Options

iPhone 7 will have things you can't live without says Tim Cook

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I've had Sky Q since launch, and it's meh at best. Great idea, but shockingly put together.

When i can watch my content in Dolby Digital without sound dips every 5 seconds, then i may change my mind. When HDMI control works properly, again i may change my mind.

As it stands, the hardware yes, looks great. But it's a second rate product at best.

This is an iPhone thread FFS!
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    aurichie wrote: »

Dual lens camera plus vastly improved low light photography this will be the best camera in any smartphone.

Yes some of the stuff on my list has been attempted by others, but with mixed results at best.

As far as I'm aware, nobody sells a phone with 256GB internal storage. Yes many phones you can add an SDHC card to give you an extra 200-256GB of storage, but not all phones support pooled storage. So adding in storage can get messy and come with limitations or hassles you'll never experience with an iPhone.

The iPhone 6s already smokes the Galaxy S7 in many real world tests. So add in another 50% boost in performance to the iPhone and you're looking at a spectacularly impressive device - potentially two generations ahead of Samsung,

Hmm! let me get this right - If Android come up with the idea of dual lens cameras they can only claim mixed results at best but if Apple do so it will be fantastic right?

I can remember a similar scenario when Apple vowed that a phone never needed to be larger than 4". They scoffed at Android but then copied it and claimed they were doing it better? :blush:

The iPhone 6s already smokes the S7 you claim? Now that is definitely an erotic dream you've been having there. Many long time Apple web reviewers even admit that Apple are playing catch up against the S7.

I've owned both iPhone and Android and am prepared to give credit where it's due.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    Hmm! let me get this right - If Android come up with the idea of dual lens cameras they can only claim mixed results at best but if Apple do so it will be fantastic right?

I can remember a similar scenario when Apple vowed that a phone never needed to be larger than 4". They scoffed at Android but then copied it and claimed they were doing it better? :blush:

The iPhone 6s already smokes the S7 you claim? Now that is definitely an erotic dream you've been having there. Many long time Apple web reviewers even admit that Apple are playing catch up against the S7.

I've owned both iPhone and Android and am prepared to give credit where it's due.

Here's the recent speed test I was referring to:
    http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/08/22/galaxy-note-7-vs-iphone-6s

I don't want to get into a flame war about who did what first, or best, I'm just saying I'm excited to see these new iPhones. I know I'm swimming against a tide of pessimism amongst even the Apple fans at the moment. I genuinely expect to be wowed on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Stereo SteveStereo Steve Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the point is that this is an iPhone thread and they always turn into flame wars. I've just got an SE after 2 years of Android (low end phones such as ZTE and Honor I admit) and I love it to bits. It's perfect for me.

I haven't looked as I'm not interested but I wonder if the threads about Android phones get effectively trolled by Apple users in the same way that iPhone ones do. Or is it a more positive discussion?

You folks have to realise that some people just prefer the iOS eco-system. Like some people prefer petite ladies or thick set men with Norwegian accents in scuba gear. I certainly do and I like iOS too.

As it is, any thread about iPhones an this forum is ruined by people who just have an inbuilt hatred of Apple. Or people who hate the fact that some people fall for all the slick marketing. Most don't. Most people know what they like and go with that. There is nothing wrong with getting excited about a new iPhone. It will probably be a thing of beauty and after a few updates will do what it is supposed to do 100% of the time.

I loved my 4S but sold it to get on the 4G wagon. I love my SE now, it's just perfect. I never loved my ZTE or Honor 7 I'm afraid but that's just me. In fact I turned my ZTE on yesterday in preparation for charging, wiping and selling and it nearly choked itself to death with notification noises. Was quite amusing how long it went on for.

My SE on the other hand restored itself on iTunes and when I put Chrome on it came up with the last page I visited on my 4S. Something about a Welsh castle. I love that.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Android discussions invariably get hijacked in the same way, in particular Samsung threads. Samsung is seen as the key rival to Apple and so anything about a Galaxy phone will have people comparing against the iPhone/iOS.

I don't think it's anywhere near as bad for other manufacturers, such as Google/Nexus, LG, Huawei, Motorola etc.

I look at both Apple and Samsung with derision at times for the way they market things. Apple's arrogance and slick marketing to sell something that isn't actually groundbreaking or game changing, to Samsung selling gimmicks and mocking Apple. Each company appears to love goading customers, which in turn creates the flame wars.

