Creating a database on Excel/Word??

Just wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm not particularly savvy using excel but I need to create a database.

It's quite straight forward but I'm not sure how to go about it and just wondering if anyone can offer some clear guidance?

Essentially, it would contain a multiple list of items and each item would have several logged and dated records next to it, which would be on an ongoing basis.

Word would be easier but I don't think such a function exists on there.

Thanks for reading, anyone? :confused:

Comments

• matburmatbur Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I should have added that I need the 'item' field to be easily searchable and maybe sorted by another defining field, if that's possible. Something like:

ITEM | ITEM TYPE | MULTIPLE ENTRY NOTES
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure you understand what a database is so you may well have bitten off more than you can chew.
    Excel can proxy as a flat file database. Word is of no use at all.
    If you want a MS product, then there is Access or open source Libre Office that includes Base.

The last 2 will give you a relational database that will allow you to create various tables, maintain them and join tables and extract information.

It's not something that you can just pick up, it needs a lot of understanding and planning. Particularly over what tables to create, what data to hold, what type of data each table will hold, what unique (key) fields you want, how tables are related, how you will get the data in and how you get it out.

From what you have said, you could have
    items table - holds basic details of the item, part number, size, colour, some sort of unique reference
    notes table - holds details of notes - author, date, text
    notes/items lookup table - holds details of items linked to a note

Then from that you could run a query using a graphical interface to get your item list sorted to your requirement.

Basic intro here for a flavour http://www.quackit.com/database/tutorial/
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MS Access is what I would use, depending on what operations you want to perform on the data Excel might be enough. There is also free express edition of MS SQL Server. That would be a proper database then, put probably a learning curve would be too steep.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    matbur wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have added that I need the 'item' field to be easily searchable and maybe sorted by another defining field, if that's possible. Something like:

ITEM | ITEM TYPE | MULTIPLE ENTRY NOTES

You can do that with Excel with those column headings. If you 'Format as Table' then you will be able to sort, filter and search per column.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doing stuff in excel etc can be ok when its only a small number of records but when it gets larger you need the proper tools

and spend a bit of time looking at normalising databases as it'll save you loads of time later on
  • matburmatbur Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the help and advice - much appreciated. I've just skim read them as I'm away but will have a proper look over the weekend.

Cheers for this!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Excel is fine for a few hundred records in a single table and is easier to get started with than Access or SQL Server if you are just starting out and have no experience. If your "database" does evolve to something more sophisticated then it is fairly easy to migrate to a proper DBMS.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another option is the free version of Zoho Creator. If nothing else, it's really good for making prototype databases and trying different ideas out, as its very simple to use.