Options

Shelley Duvall is in a dark place..mentally ill

2»

Comments

• Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know Shelley had been treated so badly during the making of The Shining. That's put a bit of dark cloud over the film now, which I usually enjoy. Anyway, hope she gets the help she needs.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to see Claire Rayner getting a shout out!

Damn, did I just show my age? :p
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I didn't know Shelley had been treated so badly during the making of The Shining. That's put a bit of dark cloud over the film now, which I usually enjoy. Anyway, hope she gets the help she needs.

After hearing about this I googled 'Shelly Duvall Stanley Kubrick' and some of the stuff I read was disgusting. She is not the only one he treated this way. There was an older actor in it (I don't know who it is as I have not seen the film) and apparently he made him do a scene over and over again until he was crying and begging to stop.
    EDIT: However she was treated by far the worst.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    After hearing about this I googled 'Shelly Duvall Stanley Kubrick' and some of the stuff I read was disgusting. She is not the only one he treated this way. There was an older actor in it (I don't know who it is as I have not seen the film) and apparently he made him do a scene over and over again until he was crying and begging to stop.
    EDIT: However she was treated by far the worst.

Erm a little known actor known as as jack Nicholson :p
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

IMO the whole film hinges on her performance. Forget Nicholson, its her reactions that give the film its real terror. (Similar with Veronica Cartwright in Alien, whom Ridley Scott played with - though not quite so extreme as Kubrick).

Lets hope that someone stands alongside her.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's quite common for directors to do that but when they cross the line, it becomes a problem

Tom Cruise ended up with stomach ulcers when him and Stanley did Eyes wide shut. One incident required Tom Cruise to do a scene when he walks through a door to be done 60 times. Some say Stanley's tough treatment to both Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman during that film was one factor in why they eventually split up.

Then there is the infamous story of Alfred Hitchcock and Tippi Hedren during the making The Birds.

And Lars Von Trier put Bjork through hell during Dancer In The Dark. She spent most of the time refusing to come on set, spitting at him and telling him she hated him. She refused to ever do a movie ever again after that.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    James Cameron's The Abyss was such a hard shoot that the cast and crew nicknamed it "The Abuse". Most of the people on the movie never worked with him again.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,346
    Forum Member
    The Dove wrote: »
    She's the complete opposite. A dedicated Scientologist, she disconnected from her family before her father's death and didn't even acknowledge the fact when her sister passed away.

If you want to know how Vivian would treat someone like Shelley Duvall then look up what happened to Lisa McPherson; Kubrick has also posted on her Twitter condemning psychiatric treatment and medication.

Indeed. I mean Kirstie Alley refused to guest star on Frasier because the character was a psychiatrist.

Scientology is bonkers.
  • Options
    brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See I'm a bit torn on this interview. Yes it was exploitative and obviously there was something in it for Dr Phil and the network (i.e. ratings). But then again you didn't see anybody else trying to help her.

I do wonder how much is outrage over the fact she's been exploited and how much is over the fact she's been exposed? I'm thinking maybe a little bit of both. A bit 'Catherine Zeta is a far more palatable face of mental illness thank you very much, we don't need to see THAT!!' There still is that culture where mental illness needs to be shut away and hidden like a dirty little secret. Particularly in a privileged world such as the entertainment business.

And that's the thing, the entertainment industry wasn't all that fussed about her illness while she was hidden away in Texas, a tv show exposes/exploits her and suddenly it's virtue signalling all over twitter.

I mean instead of boycotting Dr Phil, how about asking questions around how someone can get into such a state and feel that appearing on Doctor Phil is the only choice you have for help.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Erm a little known actor known as as jack Nicholson :p

Not Jack Nicholson. The actor was in his 70s at the time of filming this
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Jack Nicholson. The actor was in his 70s at the time of filming this

Was it the black guy Scatman Crothers? Just had a look and he was born in 1910. I don't think the guy who played Grady was that old. Unless it was someone who had a very brief part playing a ghost.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Was it the black guy Scatman Crothers? Just had a look and he was born in 1910. I don't think the guy who played Grady was that old. Unless it was someone who had a very brief part playing a ghost.

