Options

Do you think speaking in a foreign language while working is rude???

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a fire occured in a shop, I'd respond to the fire alarm, not the person behind the till.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oi, je voudrais une Broderie Anglaise nighty?

Not yet. I haven't seen one I like!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Not yet. I haven't seen one I like!

Le tut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a fire occured in a shop, I'd respond to the fire alarm, not the person behind the till.

What if the main entrance was shut off and you needed the person behind the till (who knows more about where the fire exits are than you do) to help you get out safely?
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the main entrance was shut off and you needed the person behind the till (who knows more about where the fire exits are than you do) to help you get out safely?

Fire exits would have English signage which would be more of an advantage to you than the person behind the till.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Le tut.

L'autobus nas pas returnee! Il est chaud et soleil et le nas pas bon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fire exit signs tend to be rather obvious.

Personally I think the dangers are so minuscule, they are not worth worrying about. I take it you have never been abroad?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    L'autobus nas pas returnee! Il est chaud et soleil et le nas pas bon!

:( I weep for the unreturned bus and the unpurchased nighty
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fire exit signs tend to be rather obvious.

Personally I think the dangers are so minuscule, they are not worth worrying about. I take it you have never been abroad?

Yes I have been abroad. Malta where English is an official language, France where I can get by on a little of the lingo, Benidorm where everyone in shops and bars tend to be English or Spaniards who speak peak fluent English and Germany where I just got by. At least in Germany and France they have people serving you who speak German and French. I don't understand why you are being objectional about this. For British people to be served in a shop by people who can understand them is surely a fair thing to expect? If shops want to take our money they should ensure we are being respected by people who can clearly communicate with us.

What language these people decide to talk in away from the service desk or on break is entirely up to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :( I weep for the unreturned bus and the unpurchased nighty

I waited ages for the thing to arrive but it didn't arrive! Had to spend my nighty money on a taxi. And due to roadworks we had to change route. instead of the usual route we had to divert to
    deus ronpoits et le premiere rue a la droit apres le deusieme ronpoit.
  • Options
    momma11momma11 Posts: 3,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oi, je voudrais une Broderie Anglaise nighty?

I have one and it's gorgeous , very Laura Ashley ;)
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

La salida de incendios es el segunda de la izquierda. Rapidamente ahora!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's absolutely no problem with two workers working speaking their own language to each other. I'm sure if an English speaking person came up to them then they'd be able to reply in English to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I have been abroad. Malta where English is an official language, France where I can get by on a little of the lingo, Benidorm where everyone in shops and bars tend to be English or Spaniards who speak peak fluent English and Germany where I just got by. At least in Germany and France they have people serving you who speak German and French. I don't understand why you are being objectional about this. For British people to be served in a shop by people who can understand them is surely a fair thing to expect? If shops want to take our money they should ensure we are being respected by people who can clearly communicate with us.

What language these people decide to talk in away from the service desk or on break is entirely up to them.

Unless its a specific Polish/Chinese etc style store then I agree with you. The only thing I am objecting here is your view that it is dangerous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so confused. This thread started out as a moan about 2 people carrying out a PERSONAL conversation in their mother tongue. Now it is about shop assistants not speaking English? Is this a big problem? I don't recall having a problem communicating with shop staff here ever really. (I mean sometimes I can't understand the Bristol accent very well.. P)
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Unless its a specific Polish/Chinese etc style store then I agree with you. The only thing I am objecting here is your view that it is dangerous.

Agreed - I'm slightly baffled that people are going into Polish, Chinese shops etc and being annoyed that they aren't being greeted by someone who sounds like they read the BBC news in 1952
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    La salida de incendios es el segunda de la izquierda. Rapidamente ahora!

esta bien.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    esta bien.

De nada.
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did think it was wrong yesterday reading that you can do the driving theory test in different languages. If you can't read english then how do you follow written road signs?

They're signs, that's how you follow them. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There are occasions when communication may be required. What if someone had a heart attack? What if there was someone who needed medical assistance or was having a fit? Maybe someone needed to tell the staff member of a potential shoplifter or of an obstruction that could prove hazardous. What if there was a chemical leak that needed actual communication to customers of the situation? There are all sorts of reasons why staff members need a good understanding of the English language.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are occasions when communication may be required. What if someone had a heart attack? What if there was someone who needed medical assistance or was having a fit? Maybe someone needed to tell the staff member of a potential shoplifter or of an obstruction that could prove hazardous. What if there was a chemical leak that needed actual communication to customers of the situation? There are all sorts of reasons why staff members need a good understanding of the English language.

But by that logic it means it is unsafe for me to go in a shop abroad where English isn't spoken.
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blimey, I never knew going into a shop could be so hazardous! I'll stick to ordering online from now on.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    But by that logic it means it is unsafe for me to go in a shop abroad where English isn't spoken.

Good god, man, of course it isn't safe! What if there is a chemical leak? :eek:

It's best just to do what the rest of us do and take along an extra suitcase stuffed with Marmite and PG Tips.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why? Most shops abroad will have someone who can speak English. And in foreign countries the staff members speak the native tongue. (Except Benidorm!). In your own country in your own shops it is right that should you have something go wrong then the person speaking to you is fully able to communicate with you. It is your choice to go abroad. It is up to you to learn to understand them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why? Most shops abroad will have someone who can speak English.

Sorry......are you being serious?

And what if that one person (if he or she exists) is on holiday, on their lunch break or in college taking English classes?