Options

Olympic heroes put Footballers to shame

Comments

• Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    yesman2012 wrote: »
    I have read up on a few articles, apparently the idea in cycling is that you and other bikers are supposed to help each other out? Each taking turns to ride at the front?

is this not right? :confused:

Did these 'few articles' explain why & how they help themselves by helping each other?

Here's the thread.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1704386

Read that, follow the link near the top of page 1, and read post #287 on the last page of the thread. It's all there laid out for you with some baiting going on for good measure.
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steviex wrote: »
    Next time we hear footballers (and their managers) complaining about having to play 2 or 3 games in a week, we should sit them down in a darkened room and replay footage of our Olympic athletes. :cool:
    Why ?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,660
    Forum Member
    I don't think players do but some managers can complain but then its usually the ones like Wenger who'd blame the weather and traffic for a poor performance if they could.

Do think in top level football there is more sour grapes after a defeat from those involved and the media themselves when a result doesn't go their way than in most sports.

Maybe that is due to the pressure of the money that can be earnt and lost with one kick.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    You wouldn't find a Olympic athlete falling out of a bar at 3.00 am.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,492
    Forum Member
    I went to a pre-season friendly last night between my team (Premier League) and a lesser Division team.

I found myself being slightly less than impressed by the players and their skills after watching the Olympic athletes and theirs.

The crowd were aplauding every time a player managed a tackle or to kick the ball to a fellow player. Wow!!

It's probably just a temporary disenchantment with football but footballers and their skills suddenly look very, very average to me.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Lets just enjoy the sporting SUCCESS of our British sportsmen and women for now.

People who want to follow football will do later and those that don't won't bother.

I must admit hopefully the media will give the various sports we have been successful at more coverage be it on TV/radio or in the press but its about supply and demand.

Football will still dominate the news coverage rightly or wrongly.

I'm a Rugby fan, been a season ticket holder for more years than I care to remember and for most fans of sports other than football this hits the nail on the head perfectly.

Of course football is the biggest sport in the UK, no question, however what annoys fans of other sports is that on the TV and radio the sports news consists almost entirely of football, to the virtual exclusion every other sport.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll second this.

I used to love the game but I can't watch it any more. I think what I hate more than the theatrical dives are the pundits who will invariably spout rubbish like "Ok, maybe he made a bit of a meal of it but there was contact." These Olympics have thrown these antics into sharp relief when you watch some of the things that happen in cycling, hockey and water polo to use just three examples. That crash in the triathlon cycling this morning made me wince so hard that I nearly pulled a muscle yet they both got up and carried on.

I can't understand why the governing bodies are so reluctant to do anything about it. If you speak to sports fans who don't like football, particularly in America, or disillusioned former football fan the first reason they tend to give when asked why they don't watch the game is "all the diving and play acting". Clamping down on these things would probably open the game up to even larger audiences without taking away anything that would be missed from the game for existing fans.

Good post. An athlete such as Mo Farah delivers more success for a fraction of what a top level footballer earns. I think football fans are ripped off big time. If they want to pay to see players diving about, moaning at the ref and time-wasting then that's up to them.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll second this.

I used to love the game but I can't watch it any more. I think what I hate more than the theatrical dives are the pundits who will invariably spout rubbish like "Ok, maybe he made a bit of a meal of it but there was contact." These Olympics have thrown these antics into sharp relief when you watch some of the things that happen in cycling, hockey and water polo to use just three examples. That crash in the triathlon cycling this morning made me wince so hard that I nearly pulled a muscle yet they both got up and carried on.

I can't understand why the governing bodies are so reluctant to do anything about it. If you speak to sports fans who don't like football, particularly in America, or disillusioned former football fan the first reason they tend to give when asked why they don't watch the game is "all the diving and play acting". Clamping down on these things would probably open the game up to even larger audiences without taking away anything that would be missed from the game for existing fans.

1) Because the governing bodies have traditionally been a bunch of amateurs?

2) Football is no longer a "sport"...it's a multi million pound business where a growing proportion of the British clubs are owned by foreign nationals who have zero interest in the development of young British players with skills or good attitude.

They'd rather import foreign "stars/nutters" who learn to dive before they learn to read because they think it will help buy a title.

3) Football is dominated by the Premier League whose first concern is its own interests...not that of the grassroots or national team...and that's only second to screwing the most money they can out of a foreign owned broadcast company.

4) And as long as supporters turn up, pay the ransom for tickets and buy the latest trash from the club shop, ignore the trashy behaviour of their "heroes"...nothing will change.
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why football is so popular really? it's not like we're paticularly good at football, england are lucky to get as far as the quarter finals in the world cup, these british athletes we've seen at the olympics are far superior.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe as a result of the Olympics the British public will re-evaluate its sporting allegiances and there will be surge of interest and participation in successful sports like cycling, rowing and athletics. Seeing all this, football realises it must focus on achievement at the level of national sides and its governing bodies undergo a shake up that results in a huge turnaround in the whole approach to the game and success at World Cups and European Championships follows.

Or perhaps, in a couple of weeks time everybody forgets about our Olympians and goes back to supporting a bunch of overpaid, underachieving Premiership prima donnas and the natural order is restored.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why football is so popular really? it's not like we're paticularly good at football, england are lucky to get as far as the quarter finals in the world cup, these british athletes we've seen at the olympics are far superior.

