Forum Member
What do people think of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2FnsKL9MQ

Comments

• Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should probably focus your efforts on finding a new job, instead of wasting time making videos which will achieve nothing.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    wow that was boring.
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'I was a SUPERMARKET employee and was dismissed in week 3 of my probationary period due to my attendance and timekeeping.'

You had no employment rights unless you can show discrimination, it's a pointless waste of energy.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    'I was a SUPERMARKET employee and was dismissed in week 3 of my probationary period due to my attendance and timekeeping.'.

Surprised they waited until week 3.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    You should probably focus your efforts on finding a new job, instead of wasting time making videos which will achieve nothing.

I already have another job.

In fact, I have done a few jobs since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    'I was a SUPERMARKET employee and was dismissed in week 3 of my probationary period due to my attendance and timekeeping.'

You had no employment rights unless you can show discrimination, it's a pointless waste of energy.

But shouldn't there be anything in the law for such people, as it seems to be the case that employers can breach the contract with near impunity in the early stages of employment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    123ab wrote: »
    But shouldn't there be anything in the law for such people, as it seems to be the case that employers can breach the contract with near impunity in the early stages of employment.
    If a government makes it difficult or impossible for employers to dismiss unsuitable employees it has a net detrimental effect to the overall employment rate. The time after which employment rights should kick in is undoubtedly debatable but even the extreme left wing of the Labour Party would baulk at 3 weeks.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did all this happen in 2012?

If so, why are you posting it now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If a government makes it difficult or impossible for employers to dismiss unsuitable employees it has a net detrimental effect to the overall employment rate. The time after which employment rights should kick in is undoubtedly debatable but even the extreme left wing of the Labour Party would baulk at 3 weeks.

But the terms of the contract made it possible for the employer to dismiss me without breaching the contract.

There was no need for the employer to engage the disciplinary procedure (which can be demonstrated to be contractual) and then not follow the disciplinary procedure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did all this happen in 2012?

If so, why are you posting it now?

I am posting it now after having tried to take the supermarket to court for breach of contract. This all took a very long time.

Unfortunately my case was only lacking in proving that I suffered damages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is manifestly obvious that you would have suffered financially by being dismissed but your 'case' was lacking because an employer can pretty much dismiss you on a whim until statutory rights kick in.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member

And if an employee is sacked for challenging a loss of Statutory Rights within the 2 year period. All moot anyway as cases are meant to be made within 3 months of dismissal.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Supermarket!
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am posting it now after having tried to take the supermarket to court for breach of contract. This all took a very long time.

What exactly were you sacked for?

You were there three weeks which is hardly time to do anything wrong surely.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judging by that video (which held my attention for all of five seconds), he was sacked for being interminably boring :)
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So was your attendance and time keeping crap then? Cos really, if it was in the first couple of weeks when most people would be trying to make a good impression, I'm not surprised they got rid. I certainly would have.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you keep up your end of the contract? by which we'll assume you turned up at the time required and and left after the due number of hours, people seem to think that contracts are one way but they bind both parties
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is in law.

You are both entitled to probationary period in which they evaluate you as an employee and you evaluate them as a employer.

They evaluated you, found you to be lacking, and took their legal right to end the contract in the probationary period and move on to find someone better.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Did you keep up your end of the contract? by which we'll assume you turned up at the time required and and left after the due number of hours, people seem to think that contracts are one way but they bind both parties

So true, plenty of people know their rights at work but forget that they also have responsibilities too. (ie turn up on time, don't leave early, don't abuse colleagues or customers, etc and so on)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    It is in law.

You are both entitled to probationary period in which they evaluate you as an employee and you evaluate them as a employer.

They evaluated you, found you to be lacking, and took their legal right to end the contract in the probationary period and move on to find someone better.
    There is no such thing as a 'probationary period' in statutory employment law.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it quite amusing that the OP was so unreliable he was binned in week 3, yet thinks he should be able to claim in court for unfair dismissal! :D
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the terms of the contract made it possible for the employer to dismiss me without breaching the contract.

There was no need for the employer to engage the disciplinary procedure (which can be demonstrated to be contractual) and then not follow the disciplinary procedure.

As an employee for a certain period of time you are on probation. During this time you can be dismissed for almost any reason, you have literally no rights to challenge them for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as a 'probationary period' in statutory employment law.

I agree that there is no legal right to one (on either side) or no strict definition on what one should be. However, the law does uphold such periods, if defined in contracts of employment (as long as they are fair).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    As an employee for a certain period of time you are on probation. During this time you can be dismissed for almost any reason, you have literally no rights to challenge them for it.

Not quite, you have the right to be treated fairly at all times, this can never be diminished by your contract. The main right you contract out of in a probationary period is the right to a period of notice.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people think of this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2FnsKL9MQ

I think you need to move on with your life. Life is too short for pettiness.