Options

Robin Banks - New Star Radio NE PD

Comments

• Options
    FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone here is a Yourmuze.FM member, please could you add the Star Radio NE stream to the database for me? Thx.
  • Options
    nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditchy is joining Star North East -- so he's the "awesome" signing Robin was alluding to on Facebook, the guy he's been trying to get for a while now:

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/04/ditchy-accepts-relegation-to-join-star/
  • Options
    6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Ditchy's Daily Dose?

Hirsty won't be impressed with that!
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    62 wrote: »
    Ditchy's Daily Dose?

Already responded ;)
    http://pic.twitter.com/p7T1nrPJd0
  • Options
    Radio SpyRadio Spy Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Does everything this man does have to be a rip off or a dig at somebody else?

Where is the originality?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Ditchy is joining Star North East -- so he's the "awesome" signing Robin was alluding to on Facebook, the guy he's been trying to get for a while now:

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/04/ditchy-accepts-relegation-to-join-star/

Believe me this isn't the awesome signing.

There is one more piece in the jigsaw but it's taking some time!
  • Options
    El CapitanoEl Capitano Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I've listened in to Star and can't really see how the music differs greatly from any other UKRD station. And how may times are they going to continue playing Sweet Child of Mine and Living On A Prayer on heavy rotation?!
    So much for a revolutionary new format, this is just a very narrow selection of rock hits bolted on to the existing UKRD playout. Safe and unadventurous, as is always the case with commercial radio these days.
    Also, like all UKRD stations, the ad breaks are far too long in duration and occur far too frequently, often after every two songs!
    Still, I'd rather listen to Star than Metro/Capital/Real/Smooth but compared to R1/R2/6 Music, these commercial stations are a vastly inferior listen.
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BruteForce wrote: »

What's the other big signing then? And when will it be revealed?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ditchy's Daily Dose?

I'm sure Robin finds this hilarious and so will all the people on here who think Robin is a radio genius, but to me this kind of "stunt" smacks of desperation.

Judging by his blog Ditchy doesn't really want to be at Star anyway, having his show named after someone else's successful show (I'm sure Ditchy had no say in this) must make him feel even better :rolleyes:

The next "big" signing will know doubt be an ex TFM presenter (or 2) who will never emulate the success they had on TFM and will leave 6 months later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder where he will put these other 2 people that are meant to be coming over from TFM, the only place really they could go is weekend afternoons, that are pre-recorded for 6 hours each day. I thought the presenters they have already will be enough to pay without adding more people to the schedules and making their costs grow even more. , for such a small scale station.
  • Options
    Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder what the strategy is here. Fact is Joe Public just don't care anymore, if they ever did in the first place.

Chances are, all these changes in format and presenter lineup will only alienate existing listeners and the numbers will fall.

The only benefit I can see is that the 'buzz' they are creating is the type of thing hat makes it easier.....if only temporarily so.........to get money out of local traders who are more susceptible to that kind of 'emotional sale'.

If any of this DOES make a positive difference to RAJAR beyond statistical variation I will delightedly hold my hand up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Interesting news I got back to today from radio today website, in an interview to Robin.

On your breakfast show you apparently went on and on about TFM ‘closing down’. Some people are saying you shouldn’t be promoting the competition. What do you say to them?

What I say to those people is 1. You probably didn’t hear it – and are reading things on the internet and Facebook about how terrible it is.

It’d be really easy of me to say we’ve won the battle and isn’t Star great – but no, I didn’t do that. Everybody in our market knows about the station so why not remember the great TFM as it was, and also tell my audience what’s happening instead of what Bauer seem to have done which is say they’ve done extensive market research within the TSA and created the new TFM.

Really? I’ve been in radio 30 years – you might as well put up a listener comment line. Tell us what you want from the radio station and we’ll do it when you know what your changes are going to be anyway.

And 2. I am the small guy at the small radio station in the market and if you think for one second I can’t mention my main competitor and give them a bit of stick on the radio for what they’ve done then you have zero clue about marketing, talk-ability and engaging and different radio. Everybody needs to know what Bauer have done. And that is they’ve made TFM a relay of Metro Radio. The whole reason for mentioning them was a) tell the audience what’s happening they think you’re stupid, and b) for Bauer to come clean saying they are relaying Metro Radio.

