Options

Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    ramageramage Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a wonderful day.
    I don't like to see anybody lose their job, but he didn't care when I lost mine, so good riddance.
    I wonder who will replace him. I hope it's someone who will stand up to Brazil & not agree with him just to keep onside.
    There is a downside. We will have to hear the same old stories from Brazil all over again as he tells the new guy, forgetting that the listeners have heard them all before many times.

I wonder if that is the reason the Moose isn't in today. He couldn't get out of bed for laughing.
  • Options
    Flashy VicFlashy Vic Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ramage wrote: »
    What a wonderful day.
    I don't like to see anybody lose their job, but he didn't care when I lost mine, so good riddance.
    I wonder who will replace him. I hope it's someone who will stand up to Brazil & not agree with him just to keep onside.
    There is a downside. We will have to hear the same old stories from Brazil all over again as he tells the new guy, forgetting that the listeners have heard them all before many times.

I wonder if that is the reason the Moose isn't in today. He couldn't get out of bed for laughing.
    "Have ye no' heerd aboot the time ah scored five agin Soothampton? Well fer ra first wan the Beat hit the baw across fram the right & Warky wuz there tae flick it on & aw ah had to dae wuz........blah blah.....bore bore...."
  • Options
    STeelySTeely Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    Can Darren Gough go next
  • Options
    DCIGeneHunt1973DCIGeneHunt1973 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    See ya Irani ,Don't let the door smack your ass on the way out :cool:
  • Options
    PetingoPetingo Posts: 973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonboy001 wrote: »
    Was it regarding the lie he told last week when he said he was sitting right by where Roy keane finished harlands career. At the same time he was found to be 81 not out at a county game( so the record books have shown) seems a bit petty but that's the only rumour going around.

I couldn't see him being fired for that.

I'm sure they all tell porkies.

They've wanted rid and that is a convenient excuse.

And now they ought to do the sensible thing.

Re-unite Brazil and Porky.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See ya Irani ,Don't let the door smack your ass on the way out :cool:
    Wow, what's happened? Has there been a sacking? Did he go completely ga-ga and have a meltdown live on air? :eek:

Edit: Just read back as the "go to next unread post" button wasn't working properly and I missed a load.

I'll be listening to this hour later for sure. Comedy gold.
  • Options
    DCIGeneHunt1973DCIGeneHunt1973 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Petingo wrote: »
    I couldn't see him being fired for that.

I'm sure they all tell porkies.

They've wanted rid and that is a convenient excuse.

And now they ought to do the sensible thing.

Re-unite Brazil and Porky.

Exactly Pet
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PG30 wrote: »
    Just thought i'd pop in to comment on the ratings

Talksport have lost over 400,000 listeners in the space of a year. This quarter in 2012 had 3.3 million listeners, the same quarter a year later in 2013 is down to 2.9m. That's a lot of listeners to be shedding in just a year.

Two awful quarters in a row as the last quarter was dreadful as well. Moz Dee obviously saw what was coming and jumped ship.

Plus more importantly it looks like UTV's advertising revenue is down 10% and set to get worse according to the Guardian.

So, hopefully this will mean drastic changes, getting rid of all the deadwood (practically all the presenters) and hopefully changes mean can start listening again to this once great (alright, ok) station.

Pretty sure this is the reason he's been sacked (as I predicted last week)
  • Options
    R VR V Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    jonboy001 wrote: »
    Was it regarding the lie he told last week when he said he was sitting right by where Roy keane finished harlands career. At the same time he was found to be 81 not out at a county game( so the record books have shown) seems a bit petty but that's the only rumour going around.

How about being inept, free loading, annoying, thick as mince, having no opinion on anything and being up the scotch drunk's backside every show.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't change too much about talkSPORT in one go - you're more likely to shed even more audience doing that. The station still has a strong backbone but there are obvious areas for improvement. And the most obvious change of all is being made it seems. I'm amazed Irani managed to last six years on the breakfast show as sadly, he just wasn't up to the job. His contributions, when made, added nothing. Looks to me as if the recent stand-ins were being auditioned for the job - wonder who'll get it?

Edit - just to add I thought Danny Kelly and Gabriel Marcotti were excellent on Kick Off the other night.
  • Options
    Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like to see anyone lose their job. Many of us have been there and no it isn't pleasant.

However, Irani was inept as a radio broadcaster and arrogant with it. About the only good thing that could be said of him was that he turned up each and every day - good for management, bad for the listeners.

