[Game] The Mix Factor 4: Live Show #1

Comments

• _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel Kramer

Rachel, if I'm brutally honest you were one of my least favourite acts from the line-up as you didn't really excite me in the way some of the other acts did. I therefore needed a really great performance from you to rocket you up in my expectations. I think this song suited you okay and I could imagine you performing it, but I kind of wanted a little more from you to dispel my feelings towards you before this performance. Also I don't know if it's just me, but parts of this song seem a little auto tuned so therefore it makes it hard to imagine you performing this live. Overall I don't think this was too bad a song choice though.
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rachel Kramer

In the words of Nicole, I don't know what the smack-talking is about cause Rachel, I really enjoyed the song choice and it did get me dancing in my chair. However that's not my main concern as it's about the strength of your voice. Right now, I felt the song showed your strengths and weaknesses of what you can do. Yes it was a bit predictable, choosing a Leona song but we can let that slide and I hope your mentor focuses on your strengths cause you could be a darkhorse. Well done for now.
  • EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, not the best comments over 25s mentor Stephen could have hoped to get for his act. Will the public back Rachel tonight or will this be both her first and her last performance?

It's time for the boys again. He was Soppyfan's wildcard choice, and he's singing the immensely popular song Beautiful Monster by Ne-Yo, it's Kelvin Muis everyone!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J2dwFVZHsY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kelvin Muis

Welcome to the show Kelvin! I think this was a pretty good performance and the song suited you well, but I would refer back to my comments for Mo for the criticism, and I'd say that it applies to this choice even more. I just think this song itself doesn't really excite me too much as I've heard it so many times before, and I probably personally would have chosen Ne-Yo for you as his vocals appear to be a little more high pitch than yours. I would like you to see a bit more from you in any future performances you may have!
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelvin Muis: What is with everyone choosing predictable song choices by R & B artists tonight? Kelvin, this was again not a bad performance, though I think it did create something of an issue with your direction being not a million miles away from Mo's based on this song choice. If your mentor wanted to give you Ne-Yo though this wasn't the best week to choose it because I think this was just a really predictable middle of the road performance. I think, this would have been okay if you had found your footing in the competition but at this stage, I fear it may have put you in a vulnerable position.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelvin Muis

Kelvin, I wanted to find something that would be a challenge to begin with as you showed us that you are more of a jazz/soul singer but with a touch of other genres. Now after hearing this back...I actually now wonder if I had given the song to the wrong boy and that perhaps Mo should've had this song as it was more in line with his voice than yours. I really hope I haven't screwed it up with you already but I hope the public will give you and me a second chance to do a lot better. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As with Mo, the word 'predictability' popped up multiple times in the comments for Kelvin. The real question is whether the public are going to penalize him for that or not...

Back to Niall and the groups. Hoping to make an impact on The Mix Factor, it's One Direction singing Sun by Two Door Cinema Club!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_p634dVBHWU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction

I thought that was a brilliant performance from you One Direction! I chose this song for you as it let me explore more of the indie pop side to you that I wanted to show, whilst not deviating too much from you as a group. And whilst the vocals in this song are a little quirkier than your vocals, I think it's clear to me that the actual song itself suits you really well and I could completely imagine you giving a brilliant performance of it. Well done guys!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction

Well boys, a boy group singing a male group song does scream predictable, but at the same time, the song choice itself was not predictable as I had you down as a upbeat dance style group. But this was somewhat totally different and I found myself tapping my feet along to the song. Traditionally, you are not that much liked on DS games, but I expect you to stay for a long while and it'll be interesting to see what else your mentor does for you. Well done boys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction: Boys, this was actually quite good! I love Two Door as most people will know and I was slightly concerned that you guys were taking on a Two Door song but I think this was probably the best possible song for you five to cover. It's one of the most light, poppy songs by the group and I really do see where your mentor was coming from, perhaps Alex's voice is slightly quirkier than any of your voices but I still feel that you did a good job with the song, it was a strong performance and I'm excited to see where else your mentor will take you!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good comments for One Direction, which is quite an impressive feat as this forum is known to be quite 1D-unfriendly at times. Could they go all the way?

