Options

BT Infinity 1 Going Up To 52mbps

pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,978
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just had an email indicating that BT Infinity 1 will be increasing the 'up to' speed from 38mbps to 52mbps, making it the fastest standard fibre speeds in the country at 52mbps.

Does anyone else know about the changes and if they are going to increase Infinity 2 speeds beyond 76mbps?

Comments

• Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT Wholesale / Openreach created a 52Mbps product for ISPs - 52Mbps probably reflects the average FTTC connection speed, so cost-conscious ISPs can shave a few pence per month off of each of their users compared to upgrading them to 76Mbps. BT retail seems to be taking this up.

As for going beyond 76Mbps, BT has not said anything about doing it with the existing crappy FTTC network - it seems that they are far more interested in pushing G.Fast (so you'll be in for a very long wait, and hoping that they put the equipment on your telegraph pole / pit)

If you are one of the lucky few who can get BT FTTP today, meanwhile, you can have 200 or 300Mbps if you want it
  • Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting if true, though i've yet to have such an email myself.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,752
    Forum Member
    I got 67Mbps on speed test before the Infinity 1 cap was applied so I hope to see this happen for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrMick wrote: »
    Interesting if true, though i've yet to have such an email myself.

This is part of the email I have just received

"BT Broadband will be making some portfolio changes as from tomorrow:

To summarise the key points;

1. They are going to be emphasising “smarter broadband” which will be supported in both below the line and above the line comms. This is made up of
    a. Faster connections – BT will have the fastest standard fibre speeds in the country at 52mb
    b. Better connected through their extensive 5million Wi-Fi hotspots
    c. Safer as standard – with BT Protect or BT Protect plus, parental controls and cloud storage to keep your photos and files safe (note some of the increases in cloud storage too!)
    d. Reliable – through both their most reliable connection via the BT home hub"
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is part of the email I have just received

"BT Broadband will be making some portfolio changes as from tomorrow:

To summarise the key points;

1. They are going to be emphasising “smarter broadband” which will be supported in both below the line and above the line comms. This is made up of
    a. Faster connections – BT will have the fastest standard fibre speeds in the country at 52mb
    b. Better connected through their extensive 5million Wi-Fi hotspots
    c. Safer as standard – with BT Protect or BT Protect plus, parental controls and cloud storage to keep your photos and files safe (note some of the increases in cloud storage too!)
    d. Reliable – through both their most reliable connection via the BT home hub"

e. With all these great extra benefits, we are pleased to inform you of our super new price increases later in the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds about right lol
  • Options
    toonKevtoonKev Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I'm on infinity 2 and don't get much better speed than that.
  • Options
    philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,184
    Forum Member
    my speed going up?.... cool
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if this is correct this will defo make me decide to stick with BT as had my infinity 1 for a year now but was thinking about moving due to cost but one thing I like about BT is all the wifi spots it has to.
    I am right next to my green box so would see the full speed. :)
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,579
    Forum Member
    They would need to lower the price differential between Infinity 1 and 2 otherwise many people who don't need the faster uploads of 2 will just drop to 1.

EDIT

Have just seen the updated BT Wholesale price list for Service providers, this adds a "55Mbps downstream, 10Mbps upstream" option to their FTTC products from today (14th.).

Their 40Mbps down/2Mbps up; and 40Mbps/10Mbps up products are unchanged, as is the 80Mbps down/20Mbps up product (i.e. BT's Infinity 2).

It would allow BT Retail charge a higher price for the 55Mbps (advertised at "up to 52 Mbps" I guess) and drop the 40Mbps option, it may also allow them to provide more headroom for lower tier BT TV cutomers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've always seen just above what I should be getting, so will be getting the full speed. Only place I find there isn't as many BT hotspots is in areas that have had fast cable speeds first, and BT are only just rolling out Infinity (Swansea!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Infinity 1 now being advertised on BT's website as 'up to 52mbps' :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Media embargo has now lapsed:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7397-bt-infinity-1-to-now-offer-up-to-52-mbps-speeds.html

Logical move, for bragging rights and BT TV purposes. Existing Infinity 1 customers will have to recontract to get it (no surprise there then) but maybe BT TV or UHD subscribers will get a free upgrade, that would make sense.

• Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Media embargo has now lapsed:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7397-bt-infinity-1-to-now-offer-up-to-52-mbps-speeds.html

Logical move, for bragging rights and BT TV purposes. Existing Infinity 1 customers will have to recontract to get it (no surprise there then) but maybe BT TV or UHD subscribers will get a free upgrade, that would make sense.

Does BT ever offer its existing customers anything that doesn't require them committing to another new minimum term 12 month contract? With the exception of price rises, almost everything BT has to offer locks you in again to a new term.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, that's BT for you! Here's the official press release... I must have a read...

http://www.btplc.com/news/index.cfm#/pressreleases/new-bt-infinity-1-service-offering-speeds-of-up-52mbps-1372816

Nope, doesn't clarify things much. Wishy-washy. And of course, any other FTTC provider can now do the same thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's going to cost me 45p extra to re contract. Considering I have just paid my line saver rental fo 12 months, the contract issue isn't too much of a problem for me.

Just re contracted. I was getting 37mbps and the BT email seems promising?

Your broadband will start by midnight on: 18 Apr 2016

How fast will it be?
    We estimate your download speed will be between 54Mb and 55Mb, and your upload speed will be between 9Mb and 10Mb.
    The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 46Mb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Yep, that's BT for you! Here's the official press release... I must have a read...

Yeah recontract must appear at the top of the BT mission statement. It's at the heart of everything they do.
  • Options
    WhoAteMeDinnerWhoAteMeDinner Posts: 4,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, then there is actually one thing in Ireland that is better than in Britain.
    Virgin Media Ireland (was UPC up until six months ago) provide 125 mbps up to 360 mbps depending on the package you buy.

In reality it is a bit slower than that mostly, but my 125 mbps pack is currently running at 80 mbps just for reference, makes watching TV online easy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's going to cost me 45p extra to re contract. Considering I have just paid my line saver rental fo 12 months, the contract issue isn't too much of a problem for me.

Just re contracted. I was getting 37mbps and the BT email seems promising?

Your broadband will start by midnight on: 18 Apr 2016

How fast will it be?
    We estimate your download speed will be between 54Mb and 55Mb, and your upload speed will be between 9Mb and 10Mb.
    The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 46Mb.

Yeah it's a no-brainer if you were already committed to staying for another 12 months anyway, as you obviously are paying the non-refundable line rental saver for a full year. Looks like a great deal for you. :)
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on Infinity 2 and get speeds of near 66mb 97% of the time. I have seen speeds of just over 68mb when doing a speed test but that don't happen very offen.
    I also have BT TV.
    Would be good if BT was also to improve Infinity 2 over time.

Darren
  • Options
    daleski75daleski75 Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Does BT ever offer its existing customers anything that doesn't require them committing to another new minimum term 12 month contract? With the exception of price rises, almost everything BT has to offer locks you in again to a new term.

You would hope so but it looks like it's a brand new 12 month contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also noticed a price reduction on Infinity 3 and 4 (I live in an FTTP area). Not sure if that's true or some sort of mistake on the website..

Infinity 3 is at £25

Infinity 4 is at £30
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, then there is actually one thing in Ireland that is better than in Britain.
    Virgin Media Ireland (was UPC up until six months ago) provide 125 mbps up to 360 mbps depending on the package you buy.

In reality it is a bit slower than that mostly, but my 125 mbps pack is currently running at 80 mbps just for reference, makes watching TV online easy.

That's because they're a cable company with a different type of network, you'd be better off comparing them to Virgin Media UK.

BT and "eir" are the correct counterparts to compare
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell this is fantastic news for me. I go over to BT infinity 1 from April 25th. Moving from sky so this would be Fab.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daleski75 wrote: »
    You would hope so but it looks like it's a brand new 12 month contract.

Yes and an activation fee!

Not helpful phoning 150 trying to get an answer on this - the advisor I just spoke to had no idea and sad "i'm not sure we can sell this" then I get put on hold and get an answer "there is an activation fee of £49" ..... say whaaaaaat?

Not happy with that answer at all