Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Sky+ recorder

Old 31-07-2014, 13:42
Eric_Ashton
Forum Member

I have had a Sky contract for 7 years which I am terminating.I shall be keeping the Sky + recorder to use with Freesat channels.Sky tell me that the box reverts to Freesat when the Sky contract ends.Will I be able to pair the Sky + box with my iPhone for remote record set up?
Eric_Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 31-07-2014, 13:45
grahamlthompson
Forum Member

I have had a Sky contract for 7 years which I am terminating.I shall be keeping the Sky + recorder to use with Freesat channels.Sky tell me that the box reverts to Freesat when the Sky contract ends.Will I be able to pair the Sky + box with my iPhone for remote record set up?
Without some sort of subscription you won't be able to record with the Sky box anyway.
grahamlthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 14:12
REPASSAC
Forum Member

It will revert to a Freesat-from-Sky unit. You will get the same Sky EPG with even more channels you cannot watch and as Graham says, you will not be able to record or watch recorded shows.

We would recommend buying a new or even second hand proper freesat+ unit with the freesat epg and extra's. Payback is very quick when compared to the cost of a Sky subscription.

I can recommend either a Humax freetime unit or the older Foxsat.
REPASSAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 17:18
leicslad46
Forum Member

Without some sort of subscription you won't be able to record with the Sky box anyway.
My 25 year association with sky is coming to an end this weekend. One thing that i am really going to miss is the sky+ functionality. The five years of having sky+ has been great. I dont want to faff about switching boxes to allow me to record programmes. The pvr fucntionality should be available on sky boxes with or without a subscription
leicslad46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 17:52
grahamlthompson
Forum Member

My 25 year association with sky is coming to an end this weekend. One thing that i am really going to miss is the sky+ functionality. The five years of having sky+ has been great. I dont want to faff about switching boxes to allow me to record programmes. The pvr fucntionality should be available on sky boxes with or without a subscription
The Sky website fails to mention this rather important fact. It doesn't even appear in the faq's.

And as for the reasons to choose Freesat From Sky, there's no mention of the rather important fact that you cannot record.

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/what-can-i-watch/

Personally I think this is more than a bit misleading.
grahamlthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 18:19
REPASSAC
Forum Member

But then again they never tried to badge it freesat-from-Sky+.

I lived with the EPG without a sub for a while - my annoyance with the cluttered epg filled with things I could not watch coupled with the extra power Sky units consume (with standard settings) decided me on the freesat+ route. Most happy with it.
REPASSAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 19:28
Nigel Goodwin
Forum Member

The pvr fucntionality should be available on sky boxes with or without a subscription
It can't be, because the unit is supplied as a non-PVR - only the Sky subscription makes it in to a PVR - this apparently removes extortionate EU taxes from the boxes.

As everyone else has suggested - buy a Freesat PVR, if that's what you want.
Nigel Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:17
alloneword
Forum Member

Just bung the sky box in the bin and if money is tight just buy a "Humax Foxsat HDR" one sold on ebay end of june for 35 delivered, it also has a neat bit of firmware you can play with or spend 129 and buy a 500GB version from Humax direct (12 mth g'tee) and just plug it in, it is that simple or if your happy to dump the g'tee then bung in a 60 2TB drive and recored till your heart is content.

All1
alloneword is offline   Reply With Quote