Have you seen their websites? They’re exactly the same! Either come clean or sell TFM to us. And this isn’t a PR stunt because we’ll buy it and either merge it into Star and be really open about what we’re doing or we’ll bring TFM back and it will remain TFM for Teesside and not TFM for Toon.

Ditchy starts next week. He blogged about joining you saying it was like going from the Premier League to Division One. How do you feel about that?

I’ve got to admit when I first read Ditchy’s blog I was a bit disheartended and had my head in my hands but you know something, what he’s saying is completly true and I can understand that. He has worked for the big radio stations and if you use the football analogy, he has worked at Key and City which he said are in the Premier League, Radio Aire in the Championship and to be honest this little radio station in Darlington serving the north east would be in league one if you use the football analogy.

Ditchy goes on in his blog to say that is in no way a critism of the radio station in size, it’s nowhere near the big boys, one day it hopes to be, but not yet.

So what he’s saying is actually true. I’ve been after Ditchy for ages, in fact I offered him a job at the radio station before I even started on December 17th 2012 and I’m delighted.

We may be as Ditchy puts it in League One but out of the speakers, we are the European champions!
  • Options
    Radio SpyRadio Spy Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    He's gone way down in my estimations over the last month.

This "interview" is sheer hypocrisy too. I've worked with him and know exactly what he thinks of the listeners.

He goes on about Bauer "coming clean". People in glass houses shouldn't be throwing stones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does he think of the listeners then......:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    So UKRD are saying they want to BUY Metro/TFM thingy.... WITH WHAT MONEY?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    So UKRD are saying they want to BUY Metro/TFM thingy.... WITH WHAT MONEY?

They are one of the few groups to report a profit. But, I agree with the view that this suggestion is a joke. UKRD will never get their hands on anything as prestigious as TFM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    yes, agreed Sean, they're group turnover will be less than the station they propose to buy. laughable really... lots of noise, no substance. there's a 7th core value, right there! maybe it can replace 'professional'
  • Options
    6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    All that may be so but I still applaud the principal he is highlighting, namely that a franchise should be made available to other operators before being, effectively, closed altogether.

That is, surely, the whole basis of the system of bidding for licences?

Talking of which, when is TFM's up for renewal? :confused:
  • Options
    El CapitanoEl Capitano Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    BruteForce wrote: »

This guy Ditchy seems to have worked at more radio stations than I've had hot dinners.

You can only conclude that his stint at Star will be short lived. Which is probably a good thing. A Chris Evans wannabe is a tiresome listen.

What happened to local lad Tom Davies, obviously not part of Banks' new masterplan?
  • Options
    Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All that may be so but I still applaud the principal he is highlighting, namely that a franchise should be made available to other operators before being, effectively, closed altogether.

That is, surely, the whole basis of the system of bidding for licences?

Talking of which, when is TFM's up for renewal? :confused:

Very true, effectively Bauer are saying they cant make the TFM franchise work...so maybe Bauer should sell it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This guy Ditchy seems to have worked at more radio stations than I've had hot dinners.

You can only conclude that his stint at Star will be short lived. Which is probably a good thing. A Chris Evans wannabe is a tiresome listen.

What happened to local lad Tom Davies, obviously not part of Banks' new masterplan?

I heard he got found out discussing Star's ideas with someone and Star (Robin) didn't like it , and he got peddled.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,418
    Forum Member
    Peace100 wrote: »
    Very true, effectively Bauer are saying they cant make the TFM franchise work...so maybe Bauer should sell it...

Yes but they have found a way to make it work.
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Ditchy has started then...rather underwhelmed.I wonder what is so special about him.:rolleyes::confused:.And they haven't even bothered to update the website.Maybe they are not expecting him to stay long.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they are just a bit slow to update these things on their website. He's only been on for 3.5 hours so far!!
  • Options
    Black LabelBlack Label Posts: 4,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Ditchy has started then...rather underwhelmed.I wonder what is so special about him.:rolleyes::confused:.And they haven't even bothered to update the website.Maybe they are not expecting him to stay long.:rolleyes:

Quite.

Wouldn't bet against his appearance being a mutually agreed publicity stunt with Robin 'sacking' him after just a week or so.