Options

iPhone 7 will have things you can't live without says Tim Cook

Comments

• Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has seen the Youtube 7plus v Note7 camera comparison. Was it Aurichie who claims the 7plus is the best camera ever? He needs to watch the comparison.

The 7plus does not manage to blow away the competition, far from it. In some areas the 7plus is better in others areas the Note 7 is better. The fact the 7plus second lens has no image stabilisation is not good at all IMO.

In fact I would go as far as to say the hype over the 7plus camera is just a gimmick to cover up for a lack of other advancements in this years model.

Sorry Apple I'm oot!

It's not better than the note 7. I had the S7 edge and I'm sorry to say but it blows my 7 plus out of the water in terms of camera. I'm going to wait until the note 7 is available again. i need a good camera in my phone as I have a 4 month old son and need to take lots of pics. The 7 plus isn't fitting the bill and the telephoto lens is useless as it doesn't have OIS. He moves around a lot!

I'll still keep my 7 plus though.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the working conditions of the assembly staff, the battery emissions, the air miles to transport the phones all over the world, the fuel to deliver them everywhere just for starters.

Its impossible to manufacture and distribute products without any environmental impact.

That certainly doesn't mean that a company can't do what it can to minimise the its environmental impact.

As far as I can tell, Apple probably do more than many companies in that respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope what i am saying which got rather lost is this.

1) Tim Cook says I Phone 7 is enviomentally friendly which means it can be reclycled in general.

2) Then they introduce a new feature which means more use of Batteries that need charging.

There should be understandable now.

I think we understand that much.

But don't see how the later somehow negates the former.

Would you say that you care at all about the environment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you on about?

I'm trying to establish why you would think that Apple, as a company, cannot possible care at all about the environment.

I am trying to understand why it is that you would think that any company interested in generating revenue and making a profit cannot also care about the environment, and make efforts, wherever practical, to minimise its impact on the environment.

Would you say that you care at all about the environment?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Its impossible to manufacture and distribute products without any environmental impact.

That certainly doesn't mean that a company can't do what it can to minimise the its environmental impact.

As far as I can tell, Apple probably do more than many companies in that respect.

My original point was in response to the poster referring to the environmental impact of the regular charging of the new AirPods in which I said I doubt consumers would be that concerned about considering the working conditions of factory workers in China, the constant phone updates which require transportation on trucks and planes around the world and other factors. If consumers were that concerned about environmental and other factors, they wouldn't be buying them so frequently in the first place.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple didn't care about the environment until it became an issue of ethics and customers started boycotting products.

Then when called out, it took action and has come a long way. But when you were once one of the worst, it isn't hard.

I don't expect all consumers to base their purchasing on ethical issues, or else there would be no Primark and we wouldn't fly often, if at all.

We all change our technology far too often and don't really care what happens to the old stuff. If we did, manufacturers would have to improve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My original point was in response to the poster referring to the environmental impact of the regular charging of the new AirPods in which I said I doubt consumers would be that concerned about considering the working conditions of factory workers in China, the constant phone updates which require transportation on trucks and planes around the world and other factors. If consumers were that concerned about environmental and other factors, they wouldn't be buying them so frequently in the first place.

I don't think its necessarily that simple. Different people will care to greater or lesser extents about environmental issues. Even if people do replace things more regularly than might be necessary, that doesn't mean they don't care at all.

Some people may, for example, not feel too bad about getting a new phone every two years if their phone is almost entirely recyclable.

Similarly, people who care about the environment and are obsessive about recycling, can't suddenly be accused of not caring about the environment because they fly off on a holiday once a year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I don't think its necessarily that simple. Different people will care to greater or lesser extents about environmental issues. Even if people do replace things more regularly than might be necessary, that doesn't mean they don't care at all.

Some people may, for example, not feel too bad about getting a new phone every two years if their phone is almost entirely recyclable.

Similarly, people who care about the environment and are obsessive about recycling, can't suddenly be accused of not caring about the environment because they fly off on a holiday once a year.

Getting back to my main point, people who buy Apple products so frequently couldn't give a toss about AirPods charging so frequently impacting the environment.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Apple didn't care about the environment until it became an issue of ethics and customers started boycotting products.

