Options

Eastenders - Episode with only black characters

summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
Forum Member
A couple of years ago I remember there was an episode in which all the main characters were black. I was just wondering if this was a deliberate move by EE to have an "all black cast" episode, or if it was just a coincidence that all the characters who were needed for that episode happened to be black?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    summer_ste wrote: »
    A couple of years ago I remember there was an episode in which all the main characters were black. I was just wondering if this was a deliberate move by EE to have an "all black cast" episode, or if it was just a coincidence that all the characters who were needed for that episode happened to be black?

it was on purpose i think...
  • Options
    Syn22Syn22 Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Don't know but I can remember not even noticing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC claimed it was a coincidence but frankly I dont see how it could have been. Seeing as most of the ep was about racism and it was a soap 'first'.

I guess they thought they would come under fire if they said they did it on purpose, or if they said they didnt so just said they didnt as that would be less inflamatory.

It coincided with the McPherson Report on institutional racism in the Met so I guess they didnt want to be seen as having a dig at the police?
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Syn22 wrote: »
    Don't know but I can remember not even noticing.

I remember all the things I don't notice too. ;)
  • Options
    Syn22Syn22 Posts: 459
    Forum Member

Before it was newsworthy of course.
  • Options
    Mozza111Mozza111 Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    they had an all female episode a few years ago, but i didn't realise till i read it on here
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is, if they had an episode of all white people, it'd be racist...
  • Options
    snickerdoodlesnickerdoodle Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

well people actually did complain..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see why. I happen to think that blacks and whites should be treated the SAME...Equal rights is great but that doesn't mean putting black people above white people. It means giving BOTH races equal opportunities and discriminating against either one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes affirmative action is justified, and I think this episode of EE was one such time. Black characters are underrepresented and it was a great episode, interesting to hear about Patricks time in the 1950s.

I'd much rather watch that then Tyler Moon making a cup of tea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes affirmative action is justified, and I think this episode of EE was one such time. Black characters are underrepresented and it was a great episode, interesting to hear about Patricks time in the 1950s.

Hmmm I suppose you're right.
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member

What do you mean "underrepresented"? In proportion to what? The general population or the actual ethnic make-up of that area of London?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    :D

Anyway, I thought the episode was quite unnecessary. It was obviously done on purpose. I remember the episode being quite an interesting one, but I didn't see the point of the whole "Oh look, every character is black, isn't that great!" thing. It was somewhat patronizing.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd that some people are speculating whether it was a coincidence. It was no coincidence - it was planned that way (I mean, the script was written, the actors called in to tape their scenes, etc. These things aren't just random.) The show's press office did say that the episode "has an all black cast on screen."

This review describes the contents of the episode. The episode's story explicitly addresses race. http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/25/eastenders-black-tv-review

Deeper examination of the episode http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1153903/BBCs-black-episode-EastEnders-watched-8-4million-viewers.html

News on the episode's ratings http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/feb/25/tv-ratings-eastenders-black-cast
  • Options
    Seamus2008Seamus2008 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is, the BBC didn't advertise it as an "all black cast", for them it was a normal episode.
    In the context of the storylines, it made perfect sense and I was shocked that some people complained about it. :eek:

It's only the press who exagerated it though. To be honest, EastEnders made soap history once again and I reckon TPTB handled it very well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Why?:confused:
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't notice it at the time either! Only when people mentioned it on here!
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

thereare always episodes with all white people so i dont get your point. whites are the majority.
  • Options
    Eve3275Eve3275 Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it done for Black History Month or something like that? It was boring anyway, IIRC - too much Chelsea and Theo. As for the all female ep mentioned earlier on in the thread I can't say I even noticed it, considering the men take a back seat 90% of the time in EE anway.
  • Options
    ManOfEastManOfEast Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember caring tbh.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seamus2008 wrote: »
    The thing is, the BBC didn't advertise it as an "all black cast", for them it was a normal episode.
    In the context of the storylines, it made perfect sense and I was shocked that some people complained about it. :eek:

It's only the press who exagerated it though. To be honest, EastEnders made soap history once again and I reckon TPTB handled it very well.

This. I thought it was a great but I have always loved Patrick so anytime he is EE I pretty much lap it up, he is fantastic :)
    I also didn't really notice until I heard about complains...I don't why their was tbh :confused::rolleyes:
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

Absolutely as they do with the Indian TV channels and Black only magazines in the US - not racist at all - I think we led to believe that it's educating us :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe anyone complained. It was appropriate for the episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Sorry I disagree, and it's called positive discrimination which merely serves to fuel the fire further
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't believe anyone complained. It was appropriate for the episode.

Maybe it's because if it was an episode about 'white supremacy' everyone else would have been up in arms.