Options

Boris Johnson demands Turkey be allowed to join EU

i4ui4u Posts: 55,152
Forum Member
Interesting video of Boris arguing if Turkey is kept out of the EU it sends out the worst possible message to moderate Muslims. He talks of when that 'great moment comes' when the Roman empire is re-united in a expanded EU.

On a website totally opposed to Turkey joining the EU, until recently Boris Johnson was seen as being at the forefront championing Turkey's membership of the EU.

It does make Boris look like an opportunist seeking to reside at Number 10 or does he see the British public as turkeys willing to vote for Christmas?

Comments

• Options
    Lily LayfieldLily Layfield Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boris has only ever been after the top job. This entire referendum has been awful and a new low for politics all round. Just a bunch of self serving liars will do and say anything to get into power.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    His inconsistencies are beyond normal and reek of shallow opportunism.
    Not to be trusted.
  • Options
    Lily LayfieldLily Layfield Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to be trusted.
    Boris is clever he hides behind the buffoon image. This is the man who said people should pay to use the NHS.

I hope in the end after all this its May who ends up as PM and not him.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Remain campaign either keeps wheeling out famous people to tell the public to vote Remain, or there is an effort to undermine noted Leave campaign figures.

This has been a mistake of the Remain campaign all along, it comes from a basic lack of respect for the public. The idea that people can't think for themselves is what the EU is all about.

But it doesn't matter what some famous guy thinks.
    Those going for Remain are doing it because of their own views, those going for Leave are also doing it for their own views.
  • Options
    David_ElsonDavid_Elson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the source of the clip in the OP?

Is this an excerpt from "Boris Johnson and The Dream of Rome" starring Boris Johnson in a made for T.V. history produced in 2006, in which Boris was flogging his book "The Dream of Rome" that concluded the EU had failed to reproduce the Roman Empire?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Boris is clever he hides behind the buffoon image. This is the man who said people should pay to use the NHS.

I recall as far back as 2001 Michael Portillo saying on BBC This Week politics discussion show that Boris is very ambitious and desired the top job and his eccentric scatty persona was a calculated and cultivated act
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall as far back as 2001 Michael Portillo saying on BBC This Week politics discussion show that Boris is very ambitious and desired the top job and his eccentric scatty persona was a calculated and cultivated act

This Week began in 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Week_(BBC_TV_series)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »

I stand corrected as it was after Boris Johnson wrote an article insulting and demeaning to the people of Merseyside and was made to go there and apologise by then Tory leader Michael Howard which was after 2001.
  • Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnson will say anything and insult anybody to try and curry favour with the masses. He is not an historian, just an empty-headed windbag with delusions of grandeur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Johnson will say anything and insult anybody to try and curry favour with the masses. He is not an historian, just an empty-headed windbag with delusions of grandeur.

Damned right! He's a rabble rouser who well spoken which can serve to disguise or deceive people
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK well at least this is a bit more recent than the 2003 parliament speech people were waving about previously, though 2010 isn't exactly yesterday either. What was the date of the 'pint at the riverside' video?

If we're going to discount someone because of what they said several years ago, should we not also discount everybody else who's had a miraculous conversion during that time? There's been a few just in the last month, surely we should ignore them too...?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boris says whatever his audience wants to hear just like another politician with dodgy blond hair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Boris says whatever his audience wants to hear just like another politician with dodgy blond hair.

Brexiter Nadine Dorries? Brexiter Esther McVey?
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,152
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    The Remain campaign either keeps wheeling out famous people to tell the public to vote Remain, or there is an effort to undermine noted Leave campaign figures.

Boris is not some dumb dyed blonde celeb, he is the political face of the official leave campaign.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Boris is not some dumb dyed blonde celeb, he is the political face of the official leave campaign.

...that no one cares about.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I shook hands with him, I would count my fingers afterwards. Not that it would eve happen.

More likely to pour a pint of something over his ugly head.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not to be trusted.

Unlike Corbyn who is less than convincing as a remainer.

I wonder what's in it for him?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike Corbyn who is less than convincing as a remainer.

I wonder what's in it for him?

Why bring up Corbyn who has been, at best, a sideshow especially in a thread about Boris who changes his mind more often than he changes his underwear.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13 years ago and 6. Boris was but a nipper.
  • Options
    KiteviewKiteview Posts: 9,246
    Forum Member
    So, the Leave campaign doesn't even agree about whether Turkey should be allowed to join?

I'd like to say I am surprised but I suspect they'd happily flip-flop on any issue if they can persuade a voter by doing so.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I came to the conclusion early on that Boris's buffoonery was finally honed.

I had also half expected him to have staged a wee defection in this last week, if he thought that the wind was blowing in Remain's direction in the Tory Party, It clearly isn't so I am no longer expecting it,
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiteview wrote: »
    So, the Leave campaign doesn't even agree about whether Turkey should be allowed to join?

I'd like to say I am surprised but I suspect they'd happily flip-flop on any issue if they can persuade a voter by doing so.

The Leave campaign doesn't have to agree on anything other than the importance of getting the UK out of the EU,
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiteview wrote: »

13 and 6 years ago was a very long time ago as far as Turkey is concerned. At that time Erdogan was still playing nice guy. Since then he's pretty much made clear he's going to turn Turkey into an authoritarian Islamic state.