It was Scatman Crothers. This is from imdb.com
    Crothers had a tough time on "The Shining" with Stanley Kubrick making him do over 100 takes for one scene. Crothers' next film was Bronco Billy (1980), directed by Clint Eastwood who was famous for generally only going with one take. Crothers broke down in tears of gratitude on his first scene in the film when he realized he wouldn't have to do endless take after take again.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are saying she looks a mess and she is unrecognisable from The Shining in 1979.

I'll say that year again.

Who wouldn't look older in 40 years time??? :eek:

The thing is she is older, and isn't wearing make up and her hair and clothes are a mess but all these things can be put right.

Her mind is another thing. I got the vibe she is faking her mental illness to get publicity. Maybe get help and reboot her film career.

Sell a book. Do a DVD.

I am very cynical because it looked to me like she was acting in that interview with Dr. Phil.
  • Options
    digitalspyfan1digitalspyfan1 Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is dying relatively young such a bad thing? On the plus side you don't have to endure old age. I wonder what the younger Shelley Duvall would have thought had she seen herself now? Perhaps she'd feel a bit sad at how aging robbed her of her vitality. Her mind seems to have gone gaga too.

I suppose life is a gift but the wrapping paper can suck after a while.
  • Options
    Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    It was Scatman Crothers. This is from imdb.com

This^

The scene in question is the 5 minute Kitchen scene with him and Danny.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rKbtlodzCU

He also had to do 60+ takes on the scene where he's lying in bed watching tv.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZDfFtoObE

Here's footage of Kubrick and Shelley arguing on set.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5M_qt1gi2s

Great director but probably wouldn't have gotten away with giving Nicholson the same treatment.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what is this dark place, is it a victorian institution where the gas has run out
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor Phill show did do a little bit of good as the Actor's Fund are trying to get her some help

http://deadline.com/2016/11/shelley-duvall-dr-phil-actors-fund-help-1201858440/
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Her mind is another thing. I got the vibe she is faking her mental illness to get publicity. Maybe get help and reboot her film career.

Sell a book. Do a DVD.

I am very cynical because it looked to me like she was acting in that interview with Dr. Phil.

Oh please! Shelley Duvall has had documented mental health problems for years. A bit long to go on 'acting', don't you think? And anyone who could keep up such an 'act' for years could hardly be right in the head anyway.
    This happens to people. Famous and otherwise. And it's hell.
  • Options
    bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are saying she looks a mess and she is unrecognisable from The Shining in 1979.

I'll say that year again.

Who wouldn't look older in 40 years time??? :eek:

The thing is she is older, and isn't wearing make up and her hair and clothes are a mess but all these things can be put right.

Sell a book. Do a DVD.

I thought she was acting too but I'm not qualified to say. Mind you, neither is Dr Phil. I just have a feeling that there's a move to link anyone who has serious questions about government dealings/corporation cover ups to end up being associated with people who believe in shape shifters, alien abductions, the royal family being lizards, the earth having a roof and other bonkers stuff. It will make people think twice about questioning certain things out loud in case they are associated with all the bizarre stuff and thought to be in need of psychiatric help.

There just seems to be too much of it lately - people coming out with stuff that a lot of people are questioning i.e. the power and bias of main stream media (as stated by Donald Trump), the boycotting of musicians that don't play the game (as stated by Kanye West) and then throwing in bizarro stuff like Obama's birth cert, building a wall (Donald Trump) and JZ having hit men out to get him (Kanye). All very strange.
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lady was ill while filming the Shining, She is seen lying on the floor while Kubrick goes on shooting the film with Nicholson banging on a metal kitchen door, quite uncaring of Shelleys condition, whether Kubrick pushed her to her limits Im not sure but she didnt like working with him one bit