I do not think it has anything to do with the Roy Keane fib. I think the new controller has taken a good hard look before pulling the trigger. The fact that he's gone so quickly is probably down to a row over terms. Knowing Irani he was probably shocked, didn't see it coming and then threw his toys out of the pram.

Brazil stuck the knife in by asking if Irani had managed to get his cup final tickets!!! Ronnie nearly choked and said that he wasn't going and would be staying in to watch it.

If I were Brazil and a few others I'd be looking over my shoulder. I don't think Irani will be the last to leave. Viewing figures and advertising revenue are down. Go figure.
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a sad day for all of us. Cue solemn music ....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh8vNouUj2g

The Bonzos - "Slush"
  • Options
    HowjoHowjo Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    ramage wrote: »
    What a wonderful day.

hahaha this actually made me laugh

TO be honest though now its come , it is a bit of a shock , during handover at 6 did sound like he wasnt in the studio and nothing was mentioned during the time I was listening.

Goughie will be sighing a huge sigh o f relief , after just signing the new contract , if he goes will get a huge payoff

its Quinny I want off the air waves

good luck Ronnie , thanks for the un intentional laughs ,
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bringing back Parry would be awful. He's the same level of broadcaster that Irani was with a different act.
  • Options
    old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irani has gone then,I tuned in to hear who was on keys and Gray,and heard Brazil ask him what was he up to this weekend and thought its only Thursday and probably still pissed from the night before.Pretty strange if as l have read it was only briefly mentioned by a guest earlier.Brazil was true to form,what was it when Parry left "happiest day"today was give "me a text if your in London and we could meet up for a drink."Expect Brazil new before hand and would be just looking after himself horrible cretin that he is.Hope this is the start of a major cull that includes Brazil as there is some under used talent at the station.Not nice seeing people lose their jobs but a station that spends many hours spouting on about football managers jobs including The Sack Race l have no sympathy.
    Will be interested to hear the facts behind this and maybe Charlie Sale in the mail will shed some light tomorrow.There will be some squeaky bottoms at TS in the coming weeks.I expect Irani is meeting up with Thegouldfather as we speak for a sad goodby hug
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he'll have time to use his 60-year season tickets at Old Trafford now.
  • Options
    esteveesteve Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    I've been listening to talksport for more than a decade and can honestly say today has been the best ever
    I'm even listening to Keys and Gray and not wanting to kick the cat every time Andy Gray guffaws at every comment made
    Thank you Talksport for removing ronnie Irani
    However, there is a lot more to be done
    It would be easier to say which shows i like
    H and J is a must listen, can understand why some dont like Jacobs but i have to say i enjoy his contributions
    He's also the best blocker since Chris Tavare
    I have also enjoyed Extra time, even more so with Russel Hargreaves and even Mike Graham has impressed after a shaky start
    I would like some current affairs too but can listen to LBC and 5 live for that via Tunein radio
    I live in Korea so dont get to listen from 5pm-12pm
    Mercifully this means i cant listen to Andy Goldstein
    I would like to see Talksport bring in Ian Payne ,Brian Moore and a couple of other presenters
    I cant listen to Quinn(proof not every scouser is funny) Gough(great cricketer but inarticulate to say the least) , Durham(drivetime) , Matterface, Bingham, Collymore(more me less you)Toby Gillis,Andrew McKenna
    However, today has restored my faith
    I even saw Fidel castro and George Bush embracing today on TV such was the enormity of Ronnies departing
  • Options
    Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is genius. Had me in tears. Goughie and Jacobs get honourable mentions.

http://t.co/pfV7rwJOEr
  • Options
    welovezigwelovezig Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Is it a coincidence that Clark Carlisle has just announced his retirement? :confused:

good luck Ronnie, you have always seemed like a really nice bloke, even though you denounced Lancashire :mad:
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose a lot of us had forecast Ronnie Irani leaving breakfast for a long while now but the timing of it is a surprise.

It seems to have been a snap decision to drop him from breakfast so suddenly, it has come out of the blue and there is obvious successor lined up to replace him. I'm surprised they didn't let him see out this week, his name is still in the schedule so they'll probably have to get someone in at short notice and they might as well have dumped him on Friday rather than Thursday. It certainly isn't any more or less kinder. Having looked it up, Ronnie presented his first Sports Breakfast on Tuesday 25th September 2007, so if he's been on a rolling yearly contract since then he should have had about four months left to run on it.

I agree with those who have cited the double whammy of news of bad RAJAR figures and falling revenues for talkSPORT from this time last week as being the catalyst for Ronnie's departure. As most radio professionals on here often state, the weekday breakfast show is the most important programme on any radio station (followed by weekday drivetime), it's the one pitched at the largest potential listening audience and will set a station up for the day - those shows following on from breakfast usually inherit at least part of its audience as the day goes on.

