Options

Would you be happy for your partner to go on holiday without you?

TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've won a 2 week break in Las Vegas. 2 people. :)

Thing is, the friend who'd most enjoy it is married. We've been away before, but for a couple of days at most - golfing trips, football matches. That sort of thing.

What's the etiquette here?

He'd say yes like a shot without even thinking... which is what worries me tbh. :D Would you be alright with your partner going away without you for a couple of weeks or would you secretly despise the person stealing them from you and plot their demise?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    I'd have no problem with my OH going on a holiday with his mates - I'd be glad to be rid of him for a while to be honest :D I've been on 3 holidays without him and he's not minded - means he can play as much Xbox as he likes and eat pizza for days on end, without bothering to have a shave or a shower.

But I know some of my friends (both male and female) would rather just go on holidays with their partners - probably because of money, they'd rather spend their holiday budget on a joint break. Obviously that doesn't apply in your situation.

Hope you have a fab time!
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,520
    Forum Member
    I'll go
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be sticking pins in a Tinpot voodoo doll.

No seriously, I'd be jealous as hell of him getting to go to Las Vegas but I wouldn't be annoyed. I'd enjoy the peace and quiet for 2 weeks to be honest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have no problem with my OH going on a holiday with his mates - I'd be glad to be rid of him for a while to be honest :D I've been on 3 holidays without him and he's not minded - means he can play as much Xbox as he likes and eat pizza for days on end, without bothering to have a shave or a shower.

But I know some of my friends (both male and female) would rather just go on holidays with their partners - probably because of money, they'd rather spend their holiday budget on a joint break. Obviously that doesn't apply in your situation.

Hope you have a fab time!

EEEEWWWWW aren't boys ikky? lol I think thats just what Mr Candy would do.

However Its not that I would mind him going away, as such. However I WOULD be very jealous that he got to go to vegas and I did'nt!! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have a problem with it. My OH went to Spain last year with his good friend and left me at home (I had no annual leave so couldn't go), I quiet enjoyed the peace and quiet to be honest...:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no trouble letting my other half have holidays without me... I have had breaks without him!

A similar instance that springs to mind is that a friend of his won a competition for a golfing week in Portugal for 2 people and rang to invite him along.... I said of course my husband would be up for it...... but when hubby came in I said that I had told his friend that he couldn't make the week that it was scheduled for... my husband's face was a picture until I sniggered and gave the game away....:D
  • Options
    Nia70Nia70 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as it didn't end up like the film "The hangover" Id be quite happy to let my OH go off on a holiday to Vegas :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Money is tight right now so if him or me had a holiday then we wouldn't be able to aford a family holiday which I thinks very unfair. So yes I would have a problem with it.

If money wasn't an issue I wouldn't mind at all, it would be very nice in fact!
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends on how much time/money this friend has available to go on hoilday with his wife during the rest of the year.

If he only has two weeks he can take off, or if his spending money will mean he can't afford any other holidays this year, then it might be a bit unfair on the wife. Really depends on the individual situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've holidayed without my OH before and it was his pressie to me for our 20th wedding anniversary, i'm odd i know :D

I wouldn't mind at all, its a great opportunity for him, its good to have a break from each other now and then and its freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ericabericab Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've gone away with my mum for a week in November for the last three years and my hubby doesn't mind at all. Mind you, this is an additional holiday for me, we still have our 2 week family holiday in the summer and last year, and this May, hubby & I are going away for 5 days by ourselves :D

I don't think I'd mind my hubby going away without me just so long as it didn't compromise our family holiday, in the same way I wouldn't go away with my mum if it meant our family holiday was off the agenda.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Vegas for a week last year and the OH stayed at home with the cat :D

He would be free to go away without me too - although I am not sure how I would feel about 2 weeks? That's quite a long time :o
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nia70 wrote: »
    As long as it didn't end up like the film "The hangover" Id be quite happy to let my OH go off on a holiday to Vegas :D

Just remember, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Something which the best-man at my friends wedding decided to forget about during his speech :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm honest I'd be pissed off. A short break is ok, but 2 weeks is a bit too long.

I like to think when you're with someone you should holiday together unless you piss each other off on holiday. I know some couples like to holiday apart.