England aren't one of the very top teams but we are better than every one else and do not lose very often. Quarter finals tends to be our average achievement and when all things are taken into account that is about our level. Generally we beat those teams we are expected to beat and lose to those who you would expect us to lose to.

The problem with football is that all the money and power is held by the clubs. In athletics or rowing etc everything is geared towards the Olympic games but in football sadly, international competitions are an afterthought compared to the business that is club football.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tewkesbury wrote: »
    The problem with football is that all the money and power is held by the clubs. In athletics or rowing etc everything is geared towards the Olympic games but in football sadly, international competitions are an afterthought compared to the business that is club football.

That is certainly true in England, but it isn't the case elsewhere.

If the England football team ever want to seriously compete at the "business" end of major championships then this business model, and the priorities of the clubs, would need to fundamentally change, as it has in Germany for example, however that isn't in the owner's interest for that to happen so it never will.
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 133,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    Why ?

Read the title of this thread and some of the posts, and maybe a bit of thought from yourself....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4474660/Our-Olympic-heroes-have-humiliated-arrogant-footballers.html

Spot from the Best Football journalist around , and remember this is the guy who has done biographys on the Beatles, and the Glory game so think he should know ,
  • Options
    the chimpthe chimp Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steviex wrote: »
    Read the title of this thread and some of the posts, and maybe a bit of thought from yourself....:rolleyes:
    your post was pathetic at best, I asked you to justify your statement with a simple question, it seems you cant though, so decided to be snotty instead........ :rolleyes:
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is certainly true in England, but it isn't the case elsewhere.

If the England football team ever want to seriously compete at the "business" end of major championships then this business model, and the priorities of the clubs, would need to fundamentally change, as it has in Germany for example, however that isn't in the owner's interest for that to happen so it never will.

Most fans of premiership teams would rather their own team be successful England is not a priority, what's in it for premiership teams for England to do week?
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 133,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    the chimp wrote: »
    your post was pathetic at best, I asked you to justify your statement with a simple question, it seems you cant though, so decided to be snotty instead........ :rolleyes:

OK, it was not my intention to be "snotty".

I said this:

"Next time we hear footballers (and their managers) complaining about having to play 2 or 3 games in a week, we should sit them down in a darkened room and replay footage of our Olympic athletes"

Meaning they should watch the magnificent performances by our rowers, cyclists, athletes and tri-athletes (to name a few) before they moan about playing 2 or 3 games a week, which is what they are paid quite a lot to do and frequently fail to be successful.

Is that clear enough for you? (simple question and not the least bit snotty)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how this debate would go down in Spain whose football team has just won three international tournaments in a row. Their players are equally well paid, 2 clubs dominate and their players dive and play act even more than the English but it does not seem to stop them winning. Should the Spanish Olympians be forced to sit and watch the performance of their football team the next time they think about complaining.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »

Or perhaps, in a couple of weeks time everybody forgets about our Olympians and goes back to supporting a bunch of overpaid, underachieving Premiership prima donnas and the natural order is restored.

This 100%
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a Rugby fan, been a season ticket holder for more years than I care to remember and for most fans of sports other than football this hits the nail on the head perfectly.

Of course football is the biggest sport in the UK, no question, however what annoys fans of other sports is that on the TV and radio the sports news consists almost entirely of football, to the virtual exclusion every other sport.

You should listen to Talksport m8, Football barely gets a mention.:D
  • Options
    GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True - for what seems like weeks before the start of the season, Radio Scotland announces it as if it was the Second Coming.
  • Options
    nevadanevada Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it's the other way around.

Team GB are 3rd in the medal table.
    But England are 3rd in the football rankings, with no help needed from the other home nations.

Sir Chris Hoy? Should be Lord Downing.....

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=eng/ranking/gender=m/index.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Most fans of premiership teams would rather their own team be successful England is not a priority

That's the impression we get most of the time, but when England do lose (which isn't very often and usually only to a top class team) it is regarded as a national disgrace and we have threads like these wondering why our footballers are such losers compared to the Olympians or the rugby team or whichever other sport is doing well at the time.
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    After watching the usual pathetic no show of our so called Footballers in June what a pleasure it was on Saturday to watch unsung heroes like Jessica ennis, bradley wiggins , mo farah , and rutherford win Gold for britian and how they were cheerful and smiling afters and taking the congraulations of all around thats winners and losers and smiling in the interviews afters, not snarling dicating Questions , and generally not really wanting to talk , the likes of Ennis wiggins , might not be on the same money as the likes of Rooney, cole etc, but when it comes to personality and general attitude , they dont come anywhere near

I posted much the same comment on my FB page a few days ago, when the football was lost. The thing is the male football team don't NEED to try, they go home to their multi million pound mansions, ferraris and £80,000/ week without a care in the world, there is no motivation whatsoever
  • Options
    alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the engladn football team is overrated, we have NEVER made it past the quarter finals of teh EUFA football championship for 16 years! I don't know how we got to 3rd in the world, it was probably racking up wins against the lowliest of football teams, I can assure you when the next world cup rolls around, we will not be making it past the quarter finals, that's if we even make it that far, sure we can win against minor countries but the moment we come up against a competant team we fall flat on our faces.