Options

Internet Security Providers

daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
Forum Member
My Internet security is due for renewal and I'm wondering whether or not to change
Providers. I have had Norton 360 for several years, looking aroúnd for the best price rather than using auto renewal which is easy but very expensive. Trouble is, Norton appears to have discontinude Norton 360 and replaced it with Norton Security with Back up and has to be installed because it is a different product. The feedback on Amazon is not good, whilst many of the issues raised in feedback has been explained on the Norton Forum, one thing that stil bothers me is that apparently it takes up a lot of disc space and slows down computer speed.
So I have been looking at alternatives and came across Bitdefender Internet Security 2015, which retails around £17.50 but it only covers 1 pc. It has been highly praised as doing everything that the bigger companies do, but is light on disc space.
Any other recomendations please?

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do a search you'll see this has come up on here many times before. You don't have to pay for AV. Avira, Avast, Panda or AVG along with the Windows Firewall is enough for most folk and it's all free.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do online banking with Barclays they will supply you with Kapersky free of charge.
    I personally just use the free for home use Panda Cloud Antivrus.
    http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/forHome/
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BitDefender do a free version for home use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you do online banking with Barclays they will supply you with Kapersky free of charge.
    I personally just use the free for home use Panda Cloud Antivrus.
    http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/forHome/

Norton do have a great help forum, do these free ones also have help forums and is back up available?
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    Norton do have a great help forum, do these free ones also have help forums and is back up available?
    freebie one I use, Comodo Internet Security Premium certainly does have help forum & there are lots of free backup programs out there + there will be enough free backup space available in 'cloud' for those who want it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm tempted to use kapersky and buy the one for 5 computers which is only £9.99 per annum. Anyone on here using it?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted to use kapersky and buy the one for 5 computers which is only £9.99 per annum. Anyone on here using it?

:confused:

I assume you mean Kaspersky? So where is this product because I can't find it on their website?

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/

Unless that is the licence renewal after you have bought the initial product (which is £44 for Kaspersky Internet Security) but even so I can't find any mention of how much a licence renewal costs.

I can find subscription versions of KIS and Kaspersky AntiVirus but neither of those is a tenner a year. More like 40 or 50 quid a year for 5 PCs.

I use Kaspersky Internet Security on my laptop. Mind you I get if free with Barclays online banking so never get to see how much it costs to renew :)

It is a very good product and usually scores well in comparative tests.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    freebie one I use, Comodo Internet Security Premium certainly does have help forum & there are lots of free backup programs out there + there will be enough free backup space available in 'cloud' for those who want it

this is the one i now use again, I used if a few years back but it was not great. But now it is fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it was on my brothers new laptop, but it seemed to be pretty slow, changed it for comodo and it runs nice now.
    Anyway would you really trust Kapersky?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    it was on my brothers new laptop, but it seemed to be pretty slow, changed it for comodo and it runs nice now.
    Anyway would you really trust Kapersky?
    If Barclays bank trust them that's a good enough recommendation wouldn't you think?
  • Options
    Boneman1946Boneman1946 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    If Barclays bank trust them that's a good enough recommendation wouldn't you think?

Hardly :o I wonder who is paying who for that arrangement?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100% agree. Just because a company use a product do not mean it is to be trusted.
    Money talks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    100% agree. Just because a company use a product do not mean it is to be trusted.
    Money talks
    Well done .. You've managed to derail the thread and cast aspersions on one of the better antivirus products on the market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done .. You've managed to derail the thread and cast aspersions on one of the better antivirus products on the market.

Who says it is better?

i still prefer comodo myself, but it will not work with windows 10, in fact very few do. I have the free bitdefender on at the moment, but it is only a anti virus.