Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would agree with all of that ^^
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely dislike UKIP yet I do see a certain anti UKIP bias in the media. You do get a few positive items about them but yes generally it's more negative.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the media isn't biased against UKIP then ask yourselves why was that story about the ex UKIP councillor headline news on the BBC tonight? How often do you hear about ex Tory or Labour councillors misbehaving on national 10pm news? local news maybe but not headline news
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    The BBC isn't "left leaning" - it does a pretty good job of being impartial.

Newsnight is the broadcasting arm of the Guardian.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,579
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Newsnight is the broadcasting arm of the Guardian.

Well, that's what some very right-wing people believe!
  • Options
    Boo Radley75Boo Radley75 Posts: 13,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although there is fair amount of negative coverage of UKIP in the media, most of it is brought on by themselves. The UKIP councillor who's hit the news today as an example. The media have given UKIP a platform, much more so than other minority parties. You can't blame the media is you point a camera at someone, given them that opportunity and then they use it to make an arse of themself.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although there is fair amount of negative coverage of UKIP in the media, most of it is brought on by themselves. The UKIP councillor who's hit the news today as an example. The media have given UKIP a platform, much more so than other minority parties. You can't blame the media is you point a camera at someone, given them that opportunity and then they use it to make an arse of themself.

That's only half the story. If a ukip councillor wants to make an arse of themselves and it gets reported then I have no problem with that. The problem comes when a councillor from another party does the same thing, or worse, and it gets no coverage at all. That's where the real bias is. Not in what's reported but in what's not reported. "conservative led government" and "Rotherham council" being a good (non ukip) example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    That's only half the story. If a ukip councillor wants to make an arse of themselves and it gets reported then I have no problem with that. The problem comes when a councillor from another party does the same thing, or worse, and it gets no coverage at all. That's where the real bias is. Not in what's reported but in what's not reported. "conservative led government" and "Rotherham council" being a good (non ukip) example.

Then that is showing clear bias in favour of UKIP, something which Nigel Farage himself inadvertently pointed out when he was bleating on about this woman getting her racist views shown of a telly when she was a Tory for 22 years and didn't get a mention. He has a point, why are minor UKIP councilors getting the opportunity to represent their party on telly far more than minor councilors of other parties? She was given a fantastic opportunity to advertise her party. The fact that she used it to make an arse out of herself is entirely her problem.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then that is showing clear bias in favour of UKIP, something which Nigel Farage himself inadvertently pointed out when he was bleating on about this woman getting her racist views shown of a telly when she was a Tory for 22 years and didn't get a mention. He has a point, why are minor UKIP councilors getting the opportunity to represent their party on telly far more than minor councilors of other parties? She was given a fantastic opportunity to advertise her party. The fact that she used it to make an arse out of herself is entirely her problem.

If she hadn't had made an arse of herself would it have been news? How many good news storys about ukip do you see?
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. No smoke without fire. Seeing UKIP welcoming and championing ex-NF members and members saying they have issues with other races on camera is all being done by the party itself. The media simply reports on that. And I think we can see how unpleasant the party really is more and more thanks to the media reporting it and refusing to be silenced under laughable complaints by UKIP. Freedom of speech works in many ways and UKIP are not.exempt from.the same scrutiny all parties are given.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    If she hadn't had made an arse of herself would it have been news? How many good news storys about ukip do you see?

It was part of a program being shown widely on telly tonight. If she hadn't said the racist comments, she would have still had this wide coverage.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    No, they are biased FOR UKIP. The amount of coverage they get is far disproportionate to their electoral success.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I don't know whether the broadcast media are biased against UKIP or not. I'm not sure what it would look like if they were. Presumably they would deny UKIP the opportunity to put over their views. Yet UKIP representatives are often on TV, either interviewed or on discussion programmes. I certainly feel I am being made aware of UKIP's views. I suppose bias might be evident from a constant stream of negative stories. But suppose a political party, perhaps because of its radical nature, attracts a disproportionate number of mavericks and oddballs. Would it be right for an impartial broadcaster to suppress news items about them? I think not.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Well, that's what some very right-wing people believe!

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/may/16/bbc-ian-katz-jamie-angus-newsnight-today
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/02/22/rozanne-duncan-meet-the-ukippers-_n_6729478.html
    It actually highlights how the Conservatives have manipulated the media to hide much of their core for 22+ years

It is only when you leave the party that truths then come out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »

This appointment does not mean that Newsnight is going to be run by the Guardian!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guardian deputy editor to run BBC2 current affairs show.

Seems pretty clear.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member

Seems pretty clear.
    Tricky though isn't it? Many journalists will have views of their own, and/or will have worked for media outlets with a particular editorial stance. Does that mean none of them can be expected to work in and adhere to the broadcast media's requirement to be impartial?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Seems pretty clear.

Well, it's pretty clear that a former Guardian journalist is now editing Newsnight. It is not in the least clear that he allows any political opinions he may have to bias his work at the BBC.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    I would say yes but not in the way Ukippers say yes. I think they have treated UKIP better then another party. They have only been treated like the other parties twice. Once in Nigel's interview with James O'Brien and the Channel 4 mocumentary.
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is anyone else getting the feeling that people are being planted in UKIP to stir things up.
    It seems awful funny to me that most seem to be EX Tories and old maybe past their prim in politics.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    worzil wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting the feeling that people are being planted in UKIP to stir things up.
    It seems awful funny to me that most seem to be EX Tories and old maybe past their prim in politics.
    The best thing is they think that everyone is voting UKIP and say "everyone I know is voting UKIP"
  • Options
    Super_SteveSuper_Steve Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say they should be biased against UKIP - if only this had been the case in Germany in the early 20th century it could have saved a whole lot of trouble in Europe and beyond.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say they should be biased against UKIP - if only this had been the case in Germany in the early 20th century it could have saved a whole lot of trouble in Europe and beyond.

Looks like the media were not strong enough with Blair.. God told him to invade Iraq remember? Farage is not that dangerous..
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    The BBC isn't "left leaning" - it does a pretty good job of being impartial.

In Denial. :D