Then when called out, it took action and has come a long way. But when you were once one of the worst, it isn't hard.

I don't expect all consumers to base their purchasing on ethical issues, or else there would be no Primark and we wouldn't fly often, if at all.

We all change our technology far too often and don't really care what happens to the old stuff. If we did, manufacturers would have to improve.

Yes i agree i have a i phone 6 and intend to keep it for about three years in total probably 4 as long as it updates.

We do tend to change our technology far too often for sure.

And yes Apple had to respond to consumers on making their products more recycleable thats comsumer power if we choose to use it.
  • Options
    daveh75daveh75 Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »

Was it not the iPad Pro event where they had their environmental VP on stage boasting about their efforts, only to then have Schiller come out and shit all over it by condeming the fact that there are more than 0.5 Billion PCs that are over 5 years old still in use as sad
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I tell you something else where the new iPhone 7 plus did particularly badly on test and that was audio. Watch the comparison camera video and you will see what I mean.

HERE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tell you something else where the new iPhone 7 plus did particularly badly on test and that was audio. Watch the comparison camera video and you will see what I mean.

HERE

Videos and games played faster on the 7 Plus in that guys speed test.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not something I've ever considered when buying a phone?
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes i agree i have a i phone 6 and intend to keep it for about three years in total probably 4 as long as it updates.

We do tend to change our technology far too often for sure.

And yes Apple had to respond to consumers on making their products more recycleable thats comsumer power if we choose to use it.

Keeping a phone for 4 years is still approximately keeping it 0.00000009% of the age of the planet. 4 years ain't much (I'm just as guilty, for the record :( )
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Videos played faster?

Tell you what though. One review i saw of the camera doing video was awful. Picture was OK, but the audio was terrible. Very quiet.
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    As for the daft samsung reference to the battery, you know samsung don't make them right? Apple have had some phones explode due to dodgy batteries as well. And hell, even the headphones might explode. No one knows yet!

However, surely you agree the scale of the Samsung problem dwarfs any problems Apple have had with batteries. Just today I did an online check in for KLM from Rio where I am at the mo back home to the UK, and there were dire warnings about not using or charging Note 7s on board.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    tdenson wrote: »
    However, surely you agree the scale of the Samsung problem dwarfs any problems Apple have had with batteries. Just today I did an online check in for KLM from Rio where I am at the mo back home to the UK, and there were dire warnings about not using or charging Note 7s on board.

Oh of course. It's a huge issue. Yeah, i'm on a flight in a few weeks and to be honest, it is a worry since some people are completely ignoring this recall and still using them.

My issue is, he thinks apple (and Sky oddly!) are perfect, and completely ignores anyone who points out if apple have had either the same or similar issue!
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samsung did the right thing and while many people are gloating and saying the company will never recover (forgetting just how big Samsung is and all the things it does), I am sure that all the jokes will get tiresome soon and people will forgive in a few months - especially if Samsung cuts the price.

Is it affecting Galaxy S7 and S7e sales? The Note models never sold that well in the UK anyway, hence why the Note 5 never even came here at all.

I am not belittling the problem but anyone who uses the word explosion is showing total ignorance and probably needs to look the word up in a dictionary before posting any more jokes.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the chance to try an iPhone 7 that one of my work mates had. He rushed out to buy get one and said he was disappointed with it as he said it wasn't much different from the iPhone 6. From my brief look at it I felt that the screen colours looked a lot better. I've never been keen on iPhone screens. The home button is odd. The vibration feels like it's coming from the back of the phone and not so much from the button.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Oh of course. It's a huge issue. Yeah, i'm on a flight in a few weeks and to be honest, it is a worry since some people are completely ignoring this recall and still using them.

My issue is, he thinks apple (and Sky oddly!) are perfect, and completely ignores anyone who points out if apple have had either the same or similar issue!

Personally I think airlines should ban all Samsung phones until the company can categorically state that they have received back ALL phones prone to exploding. That would incentivise Samsung to do more to get customers to return their devices for replacements. And would eliminate the risk of a Samsung phone exploding mid-flight and bringing down a plane. It wouldn't be difficult to do this during the security process at airports.

