Options

The Avengers 1960s

Hi just to let you know The Avengers with Patrick Macnee starts on True Entertainment Monday at 8pm - not sure which episode they're starting with, EPG doesn't state that yet...

Comments

• Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that! I loved The Avengers in the 60's.......I only remember Emma Peel (the gorgeous Diana Rigg) and Tara King (Linda Thorson) - and 'Mother' .
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    "I would have run, but as you can see I'm all tied up" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKKeVtWDEPw
  • Options
    ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    I think I read somewhere they're starting from Series 2 - apologies, don't know where I read that. If that's true - has that series ever been repeated? Maybe on Bravo in the 90's?
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    The Sky guide description is confusing. David Keel was only in the first series, and he didn't have any female assistants.

The original Avengers series and the first not to have been lost. Follow the suave British spy Dr. David Keel and his charismatic female assistances take on the nebulous world of crime and espionage.
  • Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ccb2011 wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere they're starting from Series 2 - apologies, don't know where I read that. If that's true - has that series ever been repeated? Maybe on Bravo in the 90's?

Someone's got a good memory :)

And it'll be the first chance that anyone without a subscription will have had to see any of the VT episodes being broadcast in the UK since the season of twelve episodes that Channel 4 repeated back in 1993.
  • Options
    ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Do you reckon some of the episodes will be edited? Looking at episode lengths on BBFC for DVD releases, some of early episodes are up to 53 mins long! If they're cut - fair enough, at least we get to see them
  • Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you reckon some of the episodes will be edited? Looking at episode lengths on BBFC for DVD releases, some of early episodes are up to 53 mins long!

Almost guaranteed, I suspect :(
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had it on series record for a few days
    The lack of descriptions fail to mentio what series it is being shown from.

However i do love the programming True entertainment are showing. They are also showing Touched by an angel as well.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently two episodes from series 1 still exist, so perhaps these are being shown first?

The later series on film and colour are stunning quality and would look amazing on an HD channel. The BBC showed them some years ago in SD and they were better than some of their then new HD programmes.

So far as I know no HD channel has ever aired these.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up. I enjoyed those C4 showed way back - I'm not sure I've seen many of the very early black and white ones.:)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

That would be great as I've never seen any of those although I did see one of the two remaining Season 1 episodes a few years ago on Channel 4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to the True channels twitter feed they are starting with Season 4 which was the last season made in b/w and the first season to feature Mrs Peel.

@TrueChannels · 2 hours ago

The 1st series not lost to us all (the first three original series have all been lost) of the one and only AVENGERS start tonight on #Truent

This is rubbish as the 2nd and 3rd seasons are available on DVD
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, the Emma peel seasons are regarded as the best and most popular seasons of the show. That was really when the show was it's highest peak. They may be why they have skipped the previous seasons.

The avengers's episodes are so self contained, you can watch the show from any season and not feel confused on what has occured before.
  • Options
    MikeAP001MikeAP001 Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, the Emma peel seasons are regarded as the best and most popular seasons of the show. That was really when the show was it's highest peak. They may be why they have skipped the previous seasons.

The avengers's episodes are so self contained, you can watch the show from any season and not feel confused on what has occured before.

If it's like the Avengers that are shown in reruns in the States, it'll start with Cathy Gale (and in more than one episode Steed had a male sidekick before her), then there will come the Emma Peel Avengers. So far, I haven't run into Tara King, yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't necessarily object to them starting with the Mrs Peel episodes. I just wish they'd done their research vis a vis what seasons are missing
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come True Entertainment dont like series link then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brian Clemens, writer and producer of many Avengers episodes has died aged 83

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30775352
  • Options
    io1901io1901 Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    The Sky guide description is confusing. David Keel was only in the first series, and he didn't have any female assistants.

The original Avengers series and the first not to have been lost. Follow the suave British spy Dr. David Keel and his charismatic female assistances take on the nebulous world of crime and espionage.

Big Finish are doing the first series as a audio drama.
  • Options
    barclay55barclay55 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who writes the EPGs, why are they so misleading/completely wrong as obviously this one is?
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    How come True Entertainment dont like series link then?

Was wondering that myself having just discovered they are running this. Pretty basic stuff I'd have thought.
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While Honor Blackman was good as Cathy Gale, IMHO Diana Rigg was the best.
  • Options
    Cornish AndyCornish Andy Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Just a heads-up. It seems that The Avengers is finally getting a high definition release on Blu Ray, starting with season 4 (the first season shot on film) in the UK and season 5(the first season shot in colour) in the US.

I understand the US release is already out, and according to Amazon the UK gets season 4 at the end of February :).
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoying the Avengers on True Entertainment. Last weeks and this weeks very good!
  • Options
    simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was anyone else counting the near-identical characters & situations in last night's/today's episode with a certain Dr Who story?;-)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    Was anyone else counting the near-identical characters & situations in last night's/today's episode with a certain Dr Who story?;-)

Not seen it yet, but the similarities and likely reason are pointed up here :)

I've not seen "The seeds of doom" since its original outing, so I doubt I'll be spotting much.:D

Of course the Jon Pertwee era of Doctor Who was quite influenced by shows like The Avengers and The Prisoner. This did tail off a bit by Tom Bakers time though.