Options

Inside No. 9 - BBC 2

Comments

• Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the stripper said " It doesn't sound too good does it?" because he just found out he'd be stripping for a 79 year old and not someone a lot younger?
  • Options
    LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like it. I think the drunk (having known a proper drunk) wouldn't have been that drunk if they were a habitual drinker. My friend dad was a big drinker always seemed more drunk when he wasn't drinking. Although I might steal the sun cream idea even though I am dark skinned
  • Options
    Cold ComfortCold Comfort Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Episode 1 and 4 are amazing, I have watched them 5 times over this week. The other episodes are awful, even Sheridan Smith couldn't save the script.
  • Options
    Pop PrincessPop Princess Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is pretty irrelevant to the episode but it was suggested that Claire Skinner's character was posh because she phonetically pronounced the word butcher as "butt-cher" rather than "boot-cher". I have never heard anyone ever pronounce that word any other way than "boot-cher". Is pronouncing it "butt-cher" a thing posh people do? :p
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is pretty irrelevant to the episode but it was suggested that Claire Skinner's character was posh because she phonetically pronounced the word butcher as "butt-cher" rather than "boot-cher". I have never heard anyone ever pronounce that word any other way than "boot-cher". Is pronouncing it "butt-cher" a thing posh people do? :p

I thought she pronounced it 'batcher'.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one was in the wheelie bin. It was just used to show the house number.

Thanks LG, as the camera panned onto the bin (to show the house number) there was a voice being spoken. It looked to me at the time that there was someone in the bin asking to get out! :blush:
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that the overdone 'batcher' joke was taking the piss out of northerners who try and sound 'posh' by changing how they pronounce the letter 'u' to match how they assume southerners pronounce it in words like 'butcher' - unfortunately they get it completely wrong because southerners pronounce the word 'butcher' as 'butcher' never 'batcher' lol

Overall, the most lightweight of the 5 episodes so far. Nan's farts said it all.
  • Options
    gonzo24gonzo24 Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Regarding the "cheap trick" of the paramedic/stripper I think some folk are being overly harsh and not giving credit where it's due. It was a clever piece of diversion, getting the viewer to think one thing when the reality is different. There was only one line which was misleading the words "who called it in?" Why would a stripper need to know that? All the other lines work, and there were also clues that it wasn't a real paramedic, we just missed them.
    - no blue lights and siren as the car arrived
    - no markings on the car to say ambulance, emergency vehicle etc.
    - driver using Bluetooth headset rather than a radio
    I think you can accuse the writers of a small slip, but not lazy writing, this series is anything but that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. The furious reactions about being "lied to" and "cheating" are laughable. It is a half hour comedy programme. And an extremely lauded and well written one. A rare thing! It has been damned disproportionately by people who have been incensed at being duped.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    I didn't like it. I think the drunk (having known a proper drunk) wouldn't have been that drunk if they were a habitual drinker. My friend dad was a big drinker always seemed more drunk when he wasn't drinking. Although I might steal the sun cream idea even though I am dark skinned

Off topic but the sun cream thing reminded me of a story I was told (true story) about a guy who
    apparently used to drink mouth wash all day because it had alcohol in it but didn't smell dodgy!

I am not sure if this would still work with mouth wash but it seems this was a method that
    some alcoholics used to use (maybe still do).
  • Options
    Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loved this overall and, compared to some of the complete and utter sh*te we see on our screens, this was class.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. The furious reactions about being "lied to" and "cheating" are laughable. It is a half hour comedy programme. And an extremely lauded and well written one. A rare thing! It has been damned disproportionately by people who have been incensed at being duped.

I think to be fair many of the people who were not so keen have still said it was good and
    better than most of the stuff being shown.

I guess these things always end up being judged in relative terms.

This is perhaps a bit random but it's like being disappointed when Usain Bolt "only" runs the
    100m in 9.7 seconds so has not smashed the world record again. Even though it is clearly
    a phenomenal performance.

I do agree though that it is rather extreme to be quite so outraged or use terms like
    "cheated" just because they pushed the realism a bit far when one episode had a woman
    turn into a bird and fly off at the end! ;-)
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though it wasn't the best I thought it was easily the funniest episode! Lots of laughs to be had, especially if you know anyone like Angela where everything has to be so prim and proper yet it's all fake, with their lives falling apart around them. The 'Countdown videos' part was brilliant. The stripper dancing to the Casualty music is one of the funniest things I've seen in ages too. :D

Though it was still a bit messy and they were trying to cram too much in. Pat knowing about the affair, or whatever had actually happened, wasn't really needed. In fact, Reece didn't even need to be in the episode as that character. It would still have worked without him, even though we wouldn't have had the 'Countdown' discussion. It was also a bit obvious that Angela wouldn't still be under the table, cause that would just have been depressing...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who's furious or incensed?