Let's be honest, Samsung have been dragging their feet kicking and screaming. They tried a voluntary recall initially, they tried to downplay the risks by saying only 20 odd people had been affected by it (guess why - because including this number would make customers think the risks are tiny and it's not worth voluntarily returning for a replacement), they then wanted to push a 60% battery charge limit as a software fix, and only now authorities are involved they are going for a blanket mandatory recall. Even now, they are not doing a great deal to reach out to customers and get them to return their devices. Here's a suggestion - push out a software update to all devices that checks if it's vulnerable to exploding and then display an on-screen warning. I'd go one step further, shut them down permanently at the next dis-charge and force customers to return them.

Samsung are an absolute disgrace of a company. Anyone trying to claim they have behaved well through this entire fiasco of their own making is really taking the piss.
  • Options
    daveh75daveh75 Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »
    Personally I think airlines should ban all Samsung phones until the company can categorically state that they have received back ALL phones prone to exploding. That would incentivise Samsung to do more to get customers to return their devices for replacements. And would eliminate the risk of a Samsung phone exploding mid-flight and bringing down a plane. It wouldn't be difficult to do this during the security process at airports.

Let's be honest, Samsung have been dragging their feet kicking and screaming. They tried a voluntary recall initially, they tried to downplay the risks by saying only 20 odd people had been affected by it (guess why - because including this number would make customers think the risks are tiny and it's not worth voluntarily returning for a replacement), they then wanted to push a 60% battery charge limit as a software fix, and only now authorities are involved they are going for a blanket mandatory recall. Even now, they are not doing a great deal to reach out to customers and get them to return their devices. Here's a suggestion - push out a software update to all devices that checks if it's vulnerable to exploding and then display an on-screen warning. I'd go one step further, shut them down permanently at the next dis-charge and force customers to return them.

Samsung are an absolute disgrace of a company. Anyone trying to claim they have behaved well through this entire fiasco of their own making is really taking the piss.

And you should have been banned for being such a nauseating shill and troll by now...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got the chance to try an iPhone 7 that one of my work mates had. He rushed out to buy get one and said he was disappointed with it as he said it wasn't much different from the iPhone 6. From my brief look at it I felt that the screen colours looked a lot better. I've never been keen on iPhone screens. The home button is odd. The vibration feels like it's coming from the back of the phone and not so much from the button.

The display has been dramatically improved to make it more colour accurate. But changes like this most people don't really notice. I guess most people won't notice the dramatic improvements in performance either, but he should at least appreciate the super-long battery life made possible by the new chip design that is really intelligent in terms of switching you to high-performance when you need it, and then greater battery efficiency when you are doing more trivial stuff.
    daveh75 wrote: »
    And you should have been banned for being such a nauseating shill and troll by now...

You could just put me on your ignore list. You're added to mine now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually I think it's very sad that some people only feel able to validate their lives by the products they own. They somehow feel it gives them an air of superiority (quite false of course) and carte blanche to belittle those who are not so like minded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    aurichie wrote: »
    I guess most people won't notice the dramatic improvements in performance either, but he should at least appreciate the super-long battery life made possible by the new chip design that is really intelligent in terms of switching you to high-performance when you need it, and then greater battery efficiency when you are doing more trivial stuff.

Do you mean it might now be able to match the two day battery life that the Sony Xperia has had as standard for the last few years anyway? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you mean it might now be able to match the two day battery life that the Sony Xperia has had as standard for the last few years anyway? :o

10 hours use spread over 2 days is how they achieved that claim.

Both my iPhone 6s Plus and iPhone 7s Plus can go way beyond 10 hours use without a recharge. So using the Sony formula, yes easily two day battery life.

I should also point out I like Sony. A lot of us "Apple fans" have fond memories of Sony when they were at their best. I still buy their TV's, even though I've had problems with them, I buy some of their audio equipment, and I own a Sony DSLR. If Sony could make a great Android phone I'd buy it. But I end up with the ugly Nexus devices (soon to be Pixel) because that's the best way to experience and test Android that I need for my business.