Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Female Doctor

Old 01-08-2014, 16:00
Xmas_Trenzalore
Forum Member

For the sake of argument, lets say its been set in stone that the next incarnation is gonna be a woman, who would you like to see in the role and why?

I reckon Tamsin Greig [Fran from Black Books] would be a great choice choice. Despite being an older actress, she still seems young and sprightly. She could really play up the comedic alien side of the Doctor, and she's got an intelligent look about her.

[This is not a discussion about whether or not the Doctor could/should be a woman.]
Xmas_Trenzalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 01-08-2014, 16:14
The100thDoctor
Forum Member

If I Had To Choose, I Think Helena Bonham Carter Would Be Mind Blowing! Aside From That, I Think She Would Make A Great Rani
The100thDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 16:27
Pull2Open
Forum Member

I have no choice! i would watch episode one with morbid curiosity then throw in the towel.
Pull2Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 17:09
Face Of Jack
Forum Member

I have no choice! i would watch episode one with morbid curiosity then throw in the towel.
Me too!!

But let's go with the flow and pretend......

I think Sandi Toksvig would be perfect! Or Sue Perkins?
Face Of Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 17:10
Corwin
Forum Member

Rachel Weisz or Eva Green.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 17:14
rhynoGB
Forum Member

If I Had To Choose, I Think Helena Bonham Carter Would Be Mind Blowing! Aside From That, I Think She Would Make A Great Rani
I was talking about his the other day and her name came up. It is such a hard thing to decide who should be the doctor. Whether it be a man or a woman.
rhynoGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 17:18
The100thDoctor
Forum Member

I was talking about his the other day and her name came up. It is such a hard thing to decide who should be the doctor. Whether it be a man or a woman.
It Is, But Im Very Sure She Would Make A Great One! And If I Could Choose Anyone To Play The Next Doctor After Capaldi, It Would Have To Be Johny Depp!
Old 01-08-2014, 18:35
juicylemons
Forum Member

Emma Thompson would be perfect, as would Helena Bonham Carter, Julie Walters or even Sue Perkins. If the first female casting was also the first American casting, I'd say Meryl Streep. My main choice would be Emma Thompson - she's such an amazing actor, very funny and boy, for an older women, she looks bloody great!
juicylemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 18:52
tiggerpooh
Forum Member

Julia Sawalha is my number one choice. She'd be great as a female Doctor.

http://thehshq.com/d/29544-1/julia-s...geViewsIndex=1

She would be like a sort of Emma Peel type Doctor, with knee length boots and Sonic in hand.
tiggerpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 18:55
Talma
Forum Member

Me too. 50 years and out.
Talma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 19:03
ScampDoodle
Forum Member

Tilda Swinton would get my vote, wonderful actress with a sort of 'other-worldly' vibe going on.

She's also Scottish so fits in with Moffat's 'Scottish agenda'*

* allegedly
ScampDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 21:07
sandydune
Forum Member

I have a silly suggestion and that would be Suzi Quatro with guitar. and my serious suggestion would be Jessica Stevenson/ Hynes because she's funny.
sandydune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 21:13
tiggerpooh
Forum Member

I have a silly suggestion and that would be Suzi Quatro with guitar. and my serious suggestion would be Jessica Stevenson/ Hynes because she's funny.
She was very funny in The Royle Family wasn't she? Especially in one scene, when Barbara asks, "How's your diet going Cheryl?", to which she replied, "I've lost a stone." Barbara and the rest of the Royles cheered, then she corrected by saying, "No, not a stone, actually a pound!" Ha! Ha! Very funny!

You have to remember, she's been in DW twice before. I don't think Moffat would pick her after Peter Capaldi eventually goes. Besides, Capaldi may decide to stay for years and years. I don't think that's likely though.
Old 01-08-2014, 21:16
Face Of Jack
Forum Member

Why not go ALL OUT!! Let's have Jessica Fletcher & Jaime Sommers too!

It'll never happen! (fun to play with the idea though!)
Face Of Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 21:26
The100thDoctor
Forum Member

Why not go ALL OUT!! Let's have Jessica Fletcher & Jaime Sommers too!

