Options

Pirate Radio in Northern Ireland and ireland?

Mr Wi-FiMr Wi-Fi Posts: 237
Forum Member
is there any Pirate Radio in Belfast, Derry, Dublin, limerick, Cork
thanks for your feedback

Comments

• Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left Belfast many,many years ago.
    Back iin the 1960s recall there were pirate stations.
    Run by the IRA & the UVF.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    There's a handfull in Dublin and maybe 1or 2 in Cork. I don' t know if tthey're on on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Fred RickwoodFred Rickwood Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Wi-Fi wrote: »
    is there any Pirate Radio in Belfast, Derry, Dublin, limerick, Cork
    thanks for your feedback

Apart from Radio North (846khz) and Radio Star Country (981khz) there's pretty much nothing north of the border.

I gather TCR (Tyrone Community Radio) had applied for one of the long term community licences but was unsuccessful. I haven't heard it on air for a number of years.

The so called "border blasters" from "Alien Mountain" were closed by Ofcom/Comreg quite a few years back although, very occasionally, you hear something on 104.2.

I used to enjoy Energy AM from Dublin but I haven't heard that for some time now either.

I guess internet radio has replaced the pirates pretty much these days.
  • Options
    sparknetsparknet Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    I remembering hearing a brief comeback from kiss fm on 104 2 fm early last year. Think the were broadcasting from the newry area. Haven't Heared any pirate radio stations since then.
  • Options
    Fred RickwoodFred Rickwood Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparknet wrote: »
    I remembering hearing a brief comeback from kiss fm on 104 2 fm early last year. Think the were broadcasting from the newry area. Haven't Heared any pirate radio stations since then.

Yes, that was what I thought.

It is pretty dead round here.

LJ appears to have lost interest I suppose, and Ofcom really does clamp down on anything illegal these days.

I wonder if there's some sort of rig and mast still up at "Alien Mountain" ?

I used to enjoy Magic 105.1 which put a pretty good signal into Belfast.
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Used to listen to Chris Careys Radio Nova many years ago on AM in the evenings a great station. Whenever we were around north coast of UK used to listen all day in the car. Haven't found any Irish pirates for many years now not even when I've been in Dublin and County Cork areas.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Stations noted in Dublin over the last few months: Heat, Tonik, Liquid, Easy, Dance, NRG, Phever, NLR.
    One or more of these may be the same station operating under a new name.