Options

Multiple problems with my Amstrad HD box

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
Forum Member
I'm having all sorts of problems with my old Amstrad (HD) box. I'm wondering if it is time to save up for a new one....

I've done a full reset - HDD wiped - on the box but it didn't help at all, unfortunately.

The most annoying problem is lip sync - audio is quite often behind video, so I can't use the audio delay options on the box or on the TV to do anything about it. It mostly happens on high bitrate programs, and is particularly bad on ITV HD for some reason.

I've switched off all picture processing options on the TV (a relatively modern Samsung 42in) , and have tried different HDMI cables, disabled audio processing, changed from Dolby to mono.. every combination I could think of, but it doesn't help.

Audio from my BR player is perfectly in sync, always. And I've tried changing which of the two HDMI sockets the Sky box is plugged into and that doesn't make any difference.

But aside from that, I also suffer from:

Frequent audio dropouts lasting about 1 second on downloaded programs, but only if they are from the BBC, and most often immediately after a high contrast scene change.

Relatively often, playback of a recorded program stops and a notice saying "We cannot play this recording" appears. If I ignore it, it starts playing again (but with a big gap).

I also get regular playback freezes on downloaded programs (any channel). I have to stop, go back to the Planner, and play again.

Lip sync often goes totally nuts if I dare to fast forward or rewind a recorded program

The box becomes unresponsive when selecting the Recommended section, but after a while comes to life again, and shows a selection of programs.

The Buy and Keep section is usually missing, but when it does make an appearance it will only have Transformers and possibly one other film in it :-) If I try selecting one, it will say "No programs of this type".

Like I say, I've done a full reset - everything got wiped as expected, but it made no difference at all.

If it is of any significance, the box version number is 4F3006 (isn't that the firmware?) and the model number is R010.070.86.00P.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Is there anything I've not tried that might help?

Thanks!

Faris.

Comments

• Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello

I am not an expert on this in any way, but it sounds as if you have a broadband issue here.

If you have already "rebuilt" the box, it sounds like your broadband is too slow. The problem can occur with broadband if your router needs a refresh as it can slow down.

It will normally go back to normal again if you turn off your router and then turn itback on again after about 30 seconds. Just unplug it and then plug back in again and see if it resets the broadband. You may then have a better result.

Which service provider are you with? Sky boxes will work with any - but if you are not with Virgin Media, any other provider will ride piggy back on the BT network as far as I know. Virgin has its own network.

Give your modem a reboot and see if that helps. OK?
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a lot of the problems described are unrelated to broadband connections.
    You say you did a reset, was that from the installers' menu?
    If so, try doing a reset by pulling the power out, waiting a minute or two, and then holding down the left and right arrow buttons on top of the box.
    Hold the buttons while you re-apply the power, and you should eventually see the playback indicator "ring" all light up, this may take a while so be patient!
    When the lights comes on, release the buttons, then press the select button on the box.
    The ring of lights should now spin backwards.
    Wait until it completes, which again can take a while.
    This is I think a more full and drastic reset than the software triggered version.
    If that does no good, then I do think you need a new box!
    :)
  • Options
    Kane_SmithKane_Smith Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    Going to be honest, it sounds like your Amstrad HD Box is on it's way out, call up Sky.

Other Possibilities:
    1, HDD is giving out, this can happen anytime, it's technology it isn't going to last forever.

2, Your TV's refresh rate is too slow, this can affect audio and video sync in some cases but not all.

3, Your Dish needs realigning, even wind thrashing it's way through a dish wile it's recording a live program or even downloading a software patch while you're not using your Sky Box can also affect it's software on the box to glitch out and not work properly,

4, Could just be your box alone that's glitching out, download the updated firmware for the EPG, refer to the internet on how to do it on your model box.

5, Non of the above? You may just need to upgrade your box, call Sky for a Sky+ HD Box.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    kenedinkenedin Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    faris wrote: »

......If it is of any significance, the box version number is 4F3006 (isn't that the firmware?) and the model number is R010.070.86.00P...........

Your box is an old Amstrad DRX780 and the software is out of date. Suggest you update. Read the article on audio dropouts with this model: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-boxes/Sound-Drop-Outs-DRX780/m-p/2270804
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Thanks to everybody for all their input.

I did use the Installer menu to do the reset, not the button-holding version. Is it really that different? I not have a load of stuff I'd rather not have to watch in a hurry before I wipe everything again :-)

The most interesting point is about the software being out of date ... that really surprised me but then again it is quite a recent update as far as I can see from that notice.

I'll do that update, and see if it might fix one of the other issues else as well.

The refresh on the TV is dictated by the source signal, isn't it? I think I've fiddled around with the settings on the sky box, and the only one that looks good is the highest resolution one, whatever that it (1080?) (the TV is Full HD).

The sat signal level and quality both look good to me on both feeds, so I'm going to hope that the dish is reasonably aligned.

Are the newer HD boxes significantly faster than my old Amstrad? More disk space is all well and good, but really I just want a more snappy response from the GUI.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    The current Sky branded boxes are significantly faster than all of their predecessors.
    :)