Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 32)

Comments

• Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    he will be just fine: the calls are filtered and overwhelmingly enginereed to favour him. I counted it once and it was something like 90% of the calls being supportive.

Do you work at LBC? You can't possibly know how they handle calls. Logically, his audience is more likely to consist of listeners who like him, who will call to speak to him.
  • Options
    tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you work at LBC? You can't possibly know how they handle calls. Logically, his audience is more likely to consist of listeners who like him, who will call to speak to him.

well my personal experience is that I tried to call 3 times, on separate occasions, and was never put through. On the first 2 I was calling from a US number and they never called back. I also tried email, twitter etc - never worked. I am certainly not the only one with a similar experience. I have given up now as I know the outcome.
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he will be just fine: the calls are filtered and overwhelmingly enginereed to favour him. I counted it once and it was something like 90% of the calls being supportive.

he gets annoyed at opposition when doing his show otherwise :

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/27/nigel-farage-lbc-phone-in-politics-sketch?CMP=share_btn_link

As i explained in an earlier post, there is no way to 100% filter calls. People can easily spin a load of lies to a producer and say something completely different on air.
    well my personal experience is that I tried to call 3 times, on separate occasions, and was never put through. On the first 2 I was calling from a US number and they never called back. I also tried email, twitter etc - never worked. I am certainly not the only one with a similar experience. I have given up now as I know the outcome.

A US number will straight away mean unless your call is amazing you won't be getting a call back. Transatlantic phone calls while fine for the average person are usually poor for broadcast. As well as this a presenter like Farage will generate a high volume of calls, this is great because as a producer you can choose the very best to go to air. On shows that receive less calls an average point may make it to air pretty much just to fill airtime, when you have a choice of very good calls it means you can be very picky and only choose people making a new point or with experience of the situation.

Your call history would also be looked at, if you've phoned LBC a lot in recent days or weeks you stand a lot less chance of getting on. If you've phoned perviously that day then you also stand a very slim chance of getting on. It can even be looked at if you've been on air with Nigel before, if you have again it makes your chances less. The other thing maybe that you have a warning or caution against your number, this can be for many reasons, anything from being abusive/swearing on air to having a poor line quality.

As I've said on a show like Nigel's there will be a high volume of calls probably in the region of 100 + an hour. Only around 15 people make it to air an hour so you do the maths a lot of people will not be called back.

I have certainly never known calls to be filtered to be more supportive of a presenter for a whole show, I've known at times for calls to be filtered to try and balance a debate but never to just support the presenters view.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone kindly tell me the exact day and time-slot Nudger Farage was on LBC over Christmas please?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Can someone kindly tell me the exact day and time-slot Nudger Farage was on LBC over Christmas please?.

I think it was Monday 1-3pm but can't swear to it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was Monday 1-3pm but can't swear to it!

Ta Gurney I is checking it out. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've checked out the Katie Hopkins slots for Farage but no luck, can anyone help by saying who he was covering for and when it was on?.
  • Options
    Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    .......Your call history would also be looked at, if you've phoned LBC a lot in recent days or weeks you stand a lot less chance of getting on. If you've phoned perviously that day then you also stand a very slim chance of getting on. It can even be looked at if you've been on air with Nigel before, if you have again it makes your chances less. The other thing maybe that you have a warning or caution against your number, this can be for many reasons, anything from being abusive/swearing on air to having a poor line quality.......

In your opinion, do you honestly think that all this highly complex analysis of the callers actually makes for a better output on LBC for the listener?

I can't help feeling that it does have the effect of making the production team feel smug and self-important, that they are performing a function that requires PhD in PhoneBOX call-handling or something.

Regarding line quality, it isn't working. The number of callers on naff obamaphones that I hear on LBC is a disgrace. Major fail that the producers don't identify those before putting callers on.

Otherwise they should just rack up the calls and let the people speak. Don't try to be a bunch of smart-alecs. Callers want to speak to the HOST. Don't ask them for an audition or a chuffin' dress-rehearsal. Many callers who would make the station sound more interesting and enjoyable get put off by the process.