I guess it's true what they say about publicity.

Personally, I doubt that many people switch from Android to iOS. If they are invested in Android, they'll be looking around for another Android phone. The rivalry is with other Android makers, not Apple.

For Apple, there's at least some choice now with the SE and plus models. Maybe a pro will give consumers an even wider selection, which is good because anyone who is committed to iOS is very unlikely to ditch everything and go elsewhere. Or at least Apple certainly hopes that's the case, and the marketing is always pointing out that the iPhone is 56% snazzier and 64% funner than Y, and the software is 201% more incredible than Z.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guess the point is that this is an iPhone thread and they always turn into flame wars. I've just got an SE after 2 years of Android (low end phones such as ZTE and Honor I admit) and I love it to bits. It's perfect for me.

I haven't looked as I'm not interested but I wonder if the threads about Android phones get effectively trolled by Apple users in the same way that iPhone ones do. Or is it a more positive discussion?

You folks have to realise that some people just prefer the iOS eco-system. Like some people prefer petite ladies or thick set men with Norwegian accents in scuba gear. I certainly do and I like iOS too.

As it is, any thread about iPhones an this forum is ruined by people who just have an inbuilt hatred of Apple. Or people who hate the fact that some people fall for all the slick marketing. Most don't. Most people know what they like and go with that. There is nothing wrong with getting excited about a new iPhone. It will probably be a thing of beauty and after a few updates will do what it is supposed to do 100% of the time.

I loved my 4S but sold it to get on the 4G wagon. I love my SE now, it's just perfect. I never loved my ZTE or Honor 7 I'm afraid but that's just me. In fact I turned my ZTE on yesterday in preparation for charging, wiping and selling and it nearly choked itself to death with notification noises. Was quite amusing how long it went on for.

My SE on the other hand restored itself on iTunes and when I put Chrome on it came up with the last page I visited on my 4S. Something about a Welsh castle. I love that.

It is sad that you can't have a conversation on here about these new iPhones without some snooty Android fanatics chirping up about how <insert_android_oem> already does it all and so much better.

Clearly the mods think it's fair game though so I rarely participate in this forum. If I want to talk mobiles or tablets, I do it on sites like Macrumors, appleinsider or imore. I'm here mainly for the TV stuff, a bit of politics and the occasional dip in the sports threads.

I have no idea if the Apple fans on this site (if they exist) do the same in say the Sansung threads. The Android threads don't interest me so I don't read or participate in them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are the epiphany of a fanboy, and I'm sure you must admit that yourself going by your posts about Apple and Sky.

That's not a problem FWIW, but why state that you aren't aware of there being any Apple fanboys here but that it's full of 'snooty Android fanatics'? You managed to get a swipe at Android even then!

Everyone is probably a 'fanboy' of something. A brand, a product, a car, a football player/team or whatever. It's natural and why marketing exists to take advantage of human nature.

The problem is when people can't have a conversation about the pros and cons without fanboys dismissing anything that doesn't suit their narrative. Or that can't admit the failures of their beloved brand.

I've used Apple products for years. I've been to countless Apple launches. Heck, I met Steve Jobs at one of them in person and had a (very brief) chat. But I will not just say nothing but nice things about the company. The company has many faults. The way it manages PR, or should I say control, is ridiculous (and I know people who personally worked the UK PR team).

The way they control the media with the need to remain loyal, such that once you say anything bad you're thrown out of the inner circle, just gets us to the point where the media dares not say bad things about Apple OR you get nothing but bad things said, often grossly and unfairly exaggerated, from those who were kicked out.

Apple make great products, but the way they're sold IS cult like. Apple started getting crowds almost chanting support (in reality, at events the people clapping and cheering are Apple's own people sitting amongst the press) and then preaching the word to everyone else. Hence why you have the fanboys talking like press releases.

I can't support Apple on that side of things, but Samsung is trying to do the exact same thing because it works. Samsung figures it can brainwash people into buying its products and in the last two years, especially when dropping low end kit, it seems to be showing signs of working.

