Options

iPhone 7 will have things you can't live without says Tim Cook

Comments

• Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Yea but at 56 that's pretty much all you have got left to look forward to. :p

P.S. I'm older than that.

:D:D:D:D

Good answer ! only young yet but may be around to see i phone 8 age permitting.:p
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,606
    Forum Member
    I think even you have to admit that the halcyon days of rabid Apple fans camping out for days on end before an iPhone launch outside their nearest Apple store are long gone. Whilst there is still some hype the launches are far more low key these days.

The fact Apple started allowing a system of reserving for store pick up on launch day probably had a big effect on people queuing.

Why would you queue when you can have a reserved handset waiting for you in a chosen hour slot on the launch day?
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »
    The fact Apple started allowing a system of reserving for store pick up on launch day probably had a big effect on people queuing.

Why would you queue when you can have a reserved handset waiting for you in a chosen hour slot on the launch day?

A bigger problem was that so many people in the queue were being paid (peanuts) to be there on behalf of more organised groups quickly exporting the phones for sale elsewhere.

For example, Regent Street where a good percentage of people were buying for a Russian gang who would presumably have them back in Russia for sale at a hefty profit within 24-48 hours.

I think when people inevitably went to the lines to interview people in the queue, it became somewhat embarrassing. Also when you had people queuing to get a new iPad, which they'd already bought from PC World at midnight, and were clearly just in the queue for the fame.

Sure you get treated like a God, but in many cases you can just skip queuing half the night and buy from John Lewis, Currys PC World or a retailer. Sort of kills things as you're not always getting a product any earlier.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said it before and I will say it again... I think the best iphone ever made was the iPhone 4s in piano black. It's got looks, it's weighty and the perfect size for a phone. The newer iPhones maybe a bit smarter and quicker but do not have the premium feel of the 4s. In years to come I reckon this model will be the one that will be sought after most.

That was my previous iPhone. I bought the iPhone 6s Plus outright and just pay for my minutes, texts and data now. When I placed my 4s next to the 6s plus it made the 4s look even smaller!

I was due for an upgrade anyway and you can barely tell what phone I have because the newer iphones look similar in design to the Samsung designs. At first glance you'd think I have a Samsung phone now.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I've said it before and I will say it again... I think the best iphone ever made was the iPhone 4s in piano black. It's got looks, it's weighty and the perfect size for a phone. The newer iPhones maybe a bit smarter and quicker but do not have the premium feel of the 4s. In years to come I reckon this model will be the one that will be sought after most.

Mine is sat in it's original box still looking premium. Trouble is when you are getting more mature (as I am) the old peepers find the 4s a bit of a squinters phone now, plus it's very slow with iOS 8. :(
  • Options
    Jimmy_CarterJimmy_Carter Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is sat in it's original box still looking premium. Trouble is when you are getting more mature (as I am) the old peepers find the 4s a bit of a squinters phone now, plus it's very slow with iOS 8. :(
    Yes I am struggling with the old eyes myself.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    It sounds like the new iPhone is going to have a lot of great things, just like Tim Cook promised us. Incredible new camera technology, the amazing new display tech from the iPad Pro with HDR, CPU and graphics performance 50% faster than the current flagships, improved audio, water resistance, and 256GB storage options. The only thing that has changed is everything yet again.

I'm upgrading if even half of the above is true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    It sounds like the new iPhone is going to have a lot of great things, just like Tim Cook promised us. Incredible new camera technology, the amazing new display tech from the iPad Pro with HDR, CPU and graphics performance 50% faster than the current flagships, improved audio, water resistance, and 256GB storage options. The only thing that has changed is everything yet again.

I hope Tim doesn't let you down, although I'm sure if he just re-releases the iPhone 6 with a different shaped home key you'd be happy!
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I hope Tim doesn't let you down, although I'm sure if he just re-releases the iPhone 6 with a different shaped home key you'd be happy!

There will be no home button next year. He will spontaneously combust. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be no home button next year. He'll be apoplectic. :D

Is that when everyone admits that a physical home key wasn't/isn't necessary after all?

