and didn't shout.

I do try to understand some of the criticisms of 5 live. However I was intrigued with the comment about 5 live following the Daily Mail/ Daily Telegraph agenda. In another part of the same forest there is a refrain that 5 live is part of the Leftie BBC. One of these allegations might be true. Both of them surely can't be.

I listen to LBC sometimes. Andrew Pierce is good value and the Mellor/Livingstone show is a good round up of the week in politics.

I have found Rachel Burden's reports from Afghanistan on 5 live to be very instructive.
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have found Rachel Burden's reports from Afghanistan on 5 live to be very instructive.

Bit late isn't she..........:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 live still have 7 commentators in Brazil when they need only 4 plus one reserve.
    The BBC. Wasting your money. It's what we do.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 live still have 7 commentators in Brazil when they need only 4 plus one reserve.
    The BBC. Wasting your money. It's what we do.

It's hardly wasting much money is it, few hundred quid on flights/hotels, they'd be paying them anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five - dying on the vine.
    The unofficial combination of national dab LBC (for news and life issues) and Talksport (football) is wiping the floor with Five. Five management appears resigned to the fact by their lack of action to freshen up the stale channel. Even the previous avid defenders of Five on DS now seem to have made the switch to Lbc from time to time.
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may be right but as stated before I first saw the old message board for 5 live in 2006 when many were predicting the death of that station. If you don't mind I'd rather reserve judgement on that.

I much prefer 5 live's world cup coverage to that of Talksport.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If 5 Live didn't cover the World Cup so extensively they would have more resources to cover other sports in greater detail and there would be more comprehensive news coverage.

If the 3 reporters who are not needed in Brazil were back in the UK, they could be sent to cover other events.

News hasn't been completely neglected. I was surprised to hear a few days ago 5 Live would be in Afghanistan for the armed forces weekend.
  • Options
    JERRY HIPKISSJERRY HIPKISS Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five - dying on the vine.
    The unofficial combination of national dab LBC (for news and life issues) and Talksport (football) is wiping the floor with Five. Five management appears resigned to the fact by their lack of action to freshen up the stale channel. Even the previous avid defenders of Five on DS now seem to have made the switch to Lbc from time to time.
    Assumptions rule...assuming that Mr. and Mrs. Average somewhere outside the M25 have a DAB radio, assuming that they actually use it for more than ten minutes at a time in the kitchen, assuming that they ever do a rescan...without a major national awareness campaign that LBC is available nationally, I very much doubt that many outside the anorak community have "made the switch"...my assumption, obviously...:)
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    I much prefer 5 live's world cup coverage to that of Talksport.

Out of interest, why is that? I've listened to a lot of talkSPORT's World Cup coverage this month and have really enjoyed what I've heard, in particular Jim Proudfoot and Alan Parry have made successful returns and Stuart Pearce was a fantastic addition to their team while he was out in Brazil.

I've not heard as much of Radio 5 Live's coverage, but while I rate most of their lead commentators I have to say their choice of co-commentators was a mixed bag - Brad Friedel was an excellent addition to their team and I hear Tony Pulis and Neil Lennon also did well, but a number of their regular summarisers don't inspire me to tune in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assumptions rule...assuming that Mr. and Mrs. Average somewhere outside the M25 have a DAB radio, assuming that they actually use it for more than ten minutes at a time in the kitchen, assuming that they ever do a rescan...without a major national awareness campaign that LBC is available nationally, I very much doubt that many outside the anorak community have "made the switch"...my assumption, obviously...:)

LBC is hurting Five. LBC aint just inside the M25 get real. I think its disgraceful how Five is rolling over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your assumption...
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LBC is hurting Five. LBC aint just inside the M25 get real. I think its disgraceful how Five is rolling over.

Evidence of which can easily be found over the next 3 hours on 5 LIve with Dotun and the groundhog day, or should that be night, of New York chit chat and Virtual Jukebox music waffle that even music fans cannot stand anymore. Oh but Dotun miraculously isn't there tonight but I bet the content remains the same stale fare.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeh.
    Derbyshire's national broadcaster's Misery Hour
    against
    Clegg
    Farage
    Johnson
    and now Harman
    and people talk about assumptions...