I don't care if an episode is extremely lauded or not, it's irrelevant.

As for being incensed at being duped, I felt nothing. Because the 'twist' was irrelevant to the main story and was just thrown in for the 'twist' junkies who need their twists. It had nothing to do with the thrust of the main story, and even for that reason alone it came across as a bit of a cheap trick, or a gimmick twist that they felt obliged to cram in there because people now expect twists.

Nobody I can see is angry or incensed. They just found it a bit of a disappointing episode. I know that some fans of the show want to promote every episode to genius status, but for some of us we just happen to feel that the ratio of quality episodes is about 1 in 3. Which I'm not saying is a bad thing, that's good enough for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Who's furious?"

You replied quoting the accusation, so it seems you know - you are.

"I don't care if an episode is extremely lauded or not, it's irrelevant."

That's right. It's just another irrelevant opinion isn't it. Just like yours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Who's furious?"

You replied quoting the accusation, so it seems you know - you are.

"I don't care if an episode is extremely lauded or not, it's irrelevant."

That's right. It's just another irrelevant opinion isn't it. Just like yours.

Oh. We've sunk down to this sort of level now have we?:D
    Let's argue like babies then.
    My opinion is betterer than yours, so there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As for being incensed at being duped, I felt nothing. Because the 'twist' was irrelevant to the main story and was just thrown in for the 'twist' junkies who need their twists. It had nothing to do with the thrust of the main story, and even for that reason alone it came across as a bit of a cheap trick, or a gimmick twist that they felt obliged to cram in there because people now expect twists.

Perhaps it was "thrown in" as an amusing pay off to a comedy programme. It wasn't a "twist" per say, but set up jeapordy that help throughout the story - as you knew ( or thought you knew ) disaster was going to strike. So actually you are totally wrong about it being tacked on and bring irrelevant to the main story.

Glad you felt nothing. Good for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perhaps it was "thrown in" as an amusing pay off to a comedy programme. It wasn't a "twist" per say, but set up jeapordy that help throughout the story - as you knew ( or thought you knew ) disaster was going to strike. So actually you are totally wrong about it being tacked on and bring irrelevant to the main story.

Glad you felt nothing. Good for you.

Good grief what's the matter with you? It's just an opinion.
    So every opinion doesn't agree with yours. Live with it. That's the nature of the forum, to offer diverse discussion. If everybody liked everything what a shit forum this would be. There'd be literally nothing worthwhile to read on it.
    The hostility really isn't necessary. Lets just beg to differ and move on from the personal digs.

In my opinion a twist is only worth it if it has a bearing on the main story. Otherwise it's as I say more of a gimmick. In this case it wasn't a payoff, I genuinely felt nothing, it felt like an intermission which broke from the story, and that's just the way I feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    happy to.
  • Options
    GibletOSullivanGibletOSullivan Posts: 42,104
    Forum Member
    I thought that the overdone 'batcher' joke was taking the piss out of northerners who try and sound 'posh'
    Nah, I don't think it was specifically targeting Northerners, the episode just happened to be set in the North.

I see the BBC have moved the final episode to another day [Wednesday]. Didn't they do that during the first series, as well? Or am I just confusing it with Psychoville, which seemed to be shunted all round the schedule for it's last few episodes?

The Beeb's apparent lack of respect for two of it's most creative talents is depressing, but unfortunately not surprising.
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else get a "Secrets and Lies" vibe ? But a rather more nutty sense.

Good episode
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone else get a "Secrets and Lies" vibe ? But a rather more nutty sense.

Good episode

This series has featured both Horrocks and Skinner who played sisters in the orher Mike Leigh, "Life is Sweet".
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, I don't think it was specifically targeting Northerners, the episode just happened to be set in the North.

I see the BBC have moved the final episode to another day [Wednesday]. Didn't they do that during the first series, as well? Or am I just confusing it with Psychoville, which seemed to be shunted all round the schedule for it's last few episodes?

The Beeb's apparent lack of respect for two of it's most creative talents is depressing, but unfortunately not surprising.

They just don't have the genuine comedy writing talent that the BBC is looking for, y'know real sublime writing in the vein of 'Two pints of p**h and a packet of s***e.'

When will its likes ever come around again? If ever anything again reaches those giddy heights of creative comedy genius, no doubt the BBC will guarantee it a ten year run... and I'll need a new telly.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just tried to watch the last two episodes and thought they were dreadful. To be honest, the Sheridan Smith one towered above all the others. The first one wasn't too bad and the witchfinder one seemed reasonable enough until ruined by a stupid ending.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how anyone could find episode 4 to be 'dreadful', it was an awesome bit of TV. :D Episode 5 was alright but won't be remembered half as much. The witch one is easily the worst, even though I normally like that kind of setup.