The reason why talkSPORT has a poor reputation among many potential listeners, even despite the improvements it has made in certain areas in recent times, is down to breakfast and drive - these are the programmes people hold up as the biggest examples of talkSPORT, much more so than Keys & Gray, Hawksbee & Jacobs or their evening and weekend content (the vast majority of which I rate as being very strong right now). talkSPORT needs to get these two programmes right and clearly they have taken the first step as they set out to do this.

It's not nice to hear that someone has lost their job and I've no desire to kick a man when he's down, particularly in the wake of a crushing career blow like this. Good luck to Ronnie in the future and I hope he finds something to move on to that he finds enjoyable. I might be the only talkSPORT listener to say this but I never really had strong feelings about him either way, he obviously had his faults as a broadcaster but I didn't think he was quite as bad as he has been made out to be nor did I think he came across as anything less than basically a decent person.

It might not be the end of Ronnie Irani's career on talkSPORT - he's scheduled to present his summer cricket show Howzat! between 4-6pm from this Sunday onwards (which he has been doing during the gap between the end of one football season and start of another for the past few years), although during the announcement of his departure this morning he mentioned something about being hopeful he'd be presenting that show this weekend but needed to "sort that out and see what's happening." If he can sort things out to present that show for the duration of the summer before leaving amicably, I could see him popping up as a guest to talk about cricket on shows like H&J from time to time, as former hosts like Graham Beecroft and Paul Breen-Turner do on football in their parts of the world these days.

As for Ronnie's successor - I suspect that in the short term, perhaps for the duration of the summer, we'll hear what we heard recently when Ronnie was absent and that is Alan presenting the show with a number of different guest co-hosts. Personally I would like this arrangement to become the norm for the foreseeable future. Although the bulk of these guests will probably come from a football background given the nature of the UK's sports agenda, I could see them having a fair few people involved in rugby union on during the Lions tour, tennis during Wimbledon and cricket during The Ashes.

I've no idea what they'll do tomorrow; Ian Danter is covering for Paul on H&J, Jason Cundy is on The Sports Bar tonight and Danny Kelly is hosting his usual Friday Kick Off so either they'll have to change one of those shows or find another available fill-in host at short notice. Have they announced who'll be co-hosting tomorrow's show with Alan on-air yet?

For those who haven't heard it yet and want to listen to the audio confirming Ronnie's departure, today's show is available on Listen Again: http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen-again/episode/115629

Matt Scott says goodbye to Ronnie - click the 0700-0730 tab, between 29.20 and 29.40.
    Alan and Ronnie discuss Ronnie leaving the Sports Breakfast after six years - click the 0730-0800 tab, between 15.39 and 16.50.
    Ronnie's final Sports Breakfast sign-off - click the 0930-1000 tab, between 28.55 and the end.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    It's odd that H & J haven't mentioned Irani's departure at all. They certainly made a big thing about Parry leaving as did all the presenters.
  • Options
    matburmatbur Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Could do far worse than to get Beeky back for a few weeks to see how it goes. With the lack of football at this time of year, it could prove a tricky slot to fill.

I don't hate talksport as much as some do on here but really couldn't take to him.

Seen Bullard's name mentioned - I think he could quickly become boring if given a permanent spot.

Love him or loath him, Brazil's got character. What talksport need, is someone to get the best out of him; hence my call dor Beeky!
  • Options
    gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good Afternoon TalkSport believers:)

Another great day on the station. I enjoyed the great guests on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast with Ronnie Irani especially the knowledgeable Matt Scott. A wonderful listen and I am sure it will go from strength to strength in the future. I am very positive about things to come and I can't wait until 6AM tommorrow for another three hours of chat and banter with some witty sporting asided thrown in.:)

I loved the Andy Goldstein Sports Bar with Jason Cundy last night, I think the Wheel of Cundy and Crocodile Cundee are really good and make me laugh before I set my alarm for the early start for another full day of TalkSport.

Well done TalkSport, keep up the good work:)
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shylock wrote: »
    It's odd that H & J haven't mentioned Irani's departure at all. They certainly made a big thing about Parry leaving as did all the presenters.

No. He became persona non grata the day he left and was never mentioned. As for Irani, this is the most ignominious departure since Simon Stainrod, and I'm sure something apart from his appalling presentational skills prompted the instant removal
This discussion has been closed.