Thoughts on series 5

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello all,

I've finally got back around to posting on here after a truly chaotic series of crises. Lots of running. Having also caught up on the recent series, watching them all after broadcast so away from the hype, thought I might be able to provide a slightly different perspective (though, since I haven't read all the episode threads, I may of course be agreeing with you all). And you've all had time to think about it so may see things differently to me :)

Short summaries of my impressions of the important aspects below, I'll write what I think of each episode a bit later:

The Doctor: I like him. He's fun without seeming quite so ADHD as his last incarnation, and seems to have lost the mopiness (thank goodness). Definitely pulls off the old and young at the same time thing. Not as good as my favourite (9) but a big improvement on number 10. Does come over as a bit daft at times- but he seems more alien now, which is good. Hasn't really been tested over as much range as the two immediate predecessors though- I've yet to see much of the darker side of his personality. Not a criticism of the actor, the stories haven't been appropriate for much of that. I hope to see a bit more of that next time.

The TARDIS: Mixed emotions here. On the one hand, the new interior is great (no feelings either way about the new exterior), it makes me think sweet shop, cool gadgetry and climbing frame all rolled into one. Which is perfect. The down side is it doesn't seem as organic as the old 'theme', which was an aspect I liked, and it's a bit too polished. The TARDIS has been through a lot, and all the repair facilities presumably disappeared along with Gallifrey. So the interior could reflect this a bit more. Needs more duck tape (it's not science without tape).

The companion: Hmm. On the one hand, sassy, intelligent and very independant- all good things. On the other, treats her boyfriend like garbage. In fact the main thing I dislike about her is her relationship with Rory- it's just not believable. I believe he loves her and is completely devoted to her, and believed that she was a bit iffy about him- liked him, just wasn't sure if she liked him enough, thought she was settling for a substitute for the Doctor (very glad he isn't interested in her!)- all that I get. But when she supposedly realises how much she really loves him? Didn't ring true for a second. However, the dynamic is much better with the three of them I think. 7 year old Amelia was much more likeable than her older self, but maybe this will change now her messed up life has presumably been fixed.

The companion's boyfriend: Lovely. Treated terribly by just about everyone and everything (repeated deaths, domineering girlfriend, getting the Doctor instead of a stripper at his stag do) but puts up with it all and brings some wonderful comic moments to the team. Comes across as very earnest and thoughtful. I hope he stands up for himself more in the future, and becomes an indespensible part of the team- particularly if he really does have memories of 2000 years of life as an auton.

The Doctor's not-exactly-wife: I liked River Song when we first met her- she was a bit annoying, but such an interesting idea, and I really felt for her at the end of Forest of the Dead (which btw I think was quite horrible, not happy at all). She was irritating at the start of Time of Angels, but became very likeable throughout and clearly trusts the Doctor more than anything. I like that he's starting to trust her too, she seems very capable and it's nice to see she can fly the TARDIS. Still an interesting mystery, hope to find out more about her.

The general tone of the series: I liked the 'dark fairytale' vibe at first, but it got old quickly. There's some nice use of time travel messing with the order of things, which I always like, but also a few things that really jar. The story arc with the cracks was good, it tied together well. Liked the repeated appearances of previous Doctors, really emphasises that he's still the same man (despite what his last incarnation thought). The stories seemed mediocre (by new who standards, i.e. still better than many other things on tv)- they hit neither the highs nor the lows of previous series. It seemed more kiddy than the RTD era, though I'm not sure I can pinpoint exactly why- perhaps the lack of the darker elements. Or maybe too much silliness? Given all Moffat's previous stories rank among my favourites, I didn't like this as much as I expected to- but maybe that's just wanting too much.

Confidential- less tourism and more how the cool stuff was done please!

Comments

• davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I like your views and agree with most of them :)

However, I felt that Amy's love for Rory wasn't exposed during Amy's Choice, but in Cold Blood, when Rory lay dying. Pretty powerful stuff, which IMO made up for the "manufactured" realisation in AC.

As for the Tardis, I agree that it can't repair itself properly anymore, now that Gallifrey is gone. In case you hadn't noticed, the Tardis had to rebuild itself using typewriters and pinball machines in The Eleventh Hour! (I think that there were several typewriters & pinball machines in the depths of the Tardis, and the time machine had to incorporate them into the console instead of any "proper" machinery.)