Classic case of being too clever by half. No need to be so DOUR and no need to arrogantly LEAD Britain's conversation. What they should do is let it flow, because conversation works best (and sounds best) when it happens that way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've checked out the Katie Hopkins slots for Farage but no luck, can anyone help by saying who he was covering for and when it was on?.

It might be listed as Nick Ferrari. I think it was an interview - possibly - maybe....:confused:
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,623
    Forum Member

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/
    You be careful with your checking out Hopkins slots Bill;-)
    Saw this link in the politics forum but tbh haven't looked at it other than to get the time of his show.
    1 to 3pm on 26th which I think gs said.
    Anyways don't be wasting time rotting what's left of your grey matter with that guff and get out with the grandkids Much more fun!
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »

Your call history would also be looked at, if you've phoned LBC a lot in recent days or weeks you stand a lot less chance of getting on. If you've phoned perviously that day then you also stand a very slim chance of getting on. It can even be looked at if you've been on air with Nigel before, if you have again it makes your chances less.

Hi Radiodad, I know from before you know far more than me how radio production works but just a question I've highlighted is if that's the case how do Tony from Liverpool on NF, David from Exeter and Peter from (can't remember) on Nick Abbott et al get on a daily basis if that's the case. I'm not knocking them as they are pretty much always good callers but guess they are considered safe and reliable then...

I'm sure practice makes perfect and if we all called often enough we'd be ok too
    OT but had 2 tweets read out by James Max this morning anti Vic Beckham (funny how only 140 characters and still edited it to a couple of words.... :confused:)

& he tweeted me to call in.... I didn't... mind you if it had been the goddess Julia in whose slot he's in I would have been tempted just to talk to her luscious plummy tones *sigh* :D
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,623
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    Hi Radiodad, I know from before you know far more than how radio production works but just a question I've highlighted is if that's the case how do Tony from Liverpool, David from Exeter and Peter from (can't remember) et al get on a daily basis if that's the case. I'm not knocking them as they are pretty much always good callers but guess they are considered safe and reliable then...

I'm sure practice makes perfect and if we all called often enough we'd be ok too

That Tony from Liverpool is a regular caller to Talksport as well as lbc.
    Not sure that this nugget advances the talk but thought I'd throw it in anyway.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,169
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    Hi Radiodad, I know from before you know far more than me how radio production works but just a question I've highlighted is if that's the case how do Tony from Liverpool on NF, David from Exeter and Peter from (can't remember) on Nick Abbott et al get on a daily basis if that's the case. I'm not knocking them as they are pretty much always good callers but guess they are considered safe and reliable then...

OT but had 2 tweets read out by James Max this morning anti Vic Beckham (funny how only 140 characters and still edited it to a couple of words.... :confused: & he tweeted me to call in.... I didn't... mind you if it had been the goddess Julia in whose slot he's in I would have been tempted just to talk to her luscious plummy tones *sigh* :D

Those people are always ringing up
    Haven't heard from Irene from Enfield for a while though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have rung in once to Stig
    He was very nice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really pleased to hear Sybil (now of Streatham) this morning. One of Nick F's longtime callers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those people are always ringing up
    Haven't heard from Irene from Enfield for a while though

Which is what I mean if that's the case and radiodad knows why are they always being put on....

In other news I think Nigel was on Boxing day... it was pre recorded interview and whether you agree or like him I think it gives a good insight to the referendum and politics it's a good listen....
    I think all next week is wrong as I believe Ian back on Tuesday so effectively it is another one off show....

Fanny Allen was shocked today that he was only one on...all the others off till Tuesday....That's because he's terrified of being replaced...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    If I were you lordloz, I wouldn't bother to respond, it wastes positive energy.

Thanks Cayce, while it's a shame that we can't discuss which is the whole raison d'etre of the forum thread without petty insults and name calling I think you're right and time to push the "ignore" button..... as healthy chat doesn't seem possible with some frequent posters.