Of course not, as most Android phones (except Samsung of course, because it has to copy Apple) got rid of physical buttons years ago.

Rest assured if Apple is going down the dual camera route, next year Samsung will (as Huawei already did, and LG). Then if the home key goes, so it will from Samsung products.

I am amazed at my psychic powers!
  • Options
    bikerladbikerlad Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also predict I'll see a hilarious youtube video where someone shows off an old iphone claiming it's the new one and the crowd being amazed at how great it looks.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No, I've skipped a fair few generations. But the last two iPhones have been incredible updates packed with innovation. I'm expecting to be buying my third iPhone in three years. But if it sucks, I won't buy!
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    No, I've skipped a fair few generations. But the last two iPhones have been incredible updates packed with innovation. I'm expecting to be buying my third iPhone in three years. But if it sucks, I won't buy!

What innovation?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Everything? Are you sure about that?

Incredible new camera technology:- Been done several times already. Nothing new.

The amazing new display tech from the iPad Pro with HDR:- Won't happen. Will be the same display as the 6S and 6S+. Nothing wrong with that as the displays are fine. Not the best, but decent enough.

CPU and graphics performance 50% faster than the current flagships:- 50% faster than Apples current flagships yes.

Improved audio:- Using Beats. Been done already with HTC.

Water resistance:- Old hat. I've been using water resistant Sony phones for years.

And 256GB storage options: Something Android phones have been capable of for a good while now.

So basically nothing has changed :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bikerlad wrote: »
    I also predict I'll see a hilarious youtube video where someone shows off an old iphone claiming it's the new one and the crowd being amazed at how great it looks.

Was that not an Android phone they did that with?
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Yes I am struggling with the old eyes myself.

This is what put me off the new SE i.e the small screen size. I love the design and I love the size. However, whilst I love the size, after having a play around with one in my local Apple store I had to be realistic.

Although I could see web pages quite clearly using the SE, when I ran the same web pages on a 6s and a 6s plus they were a whole lot easier to read on those phones than the SE. I have to admit to be disappointed.

I suppose it's okay for the young and virile chicken farmer Stereo Steve. :p
  • Options
    CheshireBumpkinCheshireBumpkin Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Satire, surely?! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Everything? Are you sure about that?

Incredible new camera technology:- Been done several times already. Nothing new.

The amazing new display tech from the iPad Pro with HDR:- Won't happen. Will be the same display as the 6S and 6S+. Nothing wrong with that as the displays are fine. Not the best, but decent enough.

CPU and graphics performance 50% faster than the current flagships:- 50% faster than Apples current flagships yes.

Improved audio:- Using Beats. Been done already with HTC.

Water resistance:- Old hat. I've been using water resistant Sony phones for years.

And 256GB storage options: Something Android phones have been capable of for a good while now.

So basically nothing has changed :D

True Tone display from iPad Pro is coming to the iPhone which is effectively HDR. No pointless 4K in a tiny display because Apple puts battery life above gimmicky spec sheet comparisons, But a wider colour gamut everyone can appreciate,

Dual lens camera plus vastly improved low light photography this will be the best camera in any smartphone.

The audio improvements have nothing to do with Beats. Apple is expected to refresh beats though with lightning connectors.

Yes some of the stuff on my list has been attempted by others, but with mixed results at best.

As far as I'm aware, nobody sells a phone with 256GB internal storage. Yes many phones you can add an SDHC card to give you an extra 200-256GB of storage, but not all phones support pooled storage. So adding in storage can get messy and come with limitations or hassles you'll never experience with an iPhone.

The iPhone 6s already smokes the Galaxy S7 in many real world tests. So add in another 50% boost in performance to the iPhone and you're looking at a spectacularly impressive device - potentially two generations ahead of Samsung,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satire, surely?! :D:D:D

Have you seen the posts about Sky Q?
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    True Tone display from iPad Pro is coming to the iPhone which is effectively HDR. No pointless 4K in a tiny display because Apple puts battery life above gimmicky spec sheet comparisons, But a wider colour gamut everyone can appreciate,

Dual lens camera plus vastly improved low light photography this will be the best camera in any smartphone.