Not that I mind. Pinball machines are cool :D
  • smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hell

Confidential- less tourism and more how the cool stuff was done please!

Absolutely agree with that, worst series yet of Confidential, for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the Tardis, I agree that it can't repair itself properly anymore, now that Gallifrey is gone. In case you hadn't noticed, the Tardis had to rebuild itself using typewriters and pinball machines in The Eleventh Hour! (I think that there were several typewriters & pinball machines in the depths of the Tardis, and the time machine had to incorporate them into the console instead of any "proper" machinery.)

Not that I mind. Pinball machines are cool :D

I like this idea. I wonder what else is lurking in the backs of cupboards somewhere in the Tardis? Clockwork here, laser there...
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The writing in the first episode reminds me of an episode of Coupling. A wanking character also called Jeff is it. The overuse of the name Jeff suggests a lack of imagination.

This has to be the worst series as I stopped watching and I very much doubt will buy the box set as I hated it.

Bring back RTD.
  • JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, an episode of Coupling with a giant eye.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, Series 5 was overall the best series of New Who thus far.

However, imo no story in Series 5 was as good as any of those written by Moffat for Series 1 to 4.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The overuse of the name Jeff suggests a lack of imagination.

Bring back RTD.
    RTD - who deliberately re-uses character names in order to get a handle on the character.
    This has to be the worst series as I stopped watching and I very much doubt will buy the box set as I hated it.
    Yes.... I think the episodes I didn't watch were the worst too.
  • JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, Series 5 was overall the best series of New Who thus far.

However, imo no story in Series 5 was as good as any of those written by Moffat for Series 1 to 4.

That's a really good description, I did enjoy it though.
    RTD - who deliberately re-uses character names in order to get a handle on the character.

That's just made me laugh a lot. Thanks for that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with this- but I don't think any story was as bad as the worst ones of the previous few series (and specials) either.

Series 1 remains my favourite.
  • reeleyreeley Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    OK, I am reeling have just finished a rewatch through nuwho series 1 to 5, specials and confidentials.

Seeing them all close together i saw the dynamic grow and these are my comments.

Chris E - Oh boy would he have been the best Doctor Ever if he had just stayed another series.

David T - Started poorly and then as the Rose Dynamic gelled he became good, and then he became bad and was totally out performed by Catherine Tate. In the Series 4 specials he was just awful, and I mean really really awful.

Matt S - Slow burning I think. I really like the way he has grabbed the role and run with it (well, perhaps jogged with it :D) Has the potential, with some clever writting, to be the best Doctor. Certainly already better than David was in S 4.

Billy P. - Really grew to like her and her family and felt they added to the whole whoniverse. Sadly Billy's acting in S4 left a bit to be desired, it was as if she had somehow had a dental crisis, her mouth just looked wrong, and her speech was awry. The storylines were OK in S4, just her delivery slightly tarnished what she had achieved in S1/2

Freema A. - Yeah, probably a good actress, but she had poor material to work with and her family never really worked for me. Series 3 just didn't really work well for me, I think some of it was down to Martha Jones. Shame.

Catherine T. - Blimey ! That girl can act! The family worked well too, Bernard is just class. All in all, I think that she contributed to elevating the series to a new high.

Karen G. - I am likeing her. She is easy on the eye, a bit easier than some on the ears, and seems to play her role with ease. As with Catherine and David I think that Karen and Matt are more together than individually and I truly look forward to the further developing of this twosome.

Arthur D - Not sure I like how Rory is written, and would be interested to hear a psychologist comment on the hidden angst in SM ;) - But very well acted and provides a nice new dynamic.

RTD - (expecting diatribe from you know who) - Well, thank you Russell. RTD bought the show back and it is great and I thoroughly enjoyed most of it. There were some real low points, (The specials in S4 were amongst the lowest, and then there is THAT Peter Kay episode), and then there were some tremendous highs, ( I cried again in Doomsday at the Bad Wolf Bay scene, I am a 55 year old man for Christ Sake!!!!!!) Overall, a roller coaster ride, some very very good moments, some very bad ones, but an overwhelming feeling of Joy that my favourite TV programme had been revitalised so successfully.