This was happening before and part of the reason I left last time, partly down to an individual some people seem want back (I don't)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blimey Irene has just been on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have not been aware of any petty insults or name calling
    But have to say I am getting irritated by these on going pops at people who are allegedly doing this
    It all reminds me of the playground in primary school
  • Options
    Wolfie SmithWolfie Smith Posts: 5,531
    Forum Member
    I find it rather odd that Katie Hopkins suffers all sorts of abuse for her views on Twitter and those who dislike her think this is acceptable, while even the mildest criticism of someone who is a self-styled member of the Metropolitan Elite such as Brian is considered almost hate speech. It's a strange contrast. I think Katie should be allowed her free speech unless she breaks the law and she is also there to be ridiculed for the same views. I enjoy her shows on LBC and think she has become relatively accomplished as a broadcaster in a short space of time.

I enjoyed Ian Payne yesterday - he is a steady hand on the Dale tlller (as it were) until the exceptional Mr Dale is back on air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I find it rather odd that Katie Hopkins suffers all sorts of abuse for her views on Twitter and those who dislike her think this is acceptable, while even the mildest criticism of someone who is a self-styled member of the Metropolitan Elite such as Brian is considered almost hate speech. It's a strange contrast. I think Katie should be allowed her free speech unless she breaks the law and she is also there to be ridiculed for the same views. I enjoy her shows on LBC and think she has become relatively accomplished as a broadcaster in a short space of time.

I enjoyed Ian Payne yesterday - he is a steady hand on the Dale tlller (as it were) until the exceptional Mr Dale is back on air.

I am not a fan of KH
    Infact I would rather she was not broadcasting anywhere
    There is a problem with personal and professional boindaries re her twitter activities

As she writes for the Mail
    Who advertise on LBC
    And her tweet about Carrie Fisher was an example of her stepping over the mark ..as i imagine it was not the view of LBC or the DM

She can say what she likes as long as it is legal of course , but on taste and sensitivity grounds it was un pleasant

My personal view is that she is a loathesome human being

I cant comment on the rest of your post as dont know what you are on about
  • Options
    LandisLandis Posts: 14,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Katy Hopkins is fair game. She is currently attacking migrants. She has not yet called them Cockroaches, but we are only 25 minutes in,

I think the wife of a presenter (and the 2 children sitting in rhe back) are not fair game. I may choose to point this out to both Wolfie and the new 3 Emoticon Cheerleader who is nodding enthusiastic approval.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    I think Katy Hopkins is fair game. She is currently attacking migrants. She has not yet called them Cockroaches, but we are only 25 minutes in,

I think the wife of a presenter (and the 2 children sitting in rhe back) are not fair game. I may choose to point this out to both Wolfie and the new 3 Emoticon Cheerleader who is nodding enthusiastic approval.

I have switched the readio off
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    In your opinion, do you honestly think that all this highly complex analysis of the callers actually makes for a better output on LBC for the listener?

If they let every caller on who rang in, you may get someone that can hardly string a sentence together properly, someone who is a racist (and would admit it to a producer), or even someone who comes on to say "Yeh, I agree with you" (end of conversation).

I think it is better that they attempt to screen the calls ... else you would have somebody like me ringing in :santahatdude:
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And her tweet about Carrie Fisher was an example of her stepping over the mark ..as i imagine it was not the view of LBC or the DM

Dare I say it. I agree with Katie.

I am afraid it is boring to have all or a substantial part of the programme dedicated to someone who has just died, whether it be Bowie, George Michael, Carrie Fisher, Debbie Reynolds (and unfortunately so many others this year). Everybody ringing in will say how wonderful the person is, and it is such a great loss. Very few, if any will be able to talk about them personally.

I am not saying ignore their death, but report it on the news, maybe bring in an entertainment correspondent on a programme, who can perhaps tell us more about the person that we didn't know, but to give over a whole bulletin or programme about someone who has just died is OTT as far as I'm concerned.
This discussion has been closed.