Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What's a reasonable price to pay for a new operating system?

Old 27-07-2014, 12:01
noise747
Forum Member

So you're not against updates per se, just Microsoft ones?
Did I type that? No, I don't think I did.

I typed "I never do auto updates apart from my Antivirus" that mean all updates, not just windows, software as well, all disabled, I do not mind being reminded, but not auto updates

Windows does give you a choice of:

Automatic (recommended) Automatically download recommended updates for my computer and install them
OR
Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them
OR
Notify me but don't automatically download or install them

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

Windows 8.1 tells you that there updates available before you get to the desktop. I have my updates for the antivirus set to auto. You think Windows doesn't give you a choice of auto and manual updates? Windows does.
i know windows 8 gives me a choice, I have done that, but it only tells me on boot up that there are updates and then it goes to the metro UI to update it that is a waste of time since my computer goes directly to the desktop, not even a lock screen

I have to use third party software so windows can tell me there is updates on the desktop. that should not be.

My security suite is on auto update.

I don't think it's panic to want an OS that can be security patched. I doubt the system where you work will be going from website to website as normal users will. The more restricted the OS's journey online is, the less chance there is of any hole being exploited.
Oh it is restricted, but still a fair few sites work with it. but i doubt they are linked tot he net directly, I expect they go through head office servers.

i still think some people are panicking too much. I think we got one less computer on Xp now anyway, one of the ones that I keep a eye on have gone down this morning, turns on then straight off. sounds like PSU failure, it would not surprise me the machine is getting on and I do not think the PSU is that great anyway. I expect the heat have got to it.

I will have a look this evening or tomorrow. going to a BBQ this afternoon. They have a tablet to keep them going. Hopefully it is not terminal. PSU can be replaced.

Anyway, there are still many XP machines out there and will be for a while yet.
noise747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-07-2014, 13:14
starry_rune
Forum Member

What shocks me is the price still being charged for Vista OS and laptops running Vista OS on ebay
starry_rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 13:46
Kal_El
Forum Member

I felt l had to upgrade my laptop's XP operating system with the end of support and l went with a Linux operating system. These are for the most part free although voluntary donations are invited.

I ended up donating 30 which seemed quite reasonable to me but l was surprised by the prices being charged for new Microsoft operating systems especially for the residual supplies of legitimate Windows 7 disks. Any comments/experiences on this matter would be welcome below.
Hi TVU, if you're still reading this thread, which Linux did you choose in the end? You must have been happy with it as you decided to donate.

I think I've donated more money to Linux projects over the years than I ever spent on Windows products! In fact I'm sure of it. But it's an easy decision if it works well (which in my case Linux Mint works extremely well), helps keep the project free for all, and drives development. Linux Mint seems to have had an absolute explosion of donations in recent times. The main developer comments on it all the time on his blog.
Kal_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 14:41
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

70-80 I would think.

It's the main software on your computer so I don't mind paying a bit for it.
That is indeed very reasonable. I've seen operating systems on sale for 170-180 and, as well as being on the high side, l feel that prices that high could encourage piracy (which l don't condone because an operating system requires time, effort and money to develop and that ought to be repaid).

Well, it's not fine with security because the security is virtually gone. They basically have to walk on egg shells when online because of their OS not being able to be patched.
I'd go along with this. Whilst there are steps that can be taken to minimise security risks, the ideal thing to do would be to replace XP on the PC/laptop.

If they got a computer repair workshop, why have they got machine that are full of viruses? It would not really fill me with confidence to get my computer fixed there

As I said, linux is ideal for a internet cafe and something like Mint is pretty much like Windows in use.
That is a logical solution. My local library service still uses XP units to access the internet and l'll try and remember to suggest this to them next time l visit.

Hi TVU, if you're still reading this thread, which Linux did you choose in the end? You must have been happy with it as you decided to donate.

I think I've donated more money to Linux projects over the years than I ever spent on Windows products! In fact I'm sure of it. But it's an easy decision if it works well (which in my case Linux Mint works extremely well), helps keep the project free for all, and drives development. Linux Mint seems to have had an absolute explosion of donations in recent times. The main developer comments on it all the time on his blog.
I tried a number of Linux distributions on the laptop to replace XP and I settled for LXLE in the end (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99zomqqk1tM). It's lighter on system resources than XP was because these days the fan hardly ever goes to high speed and the broadband works consistently and perfectly now. I also like the automatic wallpaper changer although it's a trivial thing. I thought the developer ought to be recompensed for putting this OS together and to encourage future development.