SM - hhmm. Jury still out. A ride on a much more even keel than the RTD seasons, the highs not so high, the lows not so low. Seems genuinley to love the programme, but not sure if there is a sense of as much fun in it as when RTD was showrunner. Certainly from watching Confidentials, it seems a little less fun behind the scenes. Perhaps his skills lay more in writing, or in showrunning, but not both at the same time?

Julie vs Beth - too soon to comment. Cat fight would be good though.......

Confidential - oh dear. The series narrated by Antony S Head was the best. This last series was a bit too much of a comic and it was as if they had actually run out of ideas. I think confidential is a great concept and I really wish that the BBC would do it for some of my other favourite progs, (like Spooks)

SO, there we are. Series 5. I think that it is good, it is up there with the best (parts of series 1 and 4) and way ahead of the worst (series 3) and has great potential, it just needs that little something extra to make it truly great.

Phew, having watched all of the nuWho and confidentials, a few days off I think, and then a rewatch of either BSG complete or Spooks series 1 - 8 complete, decisions, decisions. God, I love DVD box sets :D:D:D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I completely disagree with you. Obviously the episodes I didn't watch were by far the worst.

The ones you didn't watch were the best ones;)

I'm glad to see its not just me that thinks Confidential is not as good this year. I posted this ages ago and got shouted down.
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely disagree with you. Obviously the episodes I didn't watch were by far the worst.

The ones you didn't watch were the best ones;)

I'm glad to see its not just me that thinks Confidential is not as good this year. I posted this ages ago and got shouted down.

Granny, we all know you watched all of them, so please don't turn this into a Big Bang type paradox.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Granny, we all know you watched all of them, so please don't turn this into a Big Bang type paradox.

LOL...I was just trying to turn it into a normal "I completely disagree with you" thread.;):D
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    I have only seen some of the recent confidentials and about five minutes of one of the previous ones (torching Davros' basement flat) so haven't got anything to base a view on. I therefore completely disagree with anyone who's ever had an opinion on anything.

I liked the trip round Venice and the Greenwich stuff. Very Blue Peter (is that still good?). Quite liked some of the tricks of the trade stuff. Less pleased with backslapping and actors doing PR. And bored when they just keep padding with clips from the episode itself.

My lifetime tolerance for behind the scenes tales may have been all used up by the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVDs. By the time I found myself watching a "How we made the Gollum statue that came with your boxset" behind the scenes DVD I realised I had gone quite insane with it all.
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL...I was just trying to turn it into a normal "I completely disagree with you" thread.;):D

No you weren't :p:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I
    My lifetime tolerance for behind the scenes tales may have been all used up by the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVDs. By the time I found myself watching a "How we made the Gollum statue that came with your boxset" behind the scenes DVD I realised I had gone quite insane with it all.

Yes! I identify completely with this:D
    Webslark wrote: »

I most certainly was, and i will not have my integrity questioned in this manner;)

Er...what was the thread about, again?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! I identify completely with this:D

I most certainly was, and i will not have my integrity questioned in this manner;)

Er...what was the thread about, again?

18 posts, so far ;)

And I'll question anyone's integrity who appears so rational and sensible! :p (obviously NOT a proper Doctor Who fan :rolleyes:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    18 posts, so far ;)

And I'll question anyone's integrity who appears so rational and sensible! :p (obviously NOT a proper Doctor Who fan :rolleyes:)

I'll take that as a compliment:)

Coming from a Goon fan......an expert in rationality and sense:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll take that as a compliment:)

Coming from a Goon fan......

Whatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhat!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhatwhat!!!!

LOL...I'm not starting that again. Anyway I exhausted my repertoire of quotes last time:)
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Season 5 is the best since the show came back and is better then the majority of the eighties.

Towards the end of Tennants run I was begging for the end, under Smith I cant get enough of it.

Totally different league.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is this the right room for an argument? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Season 5 is the best since the show came back and is better then the majority of the eighties.

Towards the end of Tennants run I was begging for the end, under Smith I cant get enough of it.

Isn't that odd? I spent DTs era wishing for more and by "Vampires of Venice" of MSs era I was begging for the finale. The later half of the series was (Spoken gayly) rub-bish!

Isn't it great how different we all are? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Now I really do disagree:)

But I'm glad you liked it. Not that I disliked it, I just didn't like it as much as earlier series.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »

Are you sure that feature actually existed on the DVD, or could you have gone insane before that?

Personally, I think we need a programme showing us how they make Doctor Who Confidential.