Options

Laurel and Hardy on the BBC

Comments

• Options
    Roger_PetersRoger_Peters Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think it might be 'Pardon Us'.

After the squad of soldiers leaves the trench and charges toward the front, Stan is accidentally left behind. The war ends and Ollie thinks Stan is dead until he reads a news article about him being found long after the war ended.
    He traces him to a military hospital where Ollie thinks Stan has lost a leg and wheels him around and carries him everywhere out of pity until he sees Stan still has two legs.
    Ollie then takes Stan home to meet the wife. and so on....
  • Options
    damianswifedamianswife Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockheads.....?
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember one where they stay in a creepy big house, with a weird creepy butler, and a bat gets under a sheet and flies about, making them think it's a ghost. I think it's another one when they're lost in a maze at night and they think they see a ghost.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I remember one where they stay in a creepy big house, with a weird creepy butler, and a bat gets under a sheet and flies about, making them think it's a ghost. I think it's another one when they're lost in a maze at night and they think they see a ghost.

The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case, it's on youtube (in colour).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The maze one is 'A Chump at Oxford'.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case, it's on youtube (in colour).

L&H films always look far better in their original black and white format in my opinion. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhXBqK6y9R8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    L&H films always look far better in their original black and white format in my opinion. :)

Agreed.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member

I'm not that bothered tbh, can happily watch either. The colourised versions tend to have been restored at the same time though.

I want to see them in 4K now. ;)
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please excuse how vague this description is, it was some 25 years ago I last saw this one.

But what was the one, I think it was short, where L+H were in the army and there's a scene where Stan is on patrol, guarding something, waiting for Olly to come back I think.

Anyway, he's doing his route march and it cuts back a bit later and he's been marching it for that long his footsteps have dug a trench.

I remember laughing my head off at that as a kid. Would love to see it again.

It was one of their features called Blockheads. :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebn1YOtTIZs
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll get You Tube hunting.

Anyway, who needs an excuse for an L+H marathon!
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Apparently when filming their last film Atoll K, Oliver Hardy had suffered a heart attack and Stan Laurel had some kind of disease which he picked up on the set which resulted in him losing loads of weight. It's so sad to see them both clearly suffering in this film.

Stan Laurel was apparently hoping for this film, he would have greater control of the writing and the production like he did back in the Hal Roach pictures, but sadly that wasn't the case and the film makers behind this picture were a foreign company who took over the making of the film and Stan's illness prevented him from having the control he had hoped for also.

Apparently the online petition, which now has over 10,000 signatures, has been passed over to the BBC on Friday. From what I can gather, the BBC has previously said they would look into showing L&H again if the petition gets over 10,000 signatures, so will see what the BBC can do from here :)

A season of L&H films will be ideal to tie in with the new L&H drama which BBC Comedy are currently making at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have every episode and film so can watch whenever I want but I would still welcome seeing them on television again. They are still incredibly funny after all this time.
    I honestly think that they are the greatest comedy actors ever.

I host teenage foreign students and put them on for them to watch and even though many of these kids speak no English, they roll about with laughter.
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 of my favourite L&H shorts is Come Clean.The boys go out to buy ice cream & save a woman from committing suicide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gerry d wrote: »
    1 of my favourite L&H shorts is Come Clean.The boys go out to buy ice cream & save a woman from committing suicide.

Yes Come Clean is one of my favourites as well :)
    This was one of the first L&H films which first got me into them back in 1992 when I was 13 which was funnily enough shown on BBC2 as part of a double bill being shown at the time, the other short was 'Be Big'. These were shown during the school summer holidays when BBC2 shown L&H quite a lot.

I really miss those Laurel & Hardy double bills BBC2 used to show. Would love to see them again in a similar format, it may make more young L&H fans :)
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,783
    Forum Member
    Ken Bruce mentioned the petition on his radio show this morning and asked all his listeners to sign it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got a really good feeling about this petition. The number of signatures on it are still rising as well, now up to over 10,300 signatures when I last looked earlier today.

I guess now it all depends on if the BBC are successful in acquiring the licence to show them. I think they got the licence from Universal 15 years ago as they were showing the restored prints so may well try and get them back from them again. It just hinges on the cost of getting the rights back I think, although the L&H fan club have confirmed on Twitter that the costs are definitely not an issue and getting the L&H films back is pretty straight forward.

Here's hoping the BBC finally get the rights back and show a season of L&H films over Christmas :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to look forward to the Christmas season of L&H. They were shown during the latter part of the Christmas period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I used to look forward to the Christmas season of L&H. They were shown during the latter part of the Christmas period.

Yes I loved the season BBC2 ran over Christmas 2000. The season started on the Saturday before Christmas and ended on 2nd Jan. I think the Beeb also ran a season during the Christmases of 2001, 2002 and 2003 as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it the 80s when they were last regularly on the BBC?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the BBC Genome site Laurel & Hardy was shown on a regular basis on BBC2 from 2002 - 2005
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Not really.

Stan and Ollie were unique.

They were by far the greatest comedy duo in history by light years - and their films are still as fresh, funny and touching today as when they were first made.

As a horror fan I just love this one for example - only 86 years old. :D

How many of today's comedians will still be funny in the 22nd century?

Laurel and Hardy will - forever. ^_^

Although the approach was somewhat different I think Abbott and Costello were pretty good too. Laurel has the cultural connection of being English, but A&C had different ways of playing off each other than L&H and those worked too. And if we go beyond duos and just consider comedy teams, then those Marx Brothers fellows were fairly accomplished too, I'd argue.

Stan Laurel did have that wonderful Charlie Chaplin-like quality though (which made sense since he was an understudy for Chaplin at one point).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched Laurel & Hardy Murder Case and Blockheads yesterday. Both still good.
  • Options
    oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know which L&H short this one was:

they are in a car with their wives/family and they keep saying goodbye to the neighbours and their car keeps breaking down and they start with the goodbyes again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's called Perfect Day
  • Options
    oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gerry d wrote: »
    It's called Perfect Day

ok thanks, I'll have to see if it's on youtube