My PC has a Windows OS that's still supported and I've been trying out Linux variants like Zorin, Kubuntu, etc. and l want to test more with a long term view to having a dual boot system or to replace Windows entirely. Whichever Linux OS that eventually gets installed will get a donation too.
TelevisionUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 14:46
starry_rune
Forum Member

While XP itself will be completely obsolete by 2015, surely the actual software and browsers you install will still keep updating?
starry_rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 14:58
zx50
Forum Member

While XP itself will be completely obsolete by 2015, surely the actual software and browsers you install will still keep updating?
The update might not install because of it not being compatible with XP. I'm guessing on that.
zx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 15:18
alan1302
Forum Member

Not always - browsers and software are moving away from having Windows XP versions as well.
alan1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 18:37
Kal_El
Forum Member

I tried a number of Linux distributions on the laptop to replace XP and I settled for LXLE in the end (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99zomqqk1tM). It's lighter on system resources than XP was because these days the fan hardly ever goes to high speed and the broadband works consistently and perfectly now. I also like the automatic wallpaper changer although it's a trivial thing. I thought the developer ought to be recompensed for putting this OS together and to encourage future development.

My PC has a Windows OS that's still supported and I've been trying out Linux variants like Zorin, Kubuntu, etc. and l want to test more with a long term view to having a dual boot system or to replace Windows entirely. Whichever Linux OS that eventually gets installed will get a donation too.
LXLE looks very good for older systems. My mum has my old desktop which has a pretty low spec. I think I'll give it a go and see how it works out for them.

But yes I agree about donating, and I do try to donate whenever I can. For me it's just putting my money where my mouth is.
Kal_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2014, 19:34
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

LXLE looks very good for older systems. My mum has my old desktop which has a pretty low spec. I think I'll give it a go and see how it works out for them.

But yes I agree about donating, and I do try to donate whenever I can. For me it's just putting my money where my mouth is.
Yep, Kal_El, and it's a great thing to do. Ideally, I'd want be in a position to contribute to projects that supply refurbished computers (refitted with Linux) and printers to poorer adults and students in education and to support those Linux distributions that are particularly orientated towards education such as Uberstudent, Skolelinux and Edubuntu.
Old 01-08-2014, 14:52
joeysneddon
Forum Member

Not always - browsers and software are moving away from having Windows XP versions as well.
^ Yup. Mozilla and Google are offering a grace period of a year to their browsers, but after that they will (likely) stop being updated.
joeysneddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 17:20
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

^ Yup. Mozilla and Google are offering a grace period of a year to their browsers, but after that they will (likely) stop being updated.
Google will continue to support Chrome until at least April 2015 and Firefox has no current plans to end support for XP.

Sources =
http://googleenterprise.blogspot.co....-xp-users.html
http://www.neowin.net/news/mozilla-t...ort-for-the-os
Old 02-08-2014, 00:56
darkjedimaster
Forum Member

80-100 the latter if they allow you to install it on as many of your own home systems as you like, think of it as 1 license per household & not 1 license per computer it is installed on. Unless of course it is in the design of that piece of sh!t aka Windows 8, which I wouldn't even download illegally. I like an OS on my computer, not bloody Tetris.
darkjedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:54
emptybox
Forum Member

45 is the most I've paid, for a retail copy of Windows 7 when it first came out.
I paid 25 for Windows 8 Pro Update.

As computer hardware is much cheaper now, and you can buy a reasonable basic system without OS for under 200, then you certainly wouldn't want to pay more than 50 extra for the OS.

A different story I suppose if you were setting up a 1000 gaming system?
emptybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:52
noise747
Forum Member

80-100 the latter if they allow you to install it on as many of your own home systems as you like, think of it as 1 license per household & not 1 license per computer it is installed on. Unless of course it is in the design of that piece of sh!t aka Windows 8, which I wouldn't even download illegally. I like an OS on my computer, not bloody Tetris.
Windows 8 is not that bad, you can get rid of what you call the tetris part.
noise747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:21
darkjedimaster
Forum Member

Windows 8 is not that bad, you can get rid of what you call the tetris part.
Yes I know you can get rid of that part, but wasn't sure if they had implemented the Start menu / task bar back again, instead of that awful drag type menu to shutdown / restart etc.
darkjedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:02
Alan F
Forum Member

With various highly capable Linux distributions, Ubuntu and Mint to name but 2, and all user software legally available totally free, there seems to be no case for paying for any software.