Also some people can't have unlimited time off and even if you pay I'd expect your friend would still spend a lot. Might compromise any holiday he is planning with his other half.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sulriss wrote: »
    If I'm honest I'd be pissed off. A short break is ok, but 2 weeks is a bit too long.

I agree. If it was 3 or 4 days it wouldn't be an issue, but for your partner to go abroad for a 2-week holiday with someone else seems a bit much. If my partner said she was going away for 2 weeks with her best mate it would definitely piss me off, although I'm not sure what I'd do or say about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    I think it would depend on the friend..

Someone who would encourage him to get drunk and play around or someone i know and trust? With the latter, obviously it wouldn't matter so much. I'd be jealous that i wasn't going, but i'd be happy for him.

I'm not married though.

Can't believe you won a holiday! Lucky bugger. What competition did you enter?
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    my wife and i holiday apart all the time. we always try and have one holiday a year together as a family though.

longest we are usually apart at any one time on our individual holidays though is a week.
  • Options
    hrh7hrh7 Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I think it depends whether she feels he's trustworthy. Do you?

My o/h went off ski-ing with friends when we'd got a young baby and I didn't mind at all. He went with a couple and a few single women! But I knew the guy of the couple would have some very serious words to say to him if there'd been any funny business, he's that sort of guy! (Also one of the girls was his sister-in-law).

However, I was telling a friend of mine about it just before he went and thought she gave me an old fashioned look. Months later she told me the story of how she and her husband met when they were both teachers taking a ski-ing trip away, and at the time he was still married to his 1st wife (though things weren't good) so no wonder the odd look.

I'm now a counsellor and I've heard a few tales of o/hs going off on lads' ski-ing/golfing/footballing weeks and terrible things happening which the wife can't get over.

So OP if he goes I hold you accountable to make sure what happens in Vegas doesn't only stay in Vegas but doesn't happen in the first place!!

And 2 weeks is a long time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in a little office with several happily married, older gentlemen. They go on a golfing holiday to Spain together every year.

What goes on in Spain definitely stays in Spain.

It's their time to catch up on the sex they don't get all year from their wives. If their wives found out, I think they just would not believe it. :eek:
  • Options
    bmillambmillam Posts: 6,065
    Forum Member
    so long as he arranges a supa holiday that SHE will enjoy/wants as there next holiday I expect he will get away with it.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wife and I rarely holiday together - we enjoy different things. Ever few years, though we will go together. It's all a matter of trust. She was so used to me working away from home, we felt a holiday was no different to that level of trust.

She goes away with her pals and does her thing, I go on mine.

And we've been wed 39 years, so can't be going that far wrong!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone else said it depends on the circumstances.

Last year my OH couldn't afford to go away / get the time off work but I could - so he was happy for me to go for a week (in all honesty he is a laid back guy and wouldn't have minded if I went for 2 weeks). If the situation had been reversed and I couldn't afford a break but he could then there is no way I would kick up a fuss.... Although I think 2 weeks would have been a bit much :o

We've not been away since 2008 so this year we both want our main holiday to be together but other than that he can do what he likes - as can I. We've just moved so it's unlikely we'll be able to afford a separate holiday anyway!!
  • Options
    GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tinpot wrote: »
    I've won a 2 week break in Las Vegas. 2 people. :)

Thing is, the friend who'd most enjoy it is married. We've been away before, but for a couple of days at most - golfing trips, football matches. That sort of thing.

What's the etiquette here?

He'd say yes like a shot without even thinking... which is what worries me tbh. :D Would you be alright with your partner going away without you for a couple of weeks or would you secretly despise the person stealing them from you and plot their demise?

Only if she went sailing in Somalia.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Provided we were both in the habit of having holidays without each other and the holiday was not taken with a friend of the opposite sex ;), then I'd have no problem.
  • Options
    ogg monsterogg monster Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have a problem with the holiday per se, but does he have any kids? I have two under 4 and while I would be fine with husband going on holiday without me in principle, the idea of being left on my own with two young children for 2 weeks would be daunting and the kids would miss him terribly as 2 weeks is a long time for such young uns, so it would be a consideration.

That said, I wouldn't stop him going, but if there are kids involved then it is worth considering whether it leaves a disproportionately unfair burden on the wife and how any children would react.