Options

EE What a complete let down

Comments

• Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Maybe if you don't want to be let down you should just watch episodes instead of overloading on every single spoiler. I rarely read spoilers...i had no idea Stacy would be electrocuted, no idea who the guy with the key was and no idea it was supposedly billed as a "scary" episode.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I enjoyed it and the Mitchells have been getting on my nerves recently so I didn't think I would.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »
    Maybe if you don't want to be let down you should just watch episodes instead of overloading on every single spoiler. I rarely read spoilers...i had no idea Stacy would be electrocuted, no idea who the guy with the key was and no idea it was supposedly billed as a "scary" episode.

Yeh I don't get all these comments about "overhyped" either. Where was this hype meant to be coming from as I completely missed it? I watched the episode with no anticipation of anything 'big' was going to happen and I enjoyed it. Yes they had the spooky trailers but I still didn't think this was overhyping the episode either
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garyessex wrote: »

I think there's a lot of truth in that.
  • Options
    grangehilllovergrangehilllover Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed tonight's episode and I thought that it was more of a storytelling kind of episode instead of big huge white knuckle stunt sort of episode. I think these days, there is too much reliance on fires, car crashes etc. in soaps, so I think it's a good thing that there wasn't so much.of that. Plus, there were those small scary moments that built up the tension.

We now know Gavin is Sharon's father and we have to see that plays out. I doubt it will be happy for Sharon because of what Gavin did to Phil. I don't think that Kyle is Kat's other son because Kyle is transgender and the actor was a female who is now a male (and Riley Carter Millington is 10 years younger than Zoe Slater and MIchelle Ryan).
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I for one really enjoyed it. People complain about block storylines and then when all of a sudden you get an episode with loss of different strands, the same people complain.

We had:

Stacey / Kyle and the fact he had a key - something unexpected (in my view).

Stacey / Shabnam - the latter thinking her friend was about to lose her baby and the reminder of her recent loss.

Lee's depression - his actions nearly killing Stacey's baby and now further guilt. Although all is ok with the baby it will hit him hard.

Ronnie / Mick - we knew he'd pair up with her, but another storyline strand.

Gavin / Kathy / Ben / Phil drama.

Then finally, Gavin / Sharon - yes we'd predicted it months ago, but none of us knew it was revealed tonight and it was a fantastic way to do it.

My only complaint - why didn't anyone push the fireworks off the table or blow the flame out??!!
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the key linked to mental health?
  • Options
    wwinterjwwinterj Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most things that are hyped normally are a let down. This was no different.
  • Options
    scintillascintilla Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    I thought it was quite enjoyable. Gavin isn't scary in the slightest and he looks like he nicked Andy Warhol's wig, but the reveal with Sharon was as fun and camp as I hoped it would be and it's set some juicy stuff in motion.

The Stacey/Martin/Kush/Shabs group were a little more watchable than usual too and I liked Mick and Linda's scene where they discussed her rape.

It didn't make me jump or provide any frights put it passed the hour without me getting bored.
  • Options
    holidaynumptyholidaynumpty Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a good enough episode.
    But Kathy is doing my head in. I don't like the character and she's a bad actress.

I know its down to the script but if she was that scared then why was she out in the dark cleaning a window.
    And why didn't she just go whoosh at the lighter flame and take a punt at it not lighting again.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Kathy is doing my head in. I don't like the character and she's a bad actress.

I know its down to the script but if she was that scared then why was she out in the dark cleaning a window.
    And why didn't she just go whoosh at the lighter flame and take a punt at it not lighting again.

Either her or Ben could have blown the flame out at any time. Gavin would have soon got bored of having to keep relighting it
  • Options
    willowswillows Posts: 6,169
    Forum Member
    Could probably have done without the hour and most of us already predicted the ending months ago. But I thought it was good. certainly more watchable than what has been aired recently
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree expected more and tbh didn't care
  • Options
    jcotter779jcotter779 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree it promised much but didn't deliver, gavin standing with a lighter over some fireworks wasn't what I was expecting given the hype surrounding the episode, wish dtc would stop building episodes up because it just leads to disappointment! also I worked out months ago he was sharons father so it didn't feel like a big moment.
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member

I agree. I enjoyed most of the episode and there was some brilliant acting from a whole range of characters. I loved Stacey having a central role for once, and I even sort of cared about her, Martin and the baby....and Shabs and Kush, and Lee and Whitney, and Linda and Dean.

But I really can't engage with Kathy as currently written and acted. And the final scene was just laughable, I didn't think Gavin was the least bit threatening. I just kept thinking, 'blow out the lighter', 'elbow him over'. Etc.....

Slightly saved by Sharon at the end, but surely not a shock to many people other than her......
  • Options
    Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    jcotter779 wrote: »
    I agree it promised much but didn't deliver, gavin standing with a lighter over some fireworks wasn't what I was expecting given the hype surrounding the episode, wish dtc would stop building episodes up because it just leads to disappointment! also I worked out months ago he was sharons father so it didn't feel like a big moment.

Also didn't make much sense, really. We were led to believe that Jay left the fireworks there.....so what would Gavin have done if he hadn't? :confused:
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jcotter779 wrote: »

I had the hilarious image of Kathy just turning around and blowing the lighter out - like a bad sketch show! :D
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you took out the Kathy stuff it was a reasonable episode. Gillian is such a poor actress. I knew she wasn't much cop but it is really bad this time. Same with Gavin. The script says he's menacing so have to believe he is. Trouble is the acting says otherwise. The storyline is awful but I do think part of the problem is it's using the weaker actors in show. Ex. Phil and Ben of late. Those two are the only ones making it anyway real.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't a great episode, it would have been better if Gavin had tied all up, tried to kill them and then his sister burst in screaming "Stop! Shes your daughter!"

Far better than robbing Dead Den Watts line
  • Options
    jcotter779jcotter779 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the hilarious image of Kathy just turning around and blowing the lighter out - like a bad sketch show! :D

yeah it was a bit of a joke really, very disappointed thought gavin would have had something much more scary planned, also if jay hadn't left the fireworks sitting what would he have done? I was expecting him to turn up with his heavies or something! it was just flat...
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    That lighter must have been getting bllomin' hot.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, was over-hyped, but then most soap stuff is. :D

Exactly. I watch most big episodes with an open mind now. A lot of people presume that just because something is overhyped, it's going to be amazing, and most the time it isn't. :p
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    That lighter must have been getting bllomin' hot.

I just don't buy Gavin as intimidating, nor do I find his lighter and fireworks a credible weapon.

I love the actor, I don't mind the overall storyline but I think the way the majority of these storylines are overall are written are just shite.
  • Options
    EE_springerEE_springer Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I thought it was the new transgender character so he can't be Kat's son as he was born a girl and secondly he is too young. Kat's son would be early 30s

Actually, I was thinking it was Brian Slatter's ( Stacey's father) child. Would explain interest in Stacey and the focus on the key around his neck as he leaves the flat.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight's episode was decent. The Lee stuff is interesting and it's showing that the actor who plays him does actually have strong acting capabilities, I know a lot of posters have been critical of him in the past. Nice that Whitneys getting more screentime recently too. The Stacey stuff is also pretty watchable, lets get this key reveal sorted sooner rather than later though because damn this storyline is dragging.

What I can't get my head around though is why everyone is so irrationally afraid of Gavin. He must the be the most unconvincing baddie soap land has ever had. He's literally a frail old man ready for a nursing home and the fact that he's emasculated Phil into a quivering wreck is ridiculous.

Overall hit and miss, as Eastenders has been all year.