It'll never happen! (fun to play with the idea though!)
The Investigator? She'd Run Like That Slitheen In Boom Town lmao xD
Old 01-08-2014, 21:29
sandydune
Forum Member

Originally Posted by tiggerpooh
She was very funny in The Royle Family wasn't she? Especially in one scene, when Barbara asks, "How's your diet going Cheryl?", to which she replied, "I've lost a stone." Barbara and the rest of the Royles cheered, then she corrected by saying, "No, not a stone, actuially a pound!" Ha! Ha! Very funny!

Yes, but she's been in DW twice before. I don't think Moffat would pick her after Peter Capaldi eventually goes. Besides, Capaldi may decide to stay for years and years. I don't think that's likely though.
She has mostly played understated in her roles and sometimes comes across more real as in funny without meaning to but that could be down to the writing. She's a very good actress.

Peter Capaldi was in Doctor Who before. Peter is only just starting his role as The Doctor as in on screen, he's worked hard filming the yet to be screened episodes and once he gets his bearings, compass, direction,(little joke). he will be The Doctor and with those boots made for walking.
sandydune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 00:53
The_Judge_
Forum Member

Tilda Swinton would get my vote, wonderful actress with a sort of 'other-worldly' vibe going on.
Good choice !
The_Judge_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:32
tiggerpooh
Forum Member

Imelda Staunton just came to mind when reading some of the comments on here. Thinking about it, she would make quite a good female Doctor.

I can just see her waving the Sonic around, then running away from the villain/villains.

http://wondrous-world.narod.ru/photo...staunton_6.jpg
Old 02-08-2014, 02:57
AdelaideGirl
Forum Member

Julia Sawahla, Emma Thompson, Keeley Hawes, Helena Bonham Carter, Penelope Keith 20 years ago umm Sophie Okonedo was wonderfully mad as Liz 10 and she can do very serious too.

It's just like what male actor could play the Doctor so many choices and they would all bring something great to the part.
AdelaideGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:30
tiggerpooh
Forum Member

Julia Sawahla, Emma Thompson, Keeley Hawes, Helena Bonham Carter, Penelope Keith 20 years ago umm Sophie Okonedo was wonderfully mad as Liz 10 and she can do very serious too.

It's just like what male actor could play the Doctor so many choices and they would all bring something great to the part.
Err...Sophie Okonedo? A black Doctor? Especially a female, black Doctor? No, I don't think so, thank you.

Yes, I think Julia Sawalha and Imelda Staunton would be great in their own way, but any other woman playing the part? I cannot see it, personally.

Edit - I've just been thinking more about this, and what about Karen Gillan? I can just se her with the Sonic and the fancy outfit. But the Doctor, regenerating into the likeness of one of his companions? As I said, Karen would be good, but I cannot see it ever happening.

Maybe I'm going on a bit too much. I'm going to sleep in about twenty minutes, so that'll give my brain a rest for a few hours.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:42
AdelaideGirl
Forum Member

So Tiggerpooh - a Black Queen of England is ok but not a black Doctor?
AdelaideGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:05
claire2281
Forum Member

So Tiggerpooh - a Black Queen of England is ok but not a black Doctor?
Heaven forbid, eh?

Personally, male actor wise, I'd love to see Idris Elba or Chiwetel Ejiofor play the Doctor. Both brilliant actors and they really have the gravitas and charisma for the role.

Lady wise, I think the idea of Eva Green is certainly intriguing. Superb actress.
claire2281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 17:55
Vopiscus
Forum Member

I was sorry to see that Elaine Stritch had died several days ago - an outstanding performer and always watchable. If we were going to have a female Doctor, she would have been my choice.
Vopiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 18:03
Pink Knight
Forum Member

I was sorry to see that Elaine Stritch had died several days ago - an outstanding performer and always watchable. If we were going to have a female Doctor, she would have been my choice.
Really, its a pity Thora Hird isn't still around and have Alan Bennett as her male companion. Ditto Dora Bryan and Hylda Baker.
Pink Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 23:25
chattswho
Forum Member

I had this discussion with a work colleague yesterday funnily enough. He made a claim that the doctor could only take on the form of a male timelord in much the same way that river song, romana & the rani has always been a woman.
Personally if they do go down the 'next doctor to be a woman' route, it will only be done to please political correctness. The doctor to me should be played by a male. Like batman is a male, james bond etc.. Certain parts should just be male/female only depending on what the part is.
chattswho is offline   Reply With Quote