I just hope most people just look at the iPhone or a Galaxy phone as a phone and decide based on their own needs, not buzzwords and hype.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,751
    Forum Member
    I am interested to see proponents of of iOS and Android discussing the relative merits of the two, hopefully intelligently and without the insults, as I may have to switch leakosphere to one of those two next time I change my phone. In broad brush terms it seems I have to choose between the over-controlling one and the sticky-fingered t'other neither of which is particularly appealing. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    You are the epiphany of a fanboy, and I'm sure you must admit that yourself going by your posts about Apple and Sky.

That's not a problem FWIW, but why state that you aren't aware of there being any Apple fanboys here but that it's full of 'snooty Android fanatics'? You managed to get a swipe at Android even then!

Yes I admit that I like Apple and Sky products. I didn't say DS was full of snooty Android fanatics. I just said there are some who are hell bent on disrupting conversations about Apple stuff.

I don't think I'm actually a fan boy in the extreme sense at all. I've used Freesat, YouView, I've had a BT TV subscription, I do sample the competition. I also have Android devices for testing, I use Windows 10 as well as some Linux and OS X, and I have a Windows Phone. I'm not blinded by love for a particular brand.

When it comes to TV I believe Sky are the best. Not just the content, but the technology too and the method of delivery. With phones, I think the iPhone is in a class of its own. But I don't go into the Freesat or BT TV forum telling people to get sky, and I don't rubbish Android in the Samsung or Android threads. There's no point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no particular allegiance to either. I have used both and much prefer iOS at the moment but will have no problem at all switching back in the future. . I have to say the worst thing, in my opinion, about Android is the amount of things you have to turn off to stop the bloody thing pinging and bleeping at you all day for no good reason. That is my view. I accept it is not a problem for everyone.

I think there is also a lack of decent quality smaller phones for Android. The SE found it's mark with me. Would be good to see Samsung or someone do a similar thing.
  • Options
    CheshireBumpkinCheshireBumpkin Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good post this, Jon. Reasoned and sensible - I agree with every word.

I'll be one of a relative minority moving from Android to iOS with my next phone - based not on spin, smoke and mirrors, or any marketing mantra - just individual 'real-world' needs and frustrations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have no particular allegiance to either. I have used both and much prefer iOS at the moment but will have no problem at all switching back in the future. . I have to say the worst thing, in my opinion, about Android is the amount of things you have to turn off to stop the bloody thing pinging and bleeping at you all day for no good reason. That is my view. I accept it is not a problem for everyone.

I think there is also a lack of decent quality smaller phones for Android. The SE found it's mark with me. Would be good to see Samsung or someone do a similar thing.

I'd be surprised if Samsung doesn't try to replicate the success of the SE sooner than later. I think even Apple has been surprised by how well it has sold. Although perhaps they shouldn't have been, given it's relative low price point and very decent specs - it's an amazing bargain when matched up against the pricier high-end iPhone models.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if Samsung doesn't try to replicate the success of the SE sooner than later. I think even Apple has been surprised by how well it has sold. Although perhaps they shouldn't have been, given it's relative low price point and very decent specs - it's an amazing bargain when matched up against the pricier high-end iPhone models.

That'll be similar to what Sony did with the Z5C - similar spec to the Z5, just a much smaller device. Interesting that Sony have shot themselves in the foot with the new X Compact, which isn't really a high end device but is going to be marketed as such.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    That'll be similar to what Sony did with the Z5C - similar spec to the Z5, just a much smaller device. Interesting that Sony have shot themselves in the foot with the new X Compact, which isn't really a high end device but is going to be marketed as such.

I'm surprised Sony have any feet left to shoot at this point. :( I'm genuinely sad because I loved Sony at their best. My TV's are still all Sony's, and my first Android phone was an Xperia S, and my first Android tablet was an Xperia too. But they really have been all over the place with mobile trying to find their place. It seems like inevitably they will exit the mobile space.

I was tempted to buy a Z5C at one point - I know it received some very positive reviews and real users seemed to love it - but my experience with Sony and the buggy and laggy software they layer on top of stuff (TV's and Mobile devices) keeps me away from them now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Xperia XZ looks nice (the design is a bit different from the competition and even Sony's previous models) but when I was at IFA, I saw it giving the overheat warning in the camera. So since the Z3 (and even to a degree, the Z2) they've STILL not sorted out a way to dissipate heat.

