Options

Can anyone tell me where the comments have gone on Digital Spy stories?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I enjoyed reading the comments on the articles. I don't like posting on showbiz, tv or music threads too often because some have a tendency to search your previous posts to pull you up on past comments. This hasn't happened to me so far but it puts me off posting on those forums. This wasn't the case in the comments.

I'm disappointed. Often the articles I'd want to comment on were also ones with no threads, so I guess I could start threads on these topics...but I more than likely won't.

The new site design is bad enough, but they also took away one of my favourite features. Not impressed at all.
  • Options
    bitebugbitebug Posts: 3,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Links on the black bar at the top are broken now too

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/

should be

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/

:mad:

I'll come back next year when Big Brother starts because this website is not user friendly at all.

Hopefully by then the numpties who run this site will have fixed things.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are a number of js errors caused by /js/rams.js, I have blocked it to help keep it stable.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bitebug wrote: »
    Links on the black bar at the top are broken now too

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/

should be

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/

:mad:

I'll come back next year when Big Brother starts because this website is not user friendly at all.

Hopefully by then the numpties who run this site will have fixed things.

Try this forum when its ready: http://discussionsspot.invisionzone.com/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Yes I agree, it's more fun when you can read a story and then scroll down to other people's take on it, there are times when I have returned to the same story a few times just to read more comments. I don't think I will bother with forums as much. Most sites allow comments nowadays, obviously this ones isn't interested. It just makes me go elsewhere more often now.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mixmas wrote: »
    Yes I agree, it's more fun when you can read a story and then scroll down to other people's take on it, there are times when I have returned to the same story a few times just to read more comments. I don't think I will bother with forums as much. Most sites allow comments nowadays, obviously this ones isn't interested. It just makes me go elsewhere more often now.

Yeah, that's the idiocy of this decision as many a time I have clicked on an article just to see what were people's views on it, but now as there's no comments then there's no point in me doing so. Perhaps DS want their page views to go down, who knows?
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd remove the "Everything you need to know about..." articles that contain nothing, but speculation and misinformation that's been floating around on other sites for months beforehand. It seems like the writer is trying to get an 'exclusive', but all they end up with is an article that's an 'exclusive' because it's just a list of all the speculation in one article.

This may be a reason they removed the comments too. Quite a lot of people were calling them out on certain articles for a number of reasons (a while ago I seem to remember one that was a complete lift off from a post on another forum, and it was swiftly removed), and quite rightly too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates the redesign. Screen real estate is taken up with 2, perhaps 3 headlines, whereas the old site showed 8-12, making a "quick browse" more of a chore. Without the comments section the site feels like every other generic showbiz site with average quality writers, no personality and not even the redeeming feature of an interesting and entertaining community to engage with. So what's the point?

Bad move DS, bad move :-( as if anyone is seriously going to read an article they'd like to comment on, head on over to the forums and scour it for a thread that might relate to that article, and then, if one doesn't exist, create one...

Plus, how are we supposed to provide feedback on grammatical errors or poorly written articles? It gave the writer chance to correct the error and erase the comment if need be :-)

Pfft, I'll go somewhere else if DS are really so content to distance themselves from their readers and customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't want to read a forum I want to read DS with comments under a story. But ok I accept defeat. You clearly won't miss how much I used to read DS but don't as much now. And you clearly can't understand what people are saying here so
    Thanks anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Comments have been disabled (at least temporarily, if there is a demand for them we will of course rethink). We're no longer allowed to use the word 'real estate' so will say that we're hoping the place that used to host comments will drive people to the appropriate forum in a future update to better interlink the two sites together, pushing more people to use the forums instead of sticking to articles.

Everyone that had a commenting account also has a forum account, so the transition should be a seamless one.

Thanks

Massive, massive, massive mistake. Comments were what often drew people to the articles. I know DS often got slated, but at least you speak your mind and could make a quick comment on a specific article exchanging views with others (freedom of speech remember!). Now you have to 'find' it in the forum, if it even exists. Poor decision, and along with the awful new layout and difficult to find news, it's just one more reason to leave DS.

I don't spend half as much time as I used to on DS now.
  • Options
    MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under each article they should put a link to the relevant forum. It would bring traffic to the forums and people could then discuss it together. Leaving no where for anyone to make a comment or remark and no link to where they can do so is frustrating to people.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MinnieMinz wrote: »
    Under each article they should put a link to the relevant forum. It would bring traffic to the forums and people could then discuss it together. Leaving no where for anyone to make a comment or remark and no link to where they can do so is frustrating to people.

With the broken search though how can one find the appropriate discussion on the forums? Or even know if one exists?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I only come to this site to see if its changed back to normal
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    It's strange how the DS news site has got rid of comments, allegedly to drive people to use the forums more, but they never link to the forums or quotes what people post on the forums...a lot of their articles are on how twitter reacted and quotes from Twitter...when people complain the site is now difficult to navigate, they're told to use links from the various DS Twitter accounts to find articles :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Oh dear. :blush:

Nevermind. I'm sure the powers-that-be at DS HQ know best... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ds is falling faster then xfactor comment section is what made it so popular
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Serves them right really. I don't know what they expected by doing this piece of crap re design? I've been on once or twice since the comments went, just tried to vote in the end of years soap poll but it's just so user unfriendly and all over the place that I gave up. Doubt I'll ever go back on the main page to be honest it's shite. They never ever listen to feedback and cram the place full of ads. Won't miss it unfortunately and I used to love this website. Clearly re moved the comments so people couldn't complain about the website

R.I.P DS, death by arrogance
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Comments have been disabled (at least temporarily, if there is a demand for them we will of course rethink). We're no longer allowed to use the word 'real estate' so will say that we're hoping the place that used to host comments will drive people to the appropriate forum in a future update to better interlink the two sites together, pushing more people to use the forums instead of sticking to articles.

Everyone that had a commenting account also has a forum account, so the transition should be a seamless one.

Thanks

Wouldn't it be a fairly straight forward thing to have an automated thread created by every story you post. This would be in a separate Forum called "DS Headlines" or something similar. Under every story on the main pages would be a link to the now newly posted thread so that people using the news section could comment directly whilst those using the site via the forums could dip into the "DS Headlines" section and see what everyone is talking about. Users could not create new threads in this section themselves but it could be divided by genre.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/digitalspy.com

They changed over the domains used / redirected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    huffpost allows you to post on news articles thats what I use now
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Avidian wrote: »

Hearst seems to have a bizarre obsession with BuzzFeed. That is who they were trying to copy during the last update: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/dec/01/digital-spy-entertainment-technology-revamp

And that latest article shows that they dropped 9 million unique a month after that change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    the comments were one of the main reasons i came to ds. Now the landing screen is awful - its just not easy to navigate. Come on DS im gonna leave if its not rectified, because the comments section was a gem.