We're halfway there everyone! Kicking off the second half of tonight's performances, it's Karoline singing Stargazing by Tinashe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UIFswL6zG4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karoline

Welcome to the live shows Karoline! I think you're one of the more interesting acts in this competition so I was excited to see. I'll admit I wasn't a huge fan of the song itself, it just doesn't really do much for me and I don't think it goes anywhere. However I do think it suits you really well! At times the vocals seemed to be an exact match to yours, so well done to your mentor for finding a song that suits you so well vocally! Overall I think you did a good job with this performance!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karoline

Oh Karoline, I couldn't take my eyes off of that performance, but I am paying attention to the voice as this is what I'm here for. Whilst some would say that it may not go anywhere, there is an old saying that less is more and I was seeing more than what Niall was seeing. The song was stunning and your voice was amazing. That said and like Sarah Watson from Mix It Up, I hope you haven't peaked too early, but if this is the start, then goodness knows where you'll be in the shows to come. Terrific job, girl!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karoline: I chose this song in the mind of your very eery cover of 'As Long As You Love Me'. Those high vocals and the whole feel of the song made me think of this track which I think is another example of how you can absolutely blow the audience away. You put on a really strong performance but more than that, your voice which is itself quite high-pitched was really well suited to this song. You have the full package as a performer and I really enjoyed this performance, I think it's just one side to you and I'm sure we can reveal other sides to you as a singer in the coming weeks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another set of good comments for one of Kevin's girls, he seems to be on a roll tonight!

Anna Wilson is the next act to perform. The song her mentor picked for her is Just A Girl by No Doubt, but with a touch of P!nk added to it to spruce it up a bit!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HooHzLOOiHU
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anna Wilson

I was really excited to see you perform tonight Anna, and whilst this was quite different to what I was expecting to see from you tonight, I really enjoyed it! I love P!nk so I would be bound to love anything that she's involved in, but I think this was a really great choice for you both in terms of the artists singing it and the actual song. I can completely imagine you performing this on stage and completely bringing down the house. Well done, and I look forward to seeing more from you in this competition!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anna Wilson

Oh Anna for the first show, I had such high hopes for you when Stephen picked you for his category, however those hopes were completely dashed tonight. I wasn't a fan of the song choice as it didn't really match with your voice which has a form of something unique. Whilst I found the performance to be exactly what it needed, it just wasn't suited for you. I hope you get another chance as it would be sad to lose you tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay need to go for dinner now, should be back soon but please post my comments in my absence EOS :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    Okay need to go for dinner now, should be back soon but please post my comments in my absence EOS :)

No problem Nail, I will post your comments until you get back. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anna Wilson: Um Anna this was alright, I think that the style of Gwen Stefani is much more out there than you who have a very strong voice and if I'm being honest, I think it was a poor No Doubt song to showcase your vocals but you put on a performance and I think the live version helped me to visualise how you would perform this. It wasn't perfect, as I said, I feel that the song choice wasn't altogether amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixed comments for Anna Wilson there, how will this influence the votes for the beauty from New Zealand?

Ironically singing a song by someone who was a judge on the same X Factor Anna appeared on, it's Josh Brookes from the boys category singing Never Gonna Leave Your Side by Daniel Bedingfield.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAtgjg4BvFQ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Josh Brookes: I think this should have been unforgettable Josh but I couldn't help but sitting there thinking how much better you are than this song choice. Don't get me wrong, it was vocally impressive but for me, this felt like karaoke albeit very good karaoke. I was glad your mentor chose you as I do think you were the strongest boy in your category before you were kicked out and I do honestly feel like there's a lot of potential for you. However, you really need to be singing less forgettable, middle of the road songs and be taking on lesser known and more interesting songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josh Brookes

I actually enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would when I first saw the song choice! I'll admit I'm not the biggest fan of Daniel Bedingfield but I hadn't heard this particular song before and I don't think there's any denying that your vocals suit Daniel Bedingfield really well. I guess you're type of music isn't really my favourite which is why I don't get too excited over you, but that's not what these games are about so I shouldn't hold it against you. Well done!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Josh Brookes

Josh my man, you are the one I think everyone should keep an eye out on. This song was released in the Summer so it doesn't break the rules of the theme one bit. You've shown that you are amazing at upbeat but I wanted you to be given a chance to sing slow and here you were fantastic with the song choice. I feel so blessed to have picked you and whilst you did yourself no favors on the real show and being forced to leave, that will not be happening a second time on my watch. I'm proud of you tonight, Josh B.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixed comments for Josh B tonight as well. It seems that his mentor Soppyfan isn't doing as well here compared to a certain other game he's involved in. ;)

Time for the groups once again, indicating that we'll be at 75% after this performance. Ladies and gentlemen, it's Orpheus singing The Quest by Bryn Christopher!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-3FfOVuQ0