Options

Panasonic DMP-UB900B UHD Bluray player

Available shortly, word is April. Cost £599, prices will no doubt vary and drop pretty quick.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/blu-ray-and-dvd/dmp-ub900eb.html

My order is already in. :D

Titles already available.

http://www.zavvi.com/elysium.search?search=4k+ultra+hd

First purchase will be The Revenant.

More 4k titles info......

http://www.blu-ray.com/4k/

Is anyone else interested?

Comments

• Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the quality jump between Blu-ray and 4k UHD Blu-ray is that much of a jump to justify the costs for the average home user.

A good quality Blu-ray i.e Life of Pi already looks stunning on my 55" Sony so why should I upgrade again with all the associated cost.

I've noticed some of the 4K disks on the link at Zavvi aren't actually UHD Blu-rays, just normal Blu-rays mastered of a 4K source, bit cheeky if you ask me.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    paulj48 wrote: »
    I don't think the quality jump between Blu-ray and 4k UHD Blu-ray is that much of a jump to justify the costs for the average home user.

A good quality Blu-ray i.e Life of Pi already looks stunning on my 55" Sony so why should I upgrade again with all the associated cost.

I've noticed some of the 4K disks on the link at Zavvi aren't actually UHD Blu-rays, just normal Blu-rays mastered of a 4K source, bit cheeky if you ask me.

Definitely a format for the enthusiast. I've a close friend who's in the trade and was at the Panasonic convention in Germany and was lucky enough to see 4k UHD Bluray in action, by all accounts it was absolutely stunning, I can't wait.

If you are happy with your current equipment there no real need to upgrade. I've already got a 4k TV and a 4k PJ on order, so naturally 4k UHD is on my radar.

Those 4k remastered Bluray's have been out a while, could be confusing for some, especially if they misread the covers .
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference between genuine 4K and HD upscaled to 4K on the size of screen the public wants in their home will be the make or break point for the system. At the present time large numbers of old films are still only available in DVD format of course.
  • Options
    webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even some of the 4k UHD disks are mastered from a 2k source albeit upscaled through expensive equipment!
  • Options
    Brian33Brian33 Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I'm in. I like Panasonic and this looks great. I've had a Panasonic Freeview hd pvr bluray recorder for a few years now and it's a great piece of kit. This will be my next upgrade along with a uhd oled tv. I did look at Samsung's player but was completely put off by the curved design.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    webbie wrote: »
    Even some of the 4k UHD disks are mastered from a 2k source albeit upscaled through expensive equipment!

Until quite recently nearly all feature films were mastered in 2K, look up your favourites on IMDb. And no they won't be remastered in 4K, just upscaled, perhaps noticeably better than your TV's upscaling, perhaps not.