I remember missing some great photos because in the heat of summer, the camera just wouldn't let me take more than a handful of photos before the thing wouldn't start up. And the impact on the battery was just madness.

Suffice to say, the Z3 became my last 'daily driver' and I don't think either the X Compact or the XZ can restore my confidence.

Such a shame given I've owned probably 95% of Sony Ericsson and Sony phones since 2002 (yes, most were given to me but the point is, I nearly always used them as my main phone because most of the phones were far beyond what the likes of Nokia or Motorola would make). Now Sony is just an 'also ran'.

It's worth mentioning there are many, many Sony fanboys that are in total denial and won't hear a bad word said about them. I think it's fair to say that these people do a lot of harm to manufacturers, because they keep saying great things and it paints a picture that is far from reality.

Nokia had the same. It worked with bloggers to get good editorial in return for free gifts/trips (one of the first company to see the value of 'influencers') and got loads of positive press, yet customers weren't buying and all of a sudden someone asks why that is.

Perhaps listening to more honest opinions is a better idea. I think Apple (to get back on topic) will benefit from people being a little more critical. Maybe not users or tech journos, but certainly analysts at least.

Tomorrow there will be LOADS of hype. Two of my friends are in business class on BA with Apple to San Francisco right now, and tomorrow there's going to be loads of positive press. But the whole industry is stagnating now, and I wonder if, beyond the initial surge in sales because this is a number increment release, Apple can buck the trend whereby people are keeping existing phones for longer.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Yes I admit that I like Apple and Sky products. I didn't say DS was full of snooty Android fanatics. I just said there are some who are hell bent on disrupting conversations about Apple stuff.

I don't think I'm actually a fan boy in the extreme sense at all. I've used Freesat, YouView, I've had a BT TV subscription, I do sample the competition. I also have Android devices for testing, I use Windows 10 as well as some Linux and OS X, and I have a Windows Phone. I'm not blinded by love for a particular brand.

When it comes to TV I believe Sky are the best. Not just the content, but the technology too and the method of delivery. With phones, I think the iPhone is in a class of its own. But I don't go into the Freesat or BT TV forum telling people to get sky, and I don't rubbish Android in the Samsung or Android threads. There's no point.

I think you get mixed up between pointing out blatant inaccuracies to people starting flame wars.

Apple fans always seem to say only apple does anything right. You yourself did this very thing earlier. I was merely pointing out your errors.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    The buzz around this new iPhone is pretty pathetic. Apple truly have lost their edge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised Sony have any feet left to shoot at this point. :( I'm genuinely sad because I loved Sony at their best. My TV's are still all Sony's, and my first Android phone was an Xperia S, and my first Android tablet was an Xperia too. But they really have been all over the place with mobile trying to find their place. It seems like inevitably they will exit the mobile space.

I was tempted to buy a Z5C at one point - I know it received some very positive reviews and real users seemed to love it - but my experience with Sony and the buggy and laggy software they layer on top of stuff (TV's and Mobile devices) keeps me away from them now.

I have a Sony bravia TV running android and I have an Xperia z5. None lag nor have any bugs.

They were years ago very bad with updates. Now they are pretty quick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Such a shame given I've owned probably 95% of Sony Ericsson and Sony phones since 2002 (yes, most were given to me but the point is, I nearly always used them as my main phone because most of the phones were far beyond what the likes of Nokia or Motorola would make). Now Sony is just an 'also ran'.

My first "smartphone" was the Sony Ericsson P900. I used it for years. It wasn't particularly good, and I still try to blame it for missing the mobile revolution before it started to happen.

I was in a meeting in Oxford years before the iPhone ever arrived with a US investor who told me to drop everything we were doing, build for mobile, because soon everything we were viewing from behind big, bulky computer screens would move to smaller mobile displays. I invested in ARM Holdings for a time because I somewhat wanted to believe him, and he was betting big on their designs going into everything, but I didn't hold onto those shares anywhere close to long enough. :o

Anyway as he told me all of this, I kept looking at my P900 thinking are you mad? This device is never going to replace the desktops and laptops we all know and use. Well I was half-right, unfortunately I didn't think long enough that the technology would evolve into something much more attractive and usable than that P900. Haha oops.
    It's worth mentioning there are many, many Sony fanboys that are in total denial and won't hear a bad word said about them. I think it's fair to say that these people do a lot of harm to manufacturers, because they keep saying great things and it paints a picture that is far from reality.

