Options

Microsoft To Bring Back Hotmail and ditch Outlook.com.

According to to this article Hotmail will be doing a comeback -

http://www.therem.org/microsoft-to-bring-back-hotmail-with-windows-10/1222777/

I've always thought it was a mistake to replace Hotmail with Outlook.com to be honest. Hotmail sounds better than Outlook.com and it's what people associate with Microsoft Email services online. The brand was built up over the decades and was a silly move to drop it.

Look's like they've seen sense and doing another U-Turn, like they did with the Start Menu on windows.

Comments

• Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hotmail worked fine on sfandard web browser. Outlook needs extra software running on client computer .... probably the reason ......
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    outlook integrates with other microsoft office products but needs special software whereas hotmail worked without that .....
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That will confuse people again.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    As long as I can keep both my old hotmail and newer outlook ids I do no really care what they call it.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    outlook integrates with other microsoft office products but needs special software whereas hotmail worked without that .....

No, outlook.com is just another domain name. It is not the same as the Office Outlook email client.

I wish Microsoft would realise what confusion they cause when they call different things by the same name.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    hotmail worked fine on sfandard web browser. Outlook needs extra software running on client computer .... probably the reason ......

I did not need any special software. Or did I already have it? :confused: As for changing it again, yes they should make up their name and stay with it, but they just use aliases.
  • Options
    simmersimmer Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like outlook. It's clean, fast and I prefer the name over Hotmail.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres obviously plenty of rebranding going on over at MS, they probably want to seperate the HM to the public and outlook back to a more business view
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    No, outlook.com is just another domain name. It is not the same as the Office Outlook email client.

I wish Microsoft would realise what confusion they cause when they call different things by the same name.
    You would have thought they would have learned from Outlook and Outlook Express.
  • Options
    neil79neil79 Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Hotmail :) The spam app of the internet :D

It's a tough call between Hotmail & Gmail for the most useless email service :)
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

Maybe that's why they are doing it. They seem to be undoing a few things that happened at the end of Balmer's era.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    As long as I can keep both my old hotmail and newer outlook ids I do no really care what they call it.

I have never bothered with the outlook ID, it is the same as my hotmail Id anyway, apart from having outlook on the end.

TBH, I do not really bother with hotmail anyway,
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I'll be honest and put my hands up, I still type "hotmail.co.uk" into my browser to get to my emails.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    I'll be honest and put my hands up, I still type "hotmail.co.uk" into my browser to get to my emails.

Similarly, I still type mail.live.com to get to my inbox.

I'm still one of those who wishes MSN Messenger was still around, however redundant it may now appear.