Options

Obtaining a phone contract with no credit rating

outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
Forum Member
Help i need some advice, i am a british national but have lived abroad in europe for many years
My son will attending university in the uk sept and i want to get him an iphone with a monthly contract.
I do have a uk bank account registered at a uk address for many years, if i enter on line theese detials will it be acceptable..i am concerned because i dont have a uk credit card and i suspect no credit rating.
If not does anyone have any suggestions as to the best deals or is buying a phone and pay as you go the only option?
Also do any of these monthly contracts allow any phone calls to europe within the tariff
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't have to be pay as you go. You can buy the phone and a sim-only contract. Sim-only usually has much lower credit score requirements.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    If you get a tesco mobile sim only and ask for a cap on out of bundle costs (say £5-£10) they don't credit check you. Other networks may do the same.
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be pay as you go. You can buy the phone and a sim-only contract. Sim-only usually has much lower credit score requirements.

I think a bigger barrier than the credit check will be the difficulty of passing the ID check, due to not having an established UK address.
  • Options
    de525made525ma Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Use http://www.noddle.co.uk to get a free credit report to check if you are worried....
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,794
    Forum Member
    de525ma wrote: »
    Use http://www.noddle.co.uk to get a free credit report to check if you are worried....

How is someone living abroad going to get a UK credit report?
  • Options
    stephen122333stephen122333 Posts: 912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could your son not take out the phone in his name/address and then you pay the bill (once the phone is all set up you could even change it your you bank account)
  • Options
    outof theparkoutof thepark Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    could your son not take out the phone in his name/address and then you pay the bill (once the phone is all set up you could even change it your you bank account)
    I think i will face the same problems to be honest of no credit rating and no established history of address
    prking wrote: »
    How is someone living abroad going to get a UK credit report?
    I did live in the uk at one time but i think the history is too old now to have any relevence, so i agree with you.

Thanks for the advice folks i think getting a normal phone/contract is going to be difficult.

i do think best option is to buy a phone and look into a low-cost sym contract, where maybe i can get away with a uk family members address where i have a financial history.

I presume this problem will go away with time when my son establishes a credit rating in the uk:)
  • Options
    lee18xxlee18xx Posts: 2,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My credit history is absolutely shocking. Though I managed to get an iPhone 5s with three last month (and I've messed them around highly in the past)....seems their criteria is quite low. Try online to save the embarrassment of being rejected in store ;-)
  • Options
    Bliss_LightBliss_Light Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    No, calls to other countries in Europe or outside Europe won't be included in any inclusive bundle.