Yes, many of them are on XperiaBlog. ;-) The comments are funny on there.
    Tomorrow there will be LOADS of hype. Two of my friends are in business class on BA with Apple to San Francisco right now, and tomorrow there's going to be loads of positive press. But the whole industry is stagnating now, and I wonder if, beyond the initial surge in sales because this is a number increment release, Apple can buck the trend whereby people are keeping existing phones for longer.

Yes well let's wait to see what Apple has to announce before completely writing them off. I'm optimistic Apple will continue driving forward enough innovation to keep customers engaged with buying the latest and greatest devices. Tim Cook is investing heavily in R&D, far more than Steve Jobs ever did before him. The rest of the industry will continue following Apple's lead for many years to come, I'm very confident of that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If my K600i wasn't leaking evil gunge out of somewhere it would still be a great little phone. Still works. I might try a new battery off ebay, clean it up and see what happens.

With Nokia the problem was Symbian as we all know and they would not stop. Would not change. It was awful and it killed them. I had one, I think an N95 or N97 or 98 or something, and although a great piece of hardware with a great camera and excellent reception, I never did work out how to send a text. Or if I did, I couldn't remember the next time. It was truly awful.

That's what you don't get with iOS. It's pretty clear what to do all the time and that is like the old, old Nokias. Anyone could use them pretty much straight away. Intuitive. Android is OK in that regard but it keeps telling you stuff you really don't need to know. Too much junk etc. etc. etc.

One thing Apple could do is give us a 'BACK' button. Perhaps that will be the revelation on the iPhone 15? Apple invents the 'BACK' button, a revolutionary thing to go back to what you were doing a minute a go. It's almost like time travel.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    I have a Sony bravia TV running android and I have an Xperia z5. None lag nor have any bugs.

They were years ago very bad with updates. Now they are pretty quick.

Interesting. I'll have to go and check out the current generation TV models in some retail store, because I was planning on switching to a different brand when I update them to HDR. If they have finally sorted out the laggy TV software then I'll gladly stick with the Sony badge I like to polish every week. :p

I'm definitely not interested in Xperia phones anymore. Sony is going nowhere good in mobile.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One thing Apple could do is give us a 'BACK' button. Perhaps that will be the revelation on the iPhone 15? Apple invents the 'BACK' button, a revolutionary thing to go back to what you were doing a minute a go. It's almost like time travel.......

Apple had "time travel" of sorts in Apple Watch, but they've removed it in WatchOS 3. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting. I'll have to go and check out the current generation TV models in some retail store, because I was planning on switching to a different brand when I update them to HDR. If they have finally sorted out the laggy TV software then I'll gladly stick with the Sony badge I like to polish every week. :p

I'm definitely not interested in Xperia phones anymore. Sony is going nowhere good in mobile.

See i disagree. I think Sony phones are some of the best in terms of looks and feel.

They do seem to be in an odd position where they don't seem to advertise much. But they do indeed make great phones with the exception of a few. I loath the day when i have to part with my Z5 :(

I do love my Sony telly. It was a bit laggy to start with when i first got a Sony Android telly, but it is constantly updated and is pretty smooth now.

No way would i go back to a non Android telly now with the things i can do with this. Love it.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    No real change. The only downer for me is the design is going to stay pretty much the same for the third year running. The new colours that are expected doesn't do much for me by way of a compromise. But aside from design, Apple is going to improve everything else massively. It will be a huge upgrade no matter what iPhone you currently own.

:blush: oh you actually answered that as if you had the phone
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Here's the recent speed test I was referring to:
    http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/08/22/galaxy-note-7-vs-iphone-6s

I don't want to get into a flame war about who did what first, or best, I'm just saying I'm excited to see these new iPhones. I know I'm swimming against a tide of pessimism amongst even the Apple fans at the moment. I genuinely expect to be wowed on Wednesday.

FFS we are talking about a review from John Gruber regarding the 6s smoking the S7. This is "the" John Gruber that wrote this -
    After spending years making websites for other people, Gruber decided to go into business for himself — writing stories about Apple that he wanted to read.

"My audience is just me," Gruber said of his Daring Fireball site
    :o