That much software still has a price tag only serves to emphasise that ALL software costs to produce. That many Linux software developers chose to do this 'pro bono' does not mean that it is cost free. There are many hardware and distribution costs that cannot be avoided. Someone has to pay.

Included with hardware, initial one-off payment, subscription all the different methods of paying just show that no-one trully has an industry wide answer.

Remember that ANYTHING is only worth what someone will pay for it on that day.

For the record I user Windows 7, paid for, and Ubuntu, free.
Alan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 19:44
shhftw
Forum Member

With various highly capable Linux distributions, Ubuntu and Mint to name but 2, and all user software legally available totally free, there seems to be no case for paying for any software.

That much software still has a price tag only serves to emphasise that ALL software costs to produce. That many Linux software developers chose to do this 'pro bono' does not mean that it is cost free. There are many hardware and distribution costs that cannot be avoided. Someone has to pay.

Included with hardware, initial one-off payment, subscription all the different methods of paying just show that no-one trully has an industry wide answer.

Remember that ANYTHING is only worth what someone will pay for it on that day.

For the record I user Windows 7, paid for, and Ubuntu, free.
Many softwares are written solely for Windows. It still makes sense as it has the widest user base and fuels the argument for continuing to use Windows. Plus, it has the highest likelihood of generating revenue as it's users are already operating within a pay to use environment.
shhftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 19:54
Kaz159
Forum Member

I've read this thread with interest. My netbook runs Windows XP and I use it failry regularly. It's not my main computer.

Having read this http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/softw...ve-all-updates I'm comfortable still using it.
Kaz159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 22:56
shhftw
Forum Member

I've read this thread with interest. My netbook runs Windows XP and I use it failry regularly. It's not my main computer.

Having read this http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/softw...ve-all-updates I'm comfortable still using it.
If you have digested all of that, maybe you can mail me a copy of the slipstreamed XP install disc. I can't be bothered doing that. I stopped when RyanVM stopped updating his updater. Not that I'm likely to use it in anger. Just as a curio in 20 years
shhftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:26
Alan F
Forum Member

Many softwares are written solely for Windows. It still makes sense as it has the widest user base and fuels the argument for continuing to use Windows. Plus, it has the highest likelihood of generating revenue as it's users are already operating within a pay to use environment.
Whilst it would be foolish to deny that much software is available in Windows format only I would contend that there is little that the HOME USER would wish to do for which a free Linux solution is not readily available.

Maybe you would care to list the common tasks, with their Windows only solutions, that requires the User to purchase Windows?
Old 03-08-2014, 12:37
calico_pie
Forum Member

It's not free, it's included in the purchase price of a new Mac, same as Windows is normally included in the price of a new PC.

Try ringing Apple and ask them to send you a free copy of OSX if you haven't bought any of their hardware and don't have a license.
The current version of OS X is free when you buy the computer.

The current version of Windows is free when you buy the computer.

Future upgrades of OS X are also currently free when upgrades are released.

Future upgrades of Windows are not free when upgrades are released.
calico_pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:58
Alan F
Forum Member

Perhaps the software and the hardware is free! Maybe it is the box that you are paying for.
Old 03-08-2014, 13:20
Stig
Forum Member

Windows 8 to 8.1 was free
Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 13:22
Maxatoria
Forum Member

Future upgrades of OS X are also currently free when upgrades are released.

OSX is included in the purchase price of the hardware, its not free but I wonder what would happen if you declined the licensing agreement and tried to get the license fee back like you can do on windows

and as to windows being free it aint and never has been, you can buy OS free computers but the big boys like dell get bulk buy discounts so the license fee is pretty small
Maxatoria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 13:27
1saintly
Forum Member

But thats the problem with OSX, new versions a released quicker than new windows versions, as a rule new versions of windows will run on older hardwaer.
New versions of OSX wont run on older hardware?
1saintly is offline   Reply With Quote