The audio improvements have nothing to do with Beats. Apple is expected to refresh beats though with lightning connectors.

Yes some of the stuff on my list has been attempted by others, but with mixed results at best.

As far as I'm aware, nobody sells a phone with 256GB internal storage. Yes many phones you can add an SDHC card to give you an extra 200-256GB of storage, but not all phones support pooled storage. So adding in storage can get messy and come with limitations or hassles you'll never experience with an iPhone.

The iPhone 6s already smokes the Galaxy S7 in many real world tests. So add in another 50% boost in performance to the iPhone and you're looking at a spectacularly impressive device - potentially two generations ahead of Samsung,

What's it like in the hand sounds great from your description ... Fan much by any chance :)
  • Options
    CheshireBumpkinCheshireBumpkin Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you seen the posts about Sky Q?

Cripes, I've just had a look around. Do you mean this one:
    It is really impressive and exciting that Sky is building in all this technology to enhance both the Sky Q and Sky Broadband experience for customers. Sky is already the fastest fixed line broadband provider, but now they are making the networking in your home faster and smarter too. It's genius really.

They are really focused on taking Sky Broadband to the next level as well as reimagining the way we want to consume content in the modern age.

I'm excited to see the mobile products in the next year too. I'm sure they will seamlessly fit in with everything Sky is doing to create a focused experience for customers. It isn't just about making more money for Sky. They truly are building a unique digital experience that rewards its most loyal customers with fluidity across products and services like nobody else can provide. It's very Apple in the approach - and that's a good thing.

Is it just me or is all this PR-speak guff a bit creepy? Perhaps especially in relation to a phone that he hasn't seen in the flesh yet, had any insight of beyond leaks and rumours, and hasn't even been released at the time of writing...

@aurichie - are you Evan Blass in disguise, having just attended a PR Week training course? :p

PS: I think B4RN, Gigaclear, and even Virgin might have something to say about this gem:
    Sky is already the fastest fixed line broadband provider
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    What's it like in the hand sounds great from your description ... Fan much by any chance :)

No real change. The only downer for me is the design is going to stay pretty much the same for the third year running. The new colours that are expected doesn't do much for me by way of a compromise. But aside from design, Apple is going to improve everything else massively. It will be a huge upgrade no matter what iPhone you currently own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cripes, I've just had a look around. Do you mean this one:

Is it just me or is all this PR-speak guff a bit creepy? Perhaps especially in relation to a phone that he hasn't seen in the flesh yet, had any insight of beyond leaks and rumours, and hasn't even been released at the time of writing...

@aurichie - are you Evan Blass in disguise, having just attended a PR Week training course? :p

PS: I think B4RN, Gigaclear, and even Virgin might have something to say about this gem:

I'll be very surprised and disappointed if less than 80% of what I'm speculating on isn't announced on Wednesday. We'll see soon enough. Mark Gurman is usually very reliable with his sources.

And yes, Sky and Apple are two of the companies I love most. I think Sky Q shares a lot of the fine attention to detail that Apple puts into its products. Sky Q hardware is also beautifully designed.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So, like you say, nothing has changed and it's all been done before.

You cannot possibly say that apple will have the best camera on a phone yet when they never ever have had, and probably will not again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll be very surprised and disappointed if less than 80% of what I'm speculating on isn't announced on Wednesday. We'll see soon enough. Mark Gurman is usually very reliable with his sources.

And yes, Sky and Apple are two of the companies I love most. I think Sky Q shares a lot of the fine attention to detail that Apple puts into its products. Sky Q hardware is also beautifully designed.

I've had Sky Q since launch, and it's meh at best. Great idea, but shockingly put together.

When i can watch my content in Dolby Digital without sound dips every 5 seconds, then i may change my mind. When HDMI control works properly, again i may change my mind.

As it stands, the hardware yes, looks great. But